The Student Room Group

Biology help - chromosome

Do chromatids twisted together or not - a or b?
IMG_3408.jpg
Thanks
Reply 1
It should be (a). Why do you think it could be (b)?
Why do chromosomes stick together?
because they're bromosomes
Reply 3
Original post by katieMCR

I rate you
Original post by katieMCR

The door please
Original post by Ordo
IMG_3408.jpg
Thanks

its B
Reply 6
Original post by Sciatic
It should be (a). Why do you think it could be (b)?

It's B- because each chromatid is from each parent- it wouldn't make sense for both the maternal and paternal chromatid to have a mix
Reply 7
B. Theyre just two seperate strands of DNA which are joined together by the thing in the middle (the centromere)

Btw good one @Sciatic
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Nayzar
B. Theyre just two seperate strands of DNA which are joined together by the thing in the middle (the centromere)

Btw good one @Sciatic

Nope, I've always visualised them as (a). Perhaps they are the same thing in two different angles; (a) being seen from above and (b) being seen from laterally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by MMMSS
It's B- because each chromatid is from each parent- it wouldn't make sense for both the maternal and paternal chromatid to have a mix

Original post by Nayzar

Thanks guys i understand it now :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Sciatic
Nope, I've always visualised them as (a). Perhaps they are the same thing in two different angles; (a) being seen from above and (b) being seen from laterally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well true fair enough i guess u could be a but B is the general representation bc its more accurate
Original post by Ordo
IMG_3408.jpg
Thanks

Since sister chromatids are identical copies of the original 'chromosome' then both a and b are correct, and it doesn't actually matter.

In reality, b is 'more correct' for A-level since the copies are attached by the centromere but remain separate.

However, sister chromatids are not drawn in different colours as they are identical.

Non-sister chromatids on homologous chromosomes are drawn in different colours as they are non-identical due to allelic variation.
Original post by Why-_-Study-_-
The door please

i know, it was terrible. but thats why it had to be put.... okay..... feel free to slam the door violently behind me will you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending