The Student Room Group

How do we end terrorism in the west?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
and silly war-provoking policies and being trump

The irony!

It's Obama's silly war-provoking policies that have exacerbated the mess in the Middle East. Hillary will only continue this warmongering and continue to destroy countries just so Russia has one less friend.

It is actually Trump who would stop with the warmongering policies!
Original post by TelAviv

-Allow for licensed concealed-carry firearms with citizens, after stringent training and background checks

How to combat people shooting others with guns? Give them more guns!
Original post by oShahpo

I don't propose a 2nd Amendment-style change that allows any nutcase to get a gun if they feel like it. Hence me saying with training and background checks.

Works great in Israel!
Original post by oShahpo

A mindless statement from one who has probably never held a gun and thinks their all, "ecky".
I don't think there is a way to end terrorism in general. There will always be that one person who doesn't like how the government is operating and will do anything to invoke fear in Americans (or Brits) to get change. Not all acts of terrorism is religion related.
Get rid of the cause. I live in Japan, and it can be by no coincidence that in a country with a non-existent Muslim population there are no terrorist attacks.
Original post by TelAviv
The irony!
It's Obama's silly war-provoking policies that have exacerbated the mess in the Middle East. Hillary will only continue this warmongering and continue to destroy countries just so Russia has one less friend.
It is actually Trump who would stop with the warmongering policies!

lol mayb
but I was just listing things that if we got rid of would help to end terrorism
:wavey:
You can no more end terrorism than you could end bullying.

It will always happen.
Original post by TheTechN1304
Get rid of the cause. I live in Japan, and it can be by no coincidence that in a country with a non-existent Muslim population there are no terrorist attacks.

I guess you've never heard of Aum Shinrikyo. Japan has had plenty of terrorist attacks.
Original post by george_c00per
How do we do this as a country, however? (I agree with what you're saying, I'm just curious how we can implement this thought into our society)

I was joking..
Original post by IndianMuslim
The first responsibility lies with the Islamic preachers and clerics. These guys have done tremendous harm to us as a community and by extension western AND eastern society.
Most of them are very quick to denounce terrorism but the one thing they won't do is to address the root cause which is reject the doctrine of armed Jihad and declare that in the modern era of a nation-state with a rule of law, armed Jihad has no place.

My local imams speak out against it all the time. Don't know about other parts of the country. But yeah, ultimately they should try their best to prevent it, and perhaps try to reach out to the troubled individuals who turn to the wrong path of violence and intolerance. (Which is difficult since these lot tend not to be regular mosque attendees and hang around small lesser known circles)
^^

Reapers from mass effect.
Reply 32
By bombing several countries in order to reduce the number of migrants already fleeing the bombs. Also, by arming dictators, then stirring hatred, then arming terrorists and leaving them to run the countries previously bombed by us.

That's the way to end terrorism.👍
Original post by Duncan2012
It's not, obviously. The point being that religious ideologies are behind the current wave of terrorist activity happening across Europe.

In practical terms in the UK we have the 4P's which make up the CONTEST strategy.

blah blah blah
Move to Mars
^^

West should stop bombing the middle east, why you ask?

Because it's for the middle east to sort out their problem. Yes support their military, yes support them financially, however don't give these terrorist a reason to attack us. Remember, we are at war with ISIS, if we attack them how on earth can we be surprised/shocked when they attack us?

So I reiterate, support middle eastern nations, however do not bomb, do not send troops, do not give these terrorists what they want.
Original post by IndianMuslim
The first responsibility lies with the Islamic preachers and clerics. These guys have done tremendous harm to us as a community and by extension western AND eastern society.
Most of them are very quick to denounce terrorism but the one thing they won't do is to address the root cause which is reject the doctrine of armed Jihad and declare that in the modern era of a nation-state with a rule of law, armed Jihad has no place.

This is apostasy from Islam.

Original post by mariachi
I agree that, in the long run, this is the issue

as long as ("minor", i.e. violent) jihad is considered a duty for Muslims, you will have people declaring their own jihad or following the craziest leaders and improvised "scholars" and amirs. So, religious reform is the actual solution - however, this is a development that Muslims will have to do on their own

in the short term, there is little that can be done, beyond improving exchange of information, increasing precautions at collective events and settings, and better monitoring of radicalisation processes

however, since part of the social media are beyond monitoring possibilities, this will not be so easy...

Rather, a legitimate khalifa in the future would prevent random groups from popping up.

That's the long term solution.

:smile:
Original post by Pulse.
Increased surveillance and policing powers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if they need more powers. The security services could certainly do with increasing personnel levels though which would require more funding.
Original post by AlifunArnab
a legitimate khalifa in the future would prevent random groups from popping up.

That's the long term solution.

:smile:
trying to constitute a "legitimate caliphate" would cause yet more havoc and destruction - competing groups would slug it out with "no holds barred"

when was the last time that the Ummah was united under a legitimate caliphate, which prevented "random groups popping up" ?

probably, at the time the first fitnah broke out (656 CE) - after that, it's a next to infinite sequel of "random groups popping up", contesting the legitimacy of the "legitimate" Caliph

the fault lies in the lack, in Islam, of clear, universally agreed procedures for designating a Caliph, monitoring his activity, substituting him : for this reason, Muslims have (constitutionally) gone off in all directions, resorting finally to dynastic principles for most of their history. The most well-known example of this succession problem is the Shia/Sunni split, but the examples are innumerable.

Best
End terrorism in US first. Some of American cops are such terrorists!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Aiyana_Jones

1469122192656.jpg

1469122216452.jpg

1469122243354.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending