The Student Room Group

When will religious people become a minority?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Noara
Not anytime soon honey. Religion will continue to grow :u:

The articles mentioned in this thread show the statistics that it is in fact declining...
Reply 21
[QUOTE=inhuman;65194133]The articles mentioned in this thread show the statistics that it is in fact declining...

Articles show and predict a lot of ******** . Don't believe it all. Plus haven't you heard them say not to believe everything on the net?
Reply 22
Original post by Noara
Articles show and predict a lot of ******** . Don't believe it all. Plus haven't you heard them say not to believe everything on the net?

These are official figures that you can look up yourself, such as from census data.

But believing everything in a book is better?
Original post by claireestelle
People with no religion were second highest in the last census so don't see why it won't be a majority one day in the future.

Thank God
Original post by Noara
Not anytime soon honey. Religion will continue to grow :u:

And you think that's a good thing?
Reply 25
Original post by inhuman
These are official figures that you can look up yourself, such as from census data.

But believing everything in a book is better?

Nah buddy! I rather not waste my time.

And depends on which book you're talking about.
Reply 26
[QUOTE=fr0sr_;65195235]And you think that's a good thing?

It's not a bad thing either.
Original post by mariaa17
Never. Muslims are overtaking haahahha

That's only because Muslims have more children on average.

But I believe more of the next generation of Muslims will become Atheists as our scientific knowledge continues to increase.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Noara
It's not a bad thing either.

Depends on who you ask.
IMO, the rise of religion would therefore promote (and cause) the rise of ignorance and hatred, as they always go hand in hand.

Spoiler

Reply 29
[QUOTE=fr0sr_;65196269]Depends on who you ask.
IMO, the rise of religion would therefore promote (and cause) the rise of ignorance and hatred, as they always go hand in hand.

Spoiler

Well it's clearly not religion itself that promotes hatred or arrogance or anything else. It's the people who opt to follow or not follow religion that give the wrong impression and people who think that a specific religion(s) is bad or hateful or wrong because of this are simply judging a car by its driver. So yes. Its a shame how most people don't even bother to actually understand religion but just go on hating it or disliking it whatsoever just because a bunch of ignorant people portray religion to be some form of hatred-spreading catalyst. So I have to disagree with you on this one.
But again, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.
Reply 30
I used to be religious

then I became an atheist

then I realised I was God

so.. yeah
Reply 31
Original post by Noara
Well it's clearly not religion itself that promotes hatred or arrogance or anything else. It's the people who opt to follow or not follow religion that give the wrong impression and people who think that a specific religion(s) is bad or hateful or wrong because of this are simply judging a car by its driver. So yes. Its a shame how most people don't even bother to actually understand religion but just go on hating it or disliking it whatsoever just because a bunch of ignorant people portray religion to be some form of hatred-spreading catalyst. So I have to disagree with you on this one.
But again, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

Are you sure about that?

An eye for an eye...just one of the most well known, there are a plethora of other violent and cruel teachings in the bible (to use something other than the Koran for a change).

And anyway, even if people are the ultimate cause of hatred, God's word allowing it makes it so much easier. Here you have God's word written down telling you it's ok to do x and then of course you have much less inhibitions to do it since God said it's ok.

And it's hugely ironic you call people questioning religion "ignorant". The only ignorant people are the religious who blindly follow what is written in a book from over a millenium ago.
Reply 32
[QUOTE=inhuman;65211515]Are you sure about that?

An eye for an eye...just one of the most well known, there are a plethora of other violent and cruel teachings in the bible (to use something other than the Koran for a change).

And anyway, even if people are the ultimate cause of hatred, God's word allowing it makes it so much easier. Here you have God's word written down telling you it's ok to do x and then of course you have much less inhibitions to do it since God said it's ok.

And it's hugely ironic you call people questioning religion "ignorant". The only ignorant people are the religious who blindly follow what is written in a book from over a millenium ago.

Well I'm a Muslim so let's stick to Islam please (not that I don't respect Christianity or atheism or any other religion!). Now again, it's said that IF you wanted revenge then you can do the whole "an eye for an eye" thing. Also, in the Qur'an it is said that it is appreciated by God if someone forgives someone else rather than just getting revenge. It's just said that if someone has done something horrible to you, you can get your revenge back. BUT THERE ARE CLEARLY ENDLESS examples in Qur'an of the prophets forgiving people who have hurted them emotionally/ physically (honestly, have you even read the Qur'an? Seems like you're just blabbering whatever comes to your mouth or whatever you've heard from other people!). Those stories of the kind acts of Prophets are told in order to set examples for people to forgive each other. It's said in the Qur'an that God loves those the most who forgive other people and show sympathy. But the revenge is talked about of because a) it would be unfair if someone would murder someone and could just "get away" with it, don't you think? I'm pretty damn sure that if someone brutally tortured or murdered someone you really love, you'd want them to get punished and not just go on and live their life normally b) It's been talked about revenge and punishments because that is necessary. If there were no punhisments and rules,then people would go around doing anything and everything regardless of how right or wrong it is or was. So those punishments had to be there.
Also, we don't "blindly" follow. I never called people who "question" religion ignorant. I just called people spreading hatred in the name of religion ignorant. Stop interpreting everything in the wrong way.
Reply 33
Original post by Noara
Well I'm a Muslim so let's stick to Islam please (not that I don't respect Christianity or atheism or any other religion!). Now again, it's said that IF you wanted revenge then you can do the whole "an eye for an eye" thing. Also, in the Qur'an it is said that it is appreciated by God if someone forgives someone else rather than just getting revenge. It's just said that if someone has done something horrible to you, you can get your revenge back. BUT THERE ARE CLEARLY ENDLESS examples in Qur'an of the prophets forgiving people who have hurted them emotionally/ physically (honestly, have you even read the Qur'an? Seems like you're just blabbering whatever comes to your mouth or whatever you've heard from other people!). Those stories of the kind acts of Prophets are told in order to set examples for people to forgive each other. It's said in the Qur'an that God loves those the most who forgive other people and show sympathy. But the revenge is talked about of because a) it would be unfair if someone would murder someone and could just "get away" with it, don't you think? I'm pretty damn sure that if someone brutally tortured or murdered someone you really love, you'd want them to get punished and not just go on and live their life normally b) It's been talked about revenge and punishments because that is necessary. If there were no punhisments and rules,then people would go around doing anything and everything regardless of how right or wrong it is or was. So those punishments had to be there.
Also, we don't "blindly" follow. I never called people who "question" religion ignorant. I just called people spreading hatred in the name of religion ignorant. Stop interpreting everything in the wrong way.

Sorry dinner soon so I won't read that wall of text til later, but just picked up some key words.

So why are you Muslim? I asked this another person before. If you simply look at the good things in the Koran, ignore the bad things, that is picking and choosing. And that picking and choosing is based on your personality, you are a good person so you look at the good things. You don't need the Koran to tell you what is right or wrong, you are doing that on your own. And you disregard parts of the so-called word of God. Those two combined make me question why do you need to call yourself Muslim rather than just a good person?
Original post by NickLCFC
They won't. Christianity will continue to decline and Atheism will continue to grow.

Unfortunately, Islam is also growing rapidly (pretty much exponentially).

Be more optimistic.

If the proportion of those with no religion has increased from 25% to 48% in only three years (between 2011 and 2014), then clearly the rather low base that Islam has in the UK (all religious non-Christians amount to only 7.7%) is not going to overtake non-religion in your lifetime, even with the current abominable level of immigration.

In fact, as the number of Moslems that benefit form western education and integration rise, the religion will, most likely, start to slide, just like Christianity.
Reply 35
[QUOTE=inhuman;65212511]Sorry dinner soon so I won't read that wall of text til later, but just picked up some key words.

So why are you Muslim? I asked this another person before. If you simply look at the good things in the Koran, ignore the bad things, that is picking and choosing. And that picking and choosing is based on your personality, you are a good person so you look at the good things. You don't need the Koran to tell you what is right or wrong, you are doing that on your own. And you disregard parts of the so-called word of God. Those two combined make me question why do you need to call yourself Muslim rather than just a good person?

Firstly, I don't think there is absolutely anything "wrong" in the Qur'an. It's all there for a reason. Secondly, I follow Islam because it makes sense to me and because I honestly believe in everything that is said in it. I'm not claiming that im a perfect Muslim. Infact, I'm one of those really bad Muslims who don't practice Islam a lot. I do pray but I do miss a lot of prayers. I do a lot of stuff that Islam doesn't allows but then maybe it does, because there is a lot of leniency in Islam and conditions under which a lot of stuff if allowed as God knows human nature. There's also forgiveness. I also believe that this world could not exist without God. Again, those are my beliefs. I respect everyone's religion and opinions and views but neither I did nor I ever will respect anyone who insults others religions whether that religion in question is Christianity, Atheism, Islam or any other religion. I just feel like if people would actually take the time to sit down and study Islam properly, it would all make sense to them rather than if they just go around asking other Muslims who most of the time,themselves don't know a lot about Islam.
You and @John55 are so far the only people on here who make me actually lol
Original post by 0to100
You and @John55 are so far the only people on here who make me actually lol

Why do I make you lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
With all this immigration the UK's gonna become a religious extremist state before atheist.
Original post by Madeline_H95
With all this immigration the UK's gonna become a religious extremist state before atheist.

Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending