The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hovado
Convicting a paedophile could be part of a prevention strategy, so more like convicting someone for being a non violent extremist.

Thoughtcrime is impossible to police
Reply 141
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I could be considered a non violent extremist with my political views.

Locking people up for thinking is not compatible with liberal democracy.

Oh, I agree entirely, just not with your comparison to homosexuals. How about drug use, another thought crime. Anyway if as some claim it is a mental disorder we don't need to convict them we can lock them up under the mental health act.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by hezzlington
Thoughtcrime is impossible to police

Afraid not. :frown: You obviously can't police all thought, but you don't need to, catch a few scare the rest.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by libidothief
Is there something wrong with wanting people who have raped children which has caused horrible PtSD to suffer? These people have ruined lives. I think it's alright for them to suffer if they've caused even worse suffering themselves.

Wrong with thinking it on a personal level during moments of anger? No.

Running a civilised society based on causing suffering as punishment for causing suffering? Yes, it is and I wouldn't advise it.
Original post by Elivercury
Wrong with thinking it on a personal level during moments of anger? No.

Running a civilised society based on causing suffering as punishment for causing suffering? Yes, it is and I wouldn't advise it.

Well they've caused suffering so they should be responsible for their own if they're going to cause some themselves.

Before you all think I am morally inept, you know I wouldn't want a normal person to suffer. Heck, I feel guilty fairly easily. However, someone who has raped an innocent child? I don't think they deserve any sympathy. :biggrin:
Reply 145
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
I disagree. There are different levels of murder. Someone who murders someone for murdering their child, is no where near as bad as this scum raping 6 month olds ffs

So you would rather someone carrying out revenge on you to murder your child rather than rape them if you had the choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deyesy
In my humble opinion; we should be exploring the reasons behind paedophilia and trying to rehabilitate those who suffer from the disorder. It's absolutely vile and the those guilty of it deserve to be locked up for a very long time but when did killing anyone ever achieve anything?

Flawed.

In my opinion, much like homosexuality, heterosexuality, bisexuality, beastiality, paedophilia is down to the genes. Of course I'm not throwing homosexuality and paedophilia/beastiality in the same bucket, my point is that these are all "sexualities".

Back in the days when we thought homosexuality was a crime against nature and tried to fix it, we won't be able to fix paedophilia. The men, and some times women, who "suffer" from it will continue to have those urges and will not be able to control them.

So we cannot rehabilitate them, it's who they are and who they always will be - vile monsters.
Well they've caused suffering so they should be responsible for their own if they're going to cause some themselves.

Before you all think I am morally inept, you know I wouldn't want a normal person to suffer. Heck, I feel guilty fairly easily. However, someone who has raped an innocent child? I don't think they deserve any sympathy. :biggrin:

Suppose we go down the route of making those who have raped, murdered etc. 'suffer, presumably through torture. Are you going to apply to do the torturing?

I'm guessing not, but someone will need to. Even if you let the victims do it, what sort of effect do you think that has on them and their mental health?

To say nothing of wrongful convictions! "Oh, we're sorry we went and tortured you, when it turns out you're totally innocent...forgive and forget?".

Or do we now have the situation where the guy you tortured wrongly should be able to torture you? An eye for an eye after all.

The entire concept is ridiculous and that is why we don't have it. If someone is dangerous and bad for society, we lock them away where they can't do any harm and go on living our lives. It's simple, but effective.
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
Actually I see their point. I mean you're actively ruining a child's life in the present and future.

What's worse between these two then:

Child abuse?

or

Killing a child?
Suppose we go down the route of making those who have raped, murdered etc. 'suffer, presumably through torture. Are you going to apply to do the torturing?

I'm guessing not, but someone will need to. Even if you let the victims do it, what sort of effect do you think that has on them and their mental health?

To say nothing of wrongful convictions! "Oh, we're sorry we went and tortured you, when it turns out you're totally innocent...forgive and forget?".

Or do we now have the situation where the guy you tortured wrongly should be able to torture you? An eye for an eye after all.

The entire concept is ridiculous and that is why we don't have it. If someone is dangerous and bad for society, we lock them away where they can't do any harm and go on living our lives. It's simple, but effective.

Oh I'm not on about any torturing that needs to be "done" I'm on about just leaving them in dull conditions with time to think about their actions and to feel guilt. Oh wait, they cannot feel guilt. They're ****ing psychopaths.

Also, I'm on about the ones where there is 100% evidence that they have committed the inhumane crime. Sorry for not being that clear about that.
Original post by The Roast
Flawed.

In my opinion, much like homosexuality, heterosexuality, bisexuality, beastiality, paedophilia is down to the genes. Of course I'm not throwing homosexuality and paedophilia/beastiality in the same bucket, my point is that these are all "sexualities".

Back in the days when we thought homosexuality was a crime against nature and tried to fix it, we won't be able to fix paedophilia. The men, and some times women, who "suffer" from it will continue to have those urges and will not be able to control them.

So we cannot rehabilitate them, it's who they are and who they always will be - vile monsters.

So you state that paedophilia is genetic and can't be helped, the same as being homo/heterosexual. Yet if you are a paedophile you are a vile monster? Wow, harsh. Anyone else you'd like to throw on the pile? Black people? Polish?

While distasteful, ultimately if someone with that sort of inclination is minding their own business and leaving children alone, there is no reason they should be treated any different from anyone else - and ultimately how would you even know? The same goes for people with rape fantasies. Fantasise all you want, provided you don't act on them, it is no one else's business.
Oh I'm not on about any torturing that needs to be "done" I'm on about just leaving them in dull conditions with time to think about their actions and to feel guilt. Oh wait, they cannot feel guilt. They're ****ing psychopaths.

Also, I'm on about the ones where there is 100% evidence that they have committed the inhumane crime. Sorry for not being that clear about that.

Can you ever be 100% sure of anything? Also if we are to agree that you can be, who assigns the percentages? Who is the person who decides that they are 100% certain?

Bad stuff happens in the world, I don't like it, but lowering ourselves to their level is not the way forward. Exclude them from the civilised world and move on, don't demand blood in recompense.

Also leaving them in dull conditions with time to think about their actions is basically what prison is. It could be argued prisons are too nice, but that's a totally separate topic to implementing torture or the death penalty.
So you state that paedophilia is genetic and can't be helped, the same as being homo/heterosexual. Yet if you are a paedophile you are a vile monster? Wow, harsh. Anyone else you'd like to throw on the pile? Black people? Polish?

While distasteful, ultimately if someone with that sort of inclination is minding their own business and leaving children alone, there is no reason they should be treated any different from anyone else - and ultimately how would you even know? The same goes for people with rape fantasies. Fantasise all you want, provided you don't act on them, it is no one else's business.

Calm down you melt. I'm 100% positive paedophilia is down to a genetic defect, it makes sense.

Of course paedophilia is vile, whether you act on it or not... sexually fantasising about children is deplorable.

It's not healthy to fantasise either, a lot of these sick freaks will eventually carry out their acts to some extent. It's in their nature.

You hear loads of stories about guys struggling with their sexuality and trying to contain it but end up either killing themselves or performing a sexual act. Paedophiles aren't any different.
Can you ever be 100% sure of anything? Also if we are to agree that you can be, who assigns the percentages? Who is the person who decides that they are 100% certain?

Bad stuff happens in the world, I don't like it, but lowering ourselves to their level is not the way forward. Exclude them from the civilised world and move on, don't demand blood in recompense.

Also leaving them in dull conditions with time to think about their actions is basically what prison is. It could be argued prisons are too nice, but that's a totally separate topic to implementing torture or the death penalty.

Alright fine. I'll admit I was going a bit too into how I feel towards them personally rather than how it would work out realistically, but I still disagree with how some people on here have called me morally inept.
All this mushy talk of 'rehabilitation'.... There can be no rehabilitation for sadistic people like that. They are not victims and even if they were victims themselves in that past that does not justify their abhorrent crimes. Children will never be safe in their presence. Some things are just unforgivable.
What's worse between these two then:

Child abuse?

or

Killing a child?

No what I'm trying to say is those kids probably sometimes wish they were gone instead of living a constant hell.
I'm 100% positive paedophilia is down to a genetic defect, it makes sense.

Where is the evidence for this genetic defect? Do you honestly think there is a paedophile gene? If so can it be found in women or is it just on the 'Y' chromosome? What is the biological test for paedophilia?
Original post by lotusbloom
Where is the evidence for this genetic defect? Do you honestly think there is a paedophile gene? What is the biological test for paedophilia?

I do. I never said there was any solid evidence, it's a genetic defect in my opinion.

There's certainly a gay gene, probably a straight gene too or a lack of, there has to be a gene for paedophilia because it is a sexually orientation in itself.

It's logical.

Well seeing that most cases of paedophilia are perpetrated by men, so it seems to be an issue with the 'Y' chromosome. Or it could be down to a segment of the brain itself, the sector that controls emotions.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's logical.

It's quackery.
Original post by lotusbloom
It's quackery.

I'm not pretending to be a professional in this domain you utter dunce, it's my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending