The Student Room Group

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Scroll to see replies

And what did anyone put on the last page about competitive inhibitors for Alzeimers because the way that question was worded really confused me
Original post by Luchamb
Couldnt you just compare the sequence of bases and the amount?

This is what i did!! I wrote the number of base sequences and the sequences of bases themselves!
Original post by funkykid295
On the HIV qs about semi- conservative replication I out DNA-HELICASE breaks hydrogen bonds separating strands. DNA-Polymerase binds RNA-polynucleotides to DNA template strand. Did anyone else out anything similar????

yeah apparently template strand was already made so you probly wont lose any marks for not talking about helicase
Original post by funkykid295
And what did anyone put on the last page about competitive inhibitors for Alzeimers because the way that question was worded really confused me

I did! I wrote that the drug would be an inhibitor or b-secretase so less enzyme substrates form = less small proteins = less 'alypohid' proteins = less plaque
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
yeah apparently template strand was already made so you probly wont lose any marks for not talking about helicase
what was your answer??
Original post by liziepie
It already told you in the question it helped with diffusion, so maybe not.

I put that it may have been an enzyme because at the bottom there was an arrow pointing to a depression in the protein saying 'substrate'
What was the other function of Y?
Also what was the answer to question which talked about why 100 mol dm-3 should be used? I think a student said it was the best way
And also what would happen if the spindle fibres were pulled to only one pole?
I wrote something about how it only impacted 93% of the cancer cells and other rapid growing cells would be impacted by the solution so not 100% should be used
Original post by james..michael
And also what would happen if the spindle fibres were pulled to only one pole?

sister chromatids wouldnot separate and all end up in the same cell, not producing 2 daughter cells
Original post by Lowry1999
sister chromatids wouldnot separate and all end up in the same cell, not producing 2 daughter cells

Cheers bud, I think I just said 'two new cells would not be produced because the chromatids did not seperate)

What was he answer to the other function of y
Original post by james..michael
Cheers bud, I think I just said 'two new cells would not be produced because the chromatids did not seperate)

What was he answer to the other function of y

i wasnt too sure, i thought it was a channel protein which diffuses charged particles through it, but again im not confident on that
Reply 433
Original post by CrazyFool229
That's what I said them basically, I just didn't specifically use the word isomers. Darn it.

You probs don't have to say isomer to get the marks so you should be fine:smile:
Reply 434
Has anyone made a mark scheme?
Original post by BamSrown
Anyone else get 10 for the rate of reaction?

Yes I got 9.something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saulgreen
completely forgot they had different sugars!! I put that DNA has a double helix, thymine instead of uracile and then for the last one put that RNA contains no introns as it has been spliced. Do you think I'd get the mark for that cause its technically not wrong, but I don't think thats the kind of structural differences they were looking for

I'd say that you got two marks out of the three. Yes, I don't think they would take introns as a viable answer.
Original post by Bluequen18
I didn't have a clue! I literally just explained how to plot a graph using the results!

Use the calirometer to plot the results of the intensity of the reducing sugar colour and then plot it against a calibration curve against of the concentration of the reducing sugar. Then read off of the graph to find the specified concentration of reducing sugar and the result from the calirometer.
A Calirometer is used to estimate the answer to a value without having tat specific value. You do this by drawing a graph with the values you do have and then reading off from the graph to find the value you are after.
I got 11 for rate of reaction
Original post by lilyjacks
I got 11 for rate of reaction

Sounds very close.
Did you draw a tangent to the curve and then work out the rate of reaction by doing m=y2-y1/x2-x1?
If so, then you would have got the correct answer as they will give a range of answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending