The Student Room Group

Giving two answers

If I give two answers by two different solutions in M1 and one of the two is correct do I get the marks?
I think you would get the marks for it.
Reply 2
Original post by sebuinos
If I give two answers by two different solutions in M1 and one of the two is correct do I get the marks?

Probably not. You wouldn't have shown a clear method unless you crossed the incorrect method.
Reply 3
If you're sitting edexcel, this is what their mark schemes say:

"6. If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question:
-If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is NOT crossedout.
-If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark all theattempts and score the highest single attempt."
Reply 4
Original post by LukeB98
If you're sitting edexcel, this is what their mark schemes say:

"6. If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question:
-If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is NOT crossedout.
-If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark all theattempts and score the highest single attempt."

So if I have found the correct answer I will get the marks
Reply 5
Original post by sebuinos
So if I have found the correct answer I will get the marks

Yes. When I was doing the Edexcel Mechanics module exams, I was told that if I weren't sure whether my method/attempt was right to just do it again WITHOUT crossing out my previous attempts. You get full marks if any of your answers and method is right, as long as that final answer is clearly indicated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Sciatic
Yes. When I was doing the Edexcel Mechanics module exams, I was told that if I weren't sure whether my method/attempt was right to just do it again WITHOUT crossing out my previous attempts. You get full marks if any of your answers and method is right, as long as that final answer is clearly indicated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by Sciatic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure though that this has not changed?
Reply 8
OCR marking is as follows
If there are two or more attempts at a question which have not been crossed out, examiners should mark what appears to be the last (complete) attempt and ignore the others

If this rule was not applied, the candidate could give conflicting answers and know the incorrect would be ignored. This would also happen in an Edexcel paper. If the candidate was using this as a technique the paper would be referred by the marker
Reply 9
Original post by nerak99
OCR marking is as follows
If there are two or more attempts at a question which have not been crossed out, examiners should mark what appears to be the last (complete) attempt and ignore the others

If this rule was not applied, the candidate could give conflicting answers and know the incorrect would be ignored. This would also happen in an Edexcel paper. If the candidate was using this as a technique the paper would be referred by the marker

Indeed, one shouldn't do this on every question but I often repeat an answer and forget to cross the others out. So obviously this rule in the mark schemes for edexcel shouldn't be abused as I'd imagine they wouldn't count it if it was obvious a candidate was using it as merely a way to ensure they get the marks.
Original post by LukeB98
Indeed, one shouldn't do this on every question but I often repeat an answer and forget to cross the others out. So obviously this rule in the mark schemes for edexcel shouldn't be abused as I'd imagine they wouldn't count it if it was obvious a candidate was using it as merely a way to ensure they get the marks.

So, if I was faced with working that in one version gave the answer 2 and the other gave the answer -2 with no crossing out, I would refer it. In any case you would lose the A mark.
Reply 11
Yeah if none are crossed out
Though personally I even crossed out a correct solution and wrote a wrong one and they marked the first solution, there is a lot of leniency, examiners are trying to give marks, not take them away
Reply 12
Original post by LukeB98

What about edexcel though?

Quick Reply

Latest