The Student Room Group

tribute to the great

this is a tribute page to the great Muhammad Ali who has passed but will never be forgotten. his funeral is today so lets all pay our tribute.
"I don't have to be what you want me to be."Muhammad Ali

Scroll to see replies

fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee. do not try and hit what you cannot see
‘A black man should be killed if he’s messing around with a white women,’ he said.And if a black woman was messing with a white man?‘Then she dies. Kill her too.’

Muhammad Ali
the

Original post by BaconandSauce
‘A black man should be killed if he’s messing around with a white women,’ he said.And if a black woman was messing with a white man?‘Then she dies. Kill her too.’

Muhammad Ali

the great was young when he said this and he repented. let us not berate the passed, instead let us celebrate his life and the good
Original post by lascelles101
let us not berate the passed,

And let's not forget it

at the time these were powerful words
it was before he converted was it not?
"Cassius Clay is a slave name. I didn't choose it and I don't want it. I am
Muhammad Ali, a free name - it means beloved of God - and I insist people use it
when people speak to me and of me."
it was before he converted was it not?
"Cassius Clay is a slave name. I didn't choose it and I don't want it. I am
Muhammad Ali, a free name - it means beloved of God - and I insist people use it
when people speak to me and of me."

No It was after and when he was a member of the racist group 'Nation of Islam'

Don't forget that he may have mellowed his views later in life but does that excuse this?
No It was after and when he was a member of the racist group 'Nation of Islam'

Don't forget that he may have mellowed his views later in life but does that excuse this?

depends, do you believe in repenting sins? do you believe i forgiveness? do you believe in wieghing up good and bad??
depends, do you believe in repenting sins? do you believe i forgiveness? do you believe in wieghing up good and bad??

I am not god so no I don't

rightly some peoples whole careers have been destroyed over a single racist remark

was he apologetic for his racism? I've found nothing that said he did

But tell me if he was white and he said this do you think he should be forgiven and still hold the title 'the greatest'?

He should have been stripped of all his titles and thrown into the wilderness
I am not god so no I don't

rightly some peoples whole careers have been destroyed over a single racist remark

was he apologetic for his racism? I've found nothing that said he did

But tell me if he was white and he said this do you think he should be forgiven and still hold the title 'the greatest'?

He should have been stripped of all his titles and thrown into the wilderness

as i said it was when he was cassius clay not muhhamed ali. this is from an article
Ali’s opinions drew strong criticism even from civil rights champion Dr Martin Luther King, who commented: ‘When Cassius Clay joined the Black Muslims, he became a champion of racial segregation and that is what we are fighting against.’
So let’s cut the absurd, deluded pretence that Muhammad Ali wasn’t a man who spewed a lot of very hateful, racist claptrap when he was young, because he indisputably did.
But then Ali grew up, matured and in the process changed dramatically in his views and beliefs.
‘The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life,’ he memorably observed.
And Ali didn’t waste a day, morphing from angry firebrand activity to public advocate for global peace and harmony.
“Over the years my religion has changed and my spirituality has evolved,’ he latterly explained, ‘religion and spirituality are very different, but people often confuse the two. Some things cannot be taught, but they can be awakened in the heart.
as i said it was when he was cassius clay not muhhamed ali. this is from an article

‘When Cassius Clay joined the Black Muslims, he became a champion of racial segregation and that is what we are fighting against.’

as you can see you are wrong it was when he joined the nation of Islam not before
and as you post clearly states

So let’s cut the absurd, deluded pretence that Muhammad Ali wasn’t a man who spewed a lot of very hateful, racist claptrap when he was young

he did and this should not be simply ignored
as you can see you are wrong it was when he joined the nation of Islam not before

‘religion and spirituality are very different, but people often confuse the two. Some things cannot be taught, but they can be awakened in the heart.
yes but i am referring to when he changed his name. it was after that and he addmitted he was wrong
‘religion and spirituality are very different, but people often confuse the two. Some things cannot be taught, but they can be awakened in the heart.
yes but i am referring to when he changed his name. it was after that and he addmitted he was wrong

Is that all it takes for you to ignore the horrible racist comments he made?

But as you can see it was when he was a member of the nation of Islam that he was at his most racist what he called himself is irrelevant
Is that all it takes for you to ignore the horrible racist comments he made?

But as you can see it was when he was a member of the nation of Islam that he was at his most racist what he called himself is irrelevant

no he was a rascist and a discriminative young man. but when you grow, you learn and grow, in which he did.
Muhammad Ali was wrong about many things he spouted as a provocative young man, but right about so many as he reached old age.
Let us all learn from his wisdom and act upon it.
no he was a rascist and a discriminative young man. but when you grow, you learn and grow, in which he did.
Muhammad Ali was wrong about many things he spouted as a provocative young man, but right about so many as he reached old age.
Let us all learn from his wisdom and act upon it.

I prefer to keep racists at arms length and not eulogize them in the national press

but this distortion of who he was and what he did is quite shocking
I prefer to keep racists at arms length and not eulogize them in the national press

but this distortion of who he was and what he did is quite shocking

why is it? you learn from the past, for the future
why is it? you learn from the past, for the future

Yes and we now know you treat racists as the idiots they are

If he were fighting today and said what he did he would have been stripped of his titles arrested for inciting violence and be a social pariah for the rest of his life and IMO rightly so.
Yes and we now know you treat racists as the idiots they are

If he were fighting today and said what he did he would have been stripped of his titles arrested for inciting violence and be a social pariah for the rest of his life and IMO rightly so.

well he was not, ant imo he changed, and repented. if you say that then david cameron should not lead us because hes stupid as he shoved his genitals in a pigs head
well he was not, ant imo he changed, and repented. if you say that then david cameron should not lead us because hes stupid as he shoved his genitals in a pigs head

right because that is the same as saying people who are in a mixed race relationships should be killed

completely comparable /sarc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending