The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Trigger Warnings - (I issue one for this post)

The problem with the concept of trigger warnings is they never address the problem, in fact they only serve to deflect from it.

Bad things happen to people, this should not lead to the entire population self-censoring when it comes to difficult topics.

It seems that, for some, open conversation, opinion and, god forbid, humour are bigger problems than acts of violence.

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/paedophiles-to-issue-trigger-warnings/

Scroll to see replies

I know this thread will be removed and I know I shouldn't but :smile::smile:
Reply 2
Original post by BaconandSauce
I know this thread will be removed and I know I shouldn't but :smile::smile:

I did issue a trigger warning :smile:
Original post by Damien96
The problem with the concept of trigger warnings is they never address the problem, in fact they only serve to deflect from it.

Bad things happen to people, this should not lead to the entire population self-censoring when it comes to difficult topics.

It seems that, for some, open conversation, opinion and, god forbid, humour are bigger problems than acts of violence.

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/paedophiles-to-issue-trigger-warnings/

Trigger warnings are a fad that will die out in about a year.
Reply 5
Original post by KingBradly
Trigger warnings are a fad that will die out in about a year.

I think it is probably on its way out now but is only one example of a larger problem: Refusing to deal with important issues and the silencing those that want to.

That and the authoritarian tendencies of a growing number of people painting themselves as victims.
Reply 6
what is a trigger warning ?
Reply 7
Just satire .... for now.
Reply 8
Such people will always miss the point and do more harm than good.

I used to believe this was at least well intentioned, I've come to realise it has more to do with sanctimonious self-righteousness.
Original post by fefssdf
what is a trigger warning ?

For example, beware because, if you click on the link, and don't like long blond hair and leather on males, you may be upset:

http://www.happytrails.org/trigger.html
Reply 10
I know! :biggrin:

We are in a post satire world.
Original post by Good bloke
For example, beware because, if you click on the link, and don't like long blond hair and leather on males, you may be upset:

http://www.happytrails.org/trigger.html

ok i won't click on that then thanks
Original post by fefssdf
ok i won't click on that then thanks

Your loss, not mine.
trigger warnings are meant to be for people with ptsd, not for people who just might be sensitive
Original post by defenestrated
trigger warnings are meant to be for people with ptsd, not for people who just might be sensitive

im gonna play safe and not open the links
I think it is probably on its way out now but is only one example of a larger problem: Refusing to deal with important issues and the silencing those that want to.

That and the authoritarian tendencies of a growing number of people painting themselves as victims.

I know exactly what you mean. It's the banning of certain songs, newspapers or speakers in unis, or banning straight men and even gay men from committees. It's shutting down arguments that challenge any kind of "progressive" stance. The safe space idea is the worst thing. I feel like it could hang around for a while.
Reply 16
Original post by KingBradly
I know exactly what you mean. It's the banning of certain songs, newspapers or speakers in unis, or banning straight men and even gay men from committees. It's shutting down arguments that challenge any kind of "progressive" stance. The safe space idea is the worst thing. I feel like it could hang around for a while.

Exactly, it should frighten us all as this type of cult behaviour can only end up eating its own supporters.

My worry is what happens when the pendulum swings the other way. Right minded people are walking a tightrope and resentment is growing.
Reply 17

Yeah, unless we are all going to be trained in psychiatry it can only end ridiculously and even they can laugh about their patients once they've left the room.
Yeah, unless we are all going to be trained in psychiatry it can only end ridiculously and even they can laugh about their patients once they've left the room.

why would you have to be trained in psychiatry to just give a warning about the content of something ?
the psychiatrists are going to be the ones addressing the problem and helping
all trigger warnings do is make sure their recovery isn't set back
Reply 19
why would you have to be trained in psychiatry to just give a warning about the content of something ?
the psychiatrists are going to be the ones addressing the problem and helping
all trigger warnings do is make sure their recovery isn't set back

How else would you have any clue what might trigger someone? My point is that type of behaviour is appropriate for a therapy session, not society in general.

Latest

Trending

Trending