The Student Room Group

DSA & laptop

I'm due a DSA assessment soon & wondering if they want to give me a laptop could I instead ask for help towards the MacBook Pro I'm saving for?!
I'm only used to macs these days and they're easier for my dyspraxia but the one I currently have access to is my husbands desktop that is always in use by him or the kids, I need the ability to study anywhere at any time.
I can't cope with Windows, never have its all a mess to me.
Of course I wouldn't expect them to pay for it all for me but be nice if they could help me :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I bought mine myself and they gave me a £95 refund, they won't give you much
Original post by FBM_Warrior
I'm due a DSA assessment soon & wondering if they want to give me a laptop could I instead ask for help towards the MacBook Pro I'm saving for?!
I'm only used to macs these days and they're easier for my dyspraxia but the one I currently have access to is my husbands desktop that is always in use by him or the kids, I need the ability to study anywhere at any time.
I can't cope with Windows, never have its all a mess to me.
Of course I wouldn't expect them to pay for it all for me but be nice if they could help me :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they can give you up to £200 but I'm not sure.
You ll probably need to pay upgrade costs to the supplier, so it's likely you ll pay most of the price yourself although it's cheaper than getting it from Apple:smile:
Do macs have nice soft keyboards? As a dyspraxic I like them to not need pressing much and I ve never considered trying a Mac before, just found the most comfy Windows keyboard available.
Reply 4
Tbh I'd prefer it if I was able to go to Apple Store & get the exact one I want, which I already know
And if you take proof or admittance to uni you can get an educational discount :-)

Apple keys are great, no need to press hard :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Don't go out and buy anything just yet. If you are awarded funding for a computer, you'll receive a letter confirming entitlement and also giving advice on what to do if you want to upgrade the equipment. I think you will need to contact SFE once you have your letter and they will then send you a revised letter showing how much they will contribute.

You have to pay £200 towards whatever computer you're offered. SFE would then pay the rest; as another poster has said, this is around £95-£100.

You can buy your computer from Apple, but you will have to pay upfront yourself, then claim the £95 or so back from SFE by sending in your receipt. You need to remember to make sure that you buy all risks insurance to cover you up to the end of your course. You'll also have to pay if any software you're recommended costs more in a Mac version.
(edited 7 years ago)
The £200 only applies to SFE students. The amount SFE (or indeed any funding body) will pay towards a laptop, depends on the persons needs.
Reply 7
Oh I'm not going to buy it until I've had my assessment :-)
But looking at the discount I can get through Apple education, it's not loads but it's something :-)
I wouldn't want to be paying £200 for a laptop I really don't want or can't stand to use
I just hope they understand what I'd like & be best with & already able to use with ease :-)
I am under SFE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest