The Student Room Group

If a homeless person was begging you to buy them breakfast, would you ignore them?

Scroll to see replies

I would give him a loaf of bread, new clothes and a job's leaflet. At least he will have the chance for a sustainable job
My uni is 5 minutes from McDonalds and if I have any spare cash, I'll buy a breakfast for them on my way through to lectures. I never give them money.
Original post by Blue_Mason
So on my way,I was approached by a homeless man and was asked, if I could buy him breakfast, as he was starving, but I was shocked at the situation as I didn't know how to respond to being asked by a stranger.

If I had money for it then yes probably
Original post by Alfissti
Depends on :-
Race, Sex, Age

Why?
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I would give him a loaf of bread, new clothes and a job's leaflet. At least he will have the chance for a sustainable job

Homeless people can't work because they have no address.
I live an an area that has a lot of regular beggars, out of those I haven't seen one person spend money on food before alcohol.
I also worked in a Tesco in the area and saw the same people every week come in with a bag full of 1/2/5p coins that they'd collected and spend it all on alcohol.
A friend also told me they offered to buy a homeless person food and they said no and asked for money instead.

Obviously I'm not saying every beggar is like this but I'm yet to come across one in my area that is different, and for that reason if someone asked me to buy them food, I probably would, but if they asked for money? No chance.
It isn't for people to judge. You can't look at a homeless individual and know the reasons why they are in that position. It isn't always cut and dried. It's not as simple as not wanting to work, or being a drug addict or being feckless. Many have mental health problems, have had traumatic lives and are unable to cope, some have no family and their homeless friends are their family.
I'd always buy them the food first, so they can't spend my money on drugs/ alcohol.
K...
Reply 69
No I wouldn't buy them breakfast.*
I'd feel a bit awkward if they were the one that asked me. I gave a homeless person a slab of chocolate at Christmas which they were pleased about, but they didn't ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, of someone who was hungry asked for food, I would give them some. Frankly, if you even have to consider the question, you're an ********.
Original post by mojojojo101
Yes, of someone who was hungry asked for food, I would give them some. Frankly, if you even have to consider the question, you're an ********.

What a rude assumption
Reply 73
A lot of people here just lyingPretending to be good caring people online but the reality is, thousands of homeless people are ignored every day. I hope i'm wrong but many people here claiming they would help would just walk past without batting an eye
Original post by cherryred90s
If I had money for it then yes probably

Damn, you must have a really big heart, but it is hard for me because it is not my duty
Original post by Gswp
A lot of people here just lyingPretending to be good caring people online but the reality is, thousands of homeless people are ignored every day. I hope i'm wrong but many people here claiming they would help would just walk past without batting an eye

Yes, you are correct that thousands of homeless people are ignored every day, but there are thousands more homeless people who are helped by passers-by.
And what would be the point of 'pretending' online?
You should have more faith in human nature.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Damn, you must have a really big heart, but it is hard for me because it is not my duty

Whose duty is it, then? And why does it have to be about duty? I'm a pensioner and can't always afford it, but I would hope someone might do the same for me if I were in that position.
Original post by Seamus123
Whose duty is it, then? And why does it have to be about duty? I'm a pensioner and can't always afford it, but I would hope someone might do the same for me if I were in that position.

The government or some charities.
Well as a pensioner you worked hard for your pension, so you're entitled to a liveable pension
Do you not think that we have a moral responsibility to help those who are vulnerable and in need, though?
A bar of chocolate late or a packet of biscuits or a hot drink isn't much to ask.
Original post by Seamus123
Do you not think that we have a moral responsibility to help those who are vulnerable and in need, though?
A bar of chocolate late or a packet of biscuits or a hot drink isn't much to ask.

Yes, but as I not should be asked to pay for a strangers breakfast, on a commute, and it is not okay to burden a stranger
I was a bit intimidated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending