The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Biology 2016 Predictions thread (F214/F215)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you so much for these predictions, but can find out if your teacher has made any for f212 please
Reply 21
Original post by Raysfc16
Thank you so much for these predictions, but can find out if your teacher has made any for f212 please

You're welcome!
I'm not too sure about F212 bc I only resat F211. But I remember my teacher mentioning smoking and diseases (and antibody response) probably will come up. Not sure about the rest, sorry!
Original post by sfarquhar0
You're welcome!
I'm not too sure about F212 bc I only resat F211. But I remember my teacher mentioning smoking and diseases (and antibody response) probably will come up. Not sure about the rest, sorry!

thats alright, but thanks for mentioning what you could remember
Hi there,

If you dont mind me asking, when you say these are based partly on what your teachers have said and then your own personal ideas. Where do you get your own ideas, is it from looking at what has come up recently?
Reply 24
Original post by GeologyBoy
Hi there,

If you dont mind me asking, when you say these are based partly on what your teachers have said and then your own personal ideas. Where do you get your own ideas, is it from looking at what has come up recently?

Mainly based on what has come up recently and in previous years and how exams generally follow a trend in what they ask. Also, this is the last year for out exam board so they are likely to ask stuff that hasn't come up much before. Again, these predictions are based on rough ideas, but I tend to find they are generally true. I found the stuff that came up last year was quite well predicted, especially for F212
question- do i need to know f211 info for f212 as I'm only taking f212 and i know with the A2 stuff you're meant to know it all ? thanks!
Reply 26
Original post by rsmith1234
question- do i need to know f211 info for f212 as I'm only taking f212 and i know with the A2 stuff you're meant to know it all ? thanks!

Maybe go over the F211 module briefly. I don't think they will ask you much on it though
Mainly based on what has come up recently and in previous years and how exams generally follow a trend in what they ask. Also, this is the last year for out exam board so they are likely to ask stuff that hasn't come up much before. Again, these predictions are based on rough ideas, but I tend to find they are generally true. I found the stuff that came up last year was quite well predicted, especially for F212

Thanks very much
Best of luck and I appreciate the time you've spent doing this

:smile:
Reply 28
Thanks very much
Best of luck and I appreciate the time you've spent doing this

:smile:

No problem! Hope your revision goes well for you also x
She said it had a strong possibility of coming up, but don't focus on it too much

Ah ok thanks! I've knuckled down the important bits like the l*pir^2 and how it works in my head, maybe i won't sit down a memorize the steps like i was planning then haha. Thanks.
Thank you sooooo much for these predictions. Great help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
f215:

cellular control:
- mutations (advantageous/non advantageous)
- body plans (most likely a long, application question)
- translation/transcription
- epistasis
- hardy-weinberg calculation (my teacher said this had a very strong chance of coming up)

biotechnology:
- cloning animals (embryo splitting/nuclear transfer)
- asepsis
- pcr
- gene therapy
- use of bacteria in biotechnology

ecosystems:
- improving productivity
- succession (application)
- nitrogen cycle (detailed)
- conservation and the galapagos

response:

- apical dominance
-sympathetic/parasympathetic pathways
- muscles (almost certain) & sliding filament model
- dopamine and its effects

thank you
Is there a F215 Prediction paper?
Reply 33
Original post by Adamp123
Is there a F215 Prediction paper?

Not that I know of at the moment.
Reply 34
Quick question about coenzymes. Do we need to know what they're made of? For example how NAD is made of 2 phosphoryl groups, 2 ribose sugars, nitrogenous base, adenine and nicotinamide ring? I haven't seen questions come up on this but I'm still unsure about leaving it because it's in the textbook.
Reply 35
On the question about ornithine cycle, is the two answers meant to be water. Surely one must be CO2
Reply 36
Thank you for this list, has helped me to make one of my own :smile: Though, surely anaerobic respiration is fairly unlikely to come up as there was a 5 marker in last year's paper?
Could you share your list?
Thanks
Reply 38
Could you share your list?
Thanks

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I thought I'd share my list anyway! It's mainly just a guess from what came up last year and the year before that (and I happened to guess fairly accurately for the F212 exam on Tuesday so hopefully my luck will continue haha). I've split the list into two sections, one being topics/questions that came up last year and therefore might be unlikely come up again, and topics that didn't come up so may be in this years paper. Ideally you should revise everything, but with only about a week to the exam, you kind of have to prioritise topics (or at least I do anyway):

F214 - Topics that came up in 2015:
Structure and how adaptations relate to functionality of chloroplasts
Limiting factors of photosynthesis
Adrenaline
Insulin secretion
Where reactions happen within the mitochondria
Anaerobic vs Aerobic respiration
Dialysis
Motor Neurone structure vs Sensory Neurone structure
Homeostasis

F214 - What could come up this year:
Action potentials and depolarisation
Synapses
Ornithine cycle
Osmoregulation
General kidney function
1st/2nd messengers
Control of heart rate
Structure of liver lobules
Oxidative phosphorylation and respiration in general (as wasn't in last years exam)
Diabetes - causes of, treatments etc
The pancreas - glucose regulation with insulin and glucagon etc.

Those are just what I'll personally be cramming before the exam, but OCR seem to like catching people out with unlikely questions on topics... so best to cover everything the best you can!
Reply 39
Original post by KB_97
Quick question about coenzymes. Do we need to know what they're made of? For example how NAD is made of 2 phosphoryl groups, 2 ribose sugars, nitrogenous base, adenine and nicotinamide ring? I haven't seen questions come up on this but I'm still unsure about leaving it because it's in the textbook.

I've talked about this before with other people, but I'm still not sure. I don't think they would ask us to draw the whole structure of the bat, but it may be included in some kind of application question. I would suggest breifly going over it, but I don't think we would have to completely memorise it. Maybe just mention it breifly in your notes/flashcards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending