The Student Room Group

B7 21C (21st Century New GCSE Biology - UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME

All the questions I remember. I may have missed some bits so forgive me lol - THIS MAY NOT BE IN ORDER SORRY. ALSO THE MARKS ARE WHAT I THINK THEY WERE BUT IF YOU KNOW THEY ARE WRONG PLEASE SAY SO.

1. TWO LIFESTYLE RELATED QUESTIONS: How much do you exercise per week? AND Do you drink alcohol and/or smoke tobacco ? (1 mark)

2. TWO MEDICAL HISTORY RELATED QUESTIONS: Are you currently on any medication AND Do any members of your family have diseases e.g Type 2 diabetes. (1 mark)

3. 1.3 and 28 (2 marks?)

Three changes in blood flow: In the skin: vasodilation to lose heat, In the muscles, so she could move whilst exercising (there is another one but I forgot what it was lol) (3 marks?)

4. The heart works as a double pump so the blood is deoxgenated before it goes to the lungs to be oxygenated. So the blood flow to Sunita's lungs BEFORE exercise is 5.0 litres. (2 marks?)

5. NEIL'S BMI (6 marks) Two potential answers:

5i) BMI was 31. He is therefore obese and he is above average for his age . He should therefore think about going to his GP for some exercise tips and he should think of adopting a carefully controlled diet full of high fibre foods and complex carbs because they take long to digest so some of the glucose will be used in respiration before it is stored. Cut out simple sugars as they are quickly digested. As he is obese and probably has bad diet control his T2Diabetes risk is increased as well so he should try to lower his BMI.

5ii)(Thank you Kate) His BMI is 31 which suggests he is obese, however BMI isn't always the most accurate as someone who has a lot of muscle may register as obese or very obese simply because muscle is higher density than fat. Body fat % gives a more accurate result and because According to the chart Neil has an above average % body fat, he should be concerned.

6. (I think this was group 1 and 2 about aortas).They minimum aorta diameter in group two was approx 4.6 (1 mark)

7. They did some people in Group 1 because their family members may have have had it and/or suffered complications from the aneurysm. (1 mark?)

8. Some people might go for the surgery anyway because the perceived risk is great than the actual risk. (3 marks?)

9. (I think the smoking question was next?).

< 30 = People who were less than 30 when they stopped smoking. (2 mark)

Increase in the percentage risk = 5.5% or 5.6% depending on how you read it (2 marks?)

10. Two conclusions that I could draw: (2 marks)

If you smoke, as you get older, the increased risk of getting lung cancer increases.

People who don't smoke still have a chance of getting lung cancer.

11. Age when you started matters as the deterioration of a duration of time will be different. (General health may be accepted too) (2 marks?)

12. Why are some people for/against timber harvesting? (6 marks)

For: They can generate an income

Against: Deforestation can lead to soil erosion which is bad for farmers, loss of habitats as well.

13. Why is vegetation good? (3 marks)
Prevents soil erosion
Prevents extremes of temperatures
Promotes cloud formation

14. Somewhere there was a question about measuring progress in fitness or something and you had to tick the boxes "repeatibility of results" and "accuracy of monitoring equipment" (2 marks?)

15. Ecoservices for humans include (you only need three for three marks)
pollination
clean water
air
fertile soil for growing crops
food e.g fish and game

16. Ecosystems waste (you needed two) (2 marks?) Thank you Abbi :
Oxygen
Carbon dioxide
Minerals in nutrients
Dead Organic matter
Faeces

17.. Life Cycle Assessment:is a technique to assess environmental impacts associated with all the stages of a product's life from cradle to grave (3 marks?)

(BASICALLY LOOKING AT ENERGY INPUTS AND OUTPUTS AND THE EFFECTS ON THE ENVIRONMENT)

18.. Boxes to tick in terms of NO scientific approach (2 marks?):
How much the bags should cost (definite answer)
I think 'Holes in bags to stop suffocation; is the other one, but some people think it's plastic bags on streets

19.. 5p charge(3 marks?):
PEOPLE: Why should we have to pay if we are already paying for groceries?
SCIENTISTS: Acts as a deterrent gets people to recycle their bags. A small fee to pay as plastics take long to decompose.

20. INSULIN IN GM: POTENTIAL ANSWERS (6 marks):

1.Identify the gene for insulin, remove it from the DNA using an enzyme, replicate this SINGLE gene, remove a plasmid from the circular DNA in bacteria donor, put the insulin gene in, put it back into the bacteria and put it in a fermenter to harvest it. Once harvested insulin can be extracted and put into the cartridges for insulin patients to use.

2 (s/o to Dr. Dead Trim for this answer). A DNA sample is taken from white blood cells in the Human and the gene for insulin is located and isolated then replicated using restriction enzymes

Talk about the plasmid being a vector and inserting the suitable vector back into the bacteria

Mention that its electrically stimulated to accept the genes and if it doesnt accept the insulin gene then it wont accept the resistance gene so when an antibiotic is added it will kill it off leaving you with functioning bacteria that produce insulin.

Genetic code is universal across all organisms which is why bacteria are able to produce human insulin. Bacteria have a simple biochemistry as well as the ability to reproduce rapidly and create complex molecules.

After being put into a fermenter the insulin is filtered out, bottled then distributed in pharmacies

Also mention that human insulin is better than animal insulin as it is more effective and wont be treated as a pathogen

(I am seeing a lot of mention about antibiotics - this is about finding out if the bacteria mod was successful or not)

21. 'May cause disease' should have been circled (1 mark).

22. There was a question somewhere that said mention 2 lifestyle choices and the effects they have on people. Answers could've been: (2 marks)

Alcohol consumption: Slows reflexes and damages the heart

Tobacco consumption: Risks of lung cancer. Blackened lungs. HEART ATTACK

Eating fatty foods: The cholesterol heightens your blood pressure. Fatty deposits on the heart could lead to a heart attack or something similar.

CAN'T THINK OF ANY OTHER QUESTIONS. IF YOU KNOW THEM, ANY OTHER ANSWERS OR THE MARKS PLEASE POST IT SO I CAN EDIT. ALL THE LOVE. X

These marks may not even be right. BUT everything adds up to 60 marks. Any thing marked 1 mark would have deffo been no more than 2, any thing marked 2 marks would've been no more than 3 and anything marked 3 marks would've been at least 2. 6 markers are definite.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks g
Original post by Wisdom2
Thanks g
:smile:
For 15 it doesn't help if you copied most of it from Wikipedia 😂.
Original post by Unknown123321

That one I wasn't sure about so to make sure people knew what the actual answer is I copied it from wiki. My answer is more or less the one in brackets. I wouldn't want to tell you something that was wrong??
Original post by Unknown123321

I have now changed it to a more condensed form of what OCR would most likely expect.
Reply 6
For the insulin question:
the plasmid has the gene for antibiotic resistance so when the plasmid has been put in the fermenter you then put in antibiotics. That means the bacteria which haven't taken in the plasmids so haven't been genetically modified will be killed.
Reply 7
What do you think the grade boundries will be for this year?
Reply 8
A lot of potential answers to the questions are missing
I remember there was a question about waste in natural ecosystems.
I believe the answer could have been: o2, co2, dead organic matter such as leaves and faeces.
and btw i though ecosystem services involved pollination, clean water, air and fertile soil for growing crops?
Reply 9
The BMI question didn't mention diabetics did it?
Original post by kate37
the plasmid has the gene for antibiotic resistance so when the plasmid has been put in the fermenter you then put in antibiotics. That means the bacteria which haven't taken in the plasmids so haven't been genetically modified will be killed.

I wrote about the gene probe and the florecent marker.
Original post by Jashi
The BMI question didn't mention diabetics did it?

No it just said what his BMI meant for him and things he should do. You could mention he's at risk of diabetes as you had to draw conclusions from the table and graph based on his BMI. Hope that helps. :smile:
Original post by abbigm1
A lot of potential answers to the questions are missing
I remember there was a question about waste in natural ecosystems.
I believe the answer could have been: o2, co2, dead organic matter such as leaves and faeces.
and btw i though ecosystem services involved pollination, clean water, air and fertile soil for growing crops?

messed up the question order for that one. was missing one. will fix it in the next two minutes, you are right. i wrote clean water and air in the actual exam x
Original post by kate37

A DNA sample is taken from white blood cells in the Human and the gene for insulin is located and isolated then replicated using restriction enzymes

Talk about the plasmid being a vector and inserting the suitable vector back into the bacteria

Did you mention that its electrically stimulated to accept the genes and if it doesnt accept the insulin gene then it wont accept the resistance gene so when an antibiotic is added it will kill it off leaving you with functioning bacteria that produce insulin.

Genetic code is universal across all organisms which is why bacteria are able to produce human insulin. Bacteria have a simple biochemistry as well as the ability to reproduce rapidly and create complex molecules.

After being put into a fermenter the insulin is filtered out, bottled then distributed in pharmacies

Also mention that human insulin is better than animal insulin as it is more effective and wont be treated as a pathogen
Original post by blessingmariee
All the questions I remember. I may have missed some bits so forgive me lol - THIS MAY NOT BE IN ORDER SORRY.

1. TWO LIFESTYLE RELATED QUESTIONS: How much do you exercise per week? AND Do you drink alcohol and/or smoke tobacco ?

2. TWO MEDICAL HISTORY RELATED QUESTIONS: Are you currently on any medication AND Do any members of your family have diseases e.g Type 2 diabetes.

3. 1.3 and 28.

Three changes in blood flow: In the skin: vasodilation to lose heat, In the muscles, so she could move whilst exercising (there is another one but I forgot what it was lol)

4. The heart works as a double pump so the blood is deoxgenated before it goes to the lungs to be oxygenated. So the blood flow to Sunita's lungs BEFORE exercise is 5.0 litres.

5. BMI was 31. He is therefore obese and he is above average for his age . He should therefore think about going to his GP for some exercise tips and he should think of adopting a carefully controlled diet full of high fibre foods and complex carbs because they take long to digest so some of the glucose will be used in respiration before it is stored. Cut out simple sugars as they are quickly digested. As he is obese and probably has bad diet control his T2Diabetes risk is increased as well so he should try to lower his BMI.

6. (I think this was group 1 and 2 about aortas).They minimum aorta diameter in group two was approx 4.6

7. They did some people in Group 1 because their family members may have have had it and/or suffered complications from the aneurysm.

8. Some people might go for the surgery anyway because the perceived risk is great than the actual risk.

9. (I think the smoking question was next?).

< 30 = People who were less than 30 when they stopped smoking.

Percentage increase = 5.5% or 5.6% depending on how you read it

10. Two conclusions that I could draw:

If you smoke, as you get older, the increased risk of getting lung cancer increases.

People who don't smoke still have a chance of getting lung cancer.

11. Age when you started matters as the deterioration of a duration of time will be different. (General health may be accepted too)

12. Why are some people for/against timber harvesting?

For: They can generate an income

Against: Deforestation can lead to soil erosion which is bad for farmers, loss of habitats as well.

13. Why is vegetation good? (3 marks)
Prevents soil erosion
Prevents extremes of temperatures
Promotes cloud formation

14. Ecosystems waste include(you only need two) :
Oxygen, Carbon dioxide, Minerals and nutrients, dead organic matter

15. Ecoservices include (you only need three for three marks)
pollination
clean water
air
fertile soil for growing crops

16. Ecosystems waste (you needed two) Thank you Abbi :
Oxygen
Carbon dioxide
Minerals in nutrients
Dead Organic matter

17.. Life Cycle Assessment:is a technique to assess environmental impacts associated with all the stages of a product's life from cradle to grave

(BASICALLY LOOKING AT ENERGY INPUTS AND OUTPUTS AND THE EFFECTS ON THE ENVIRONMENT)

18.. Boxes to tick in terms of NO scientific approach:
Holes in bags to stop suffocation
How much the bags should cost.

19.. 5p charge:
PEOPLE: Why should we have to pay if we are already paying for groceries?
SCIENTISTS: Acts as a deterrent gets people to recycle their bags. A small fee to pay as plastics take long to decompose.

20. INSULIN IN GM:
Identify the gene for insulin, remove it from the DNA using an enzyme, replicate this SINGLE gene, remove a plasmid from the circular DNA in bacteria donor, put the insulin gene in, put it back into the bacteria and put it in a fermenter to harvest it. Once harvested insulin can be extracted and put into the cartridges for insulin patients to use.

CAN'T THINK OF ANY OTHER QUESTIONS. IF YOU KNOW THEM, ANY OTHER ANSWERS OR THE MARKS PLEASE POST IT SO I CAN EDIT. ALL THE LOVE. X

Last question was circle question and it was that bacteria "may cause disease" which im pretty sure everone got
Original post by andreeac
What do you think the grade boundries will be for this year?

For B7 last year which was:
A* - 45
A - 41
B - 35
C - 29
D- 23
E- 20
F AND G - N/A
U - 0

I think it will be higher because I personally think it was much easier to last year but then again some people found some of the tick boxes tricky so maybe the same or lower. Hope you did well and wishing you the best in the rest of you exams
Original post by Dr Dead Trim
A DNA sample is taken from white blood cells in the Human and the gene for insulin is located and isolated then replicated using restriction enzymes

Did you mention that its electrically stimulated to accept the genes and if it doesnt accept the insulin gene then it wont accept the resistance gene so when an antibiotic is added it will kill it off leaving you with functioning bacteria that produce insulin.

Your answer is definitely a six marker. Will add it as a potential answer and tag you.
Last question was circle question and it was that bacteria "may cause disease" which im pretty sure everone got

Keep forgetting to add it. Will do that now. Thanks a bunch x
Original post by blessingmariee
Your answer is definitely a six marker. Will add it as a potential answer and tag you.

ok just keep aware i didnt add the points which were already mentioned
ok just keep aware i didnt add the points which were already mentioned
I'll add those bits in now then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending