The Student Room Group

Are you patriotic?

as a proud Brit i am outraged by the general lack of enthusiasm for our country or its history, within today's youth. if you wouldn't mind saying whether you are patriotic or not and state why.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not because I don't care about history and all that stuff.
Original post by Razamataz666
as a proud Brit i am outraged by the general lack of enthusiasm for our country or its history, within today's youth. if you wouldn't mind saying whether you are patriotic or not and state why.

I agree. I am also disappointed with the lack of confidence people generally have in our country in spite of not only our history but our current position in the world.
Original post by Vikingninja
I'm not because I don't care about history and all that stuff.

sad to hear to be honest considering we have such a vast and magnificent history.
Lived in Britain for 12 years, but I'm a Finnish citizen and I was born in Helsinki....regardless, I still have a little bit of patriotism towards the UK in some situations I guess. In most circumstances, I don't feel the need to show patriotic behaviour- or maybe it's bc it's too much effort, idk.
sad to hear to be honest considering we have such a vast and magnificent history.

I find it boring. The Romans came, they went, some Saxons came, they didn't go, Vikings came, that was complicated, Normans came, there was a big battle, there were some kings, some were mugs, some rebellions happened, queen Elizabeth (probably the best part especially against the armada), there was a part about some posh people, we made an empire, so did everyone else and then it collapsed.
Original post by bluebookie
Lived in Britain for 12 years, but I'm a Finnish citizen and I was born in Helsinki....regardless, I still have a little bit of patriotism towards the UK in some situations I guess. In most circumstances, I don't feel the need to show patriotic behaviour- or maybe it's bc it's too much effort, idk.

Honestly, considering finland's history, you should probably have a lot of pride in that too.
Reply 7

I'd give my very last drop of blood for Britain.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Honestly, considering finland's history, you should probably have a lot of pride in that too.

I do take pride in Finland, but I guess I'm not well-informed history wise (which is pretty bad, but oh well). I feel like patriotism is a bit expanded for me, it's meant to be loyalty to one country but I kinda broke the rules there.
I think patriotism is a daft concept.
Reply 10
Very much so. Not in a crass, flag waving sort of way, it's more of a deep sense of connection to these lands, it's history, it's myths and folklore, and to my ancestors who helped build it all.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not very patriotic, though I do support England in international football tournaments and so have a bunch of merchandise with St George's cross plastered over it
Original post by Serine Soul
I'm not very patriotic, though I do support England in international football tournaments and so have a bunch of merchandise with St George's cross plastered over it

Let's win the Euros!
nah:u:
Original post by champ_mc99
Let's win the Euros!

Tbh all we can do is hope

Going to get my fake nails out tomorrow nevertheless :tongue:
Yep I want Britain to be bout British :u:
I'm definitely patriotic. Being so doesn't make you anti anyone else.

My Welsh mum however refuses to let me hang England flags on side of the house. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I think patriotism is a daft concept.

I am on the opposite side of the fence!!
Im very patriotic, the next big mouth that talks smack about Britain or South Yemen will catch these hands.
I like British culture but i'm not massively patriotic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending