The Student Room Group

Integration question

Hey,
Looking at this integrtion question

The temperature (in degrees cenigrade) measured at a weather station on 21st Sept is given by

T(t) = 15 - 10cos^2(pi*t/24) - t/10

0 < t < 24

where t is the time measured in hours. Find average temperature over the entire day, and average during the hours of daylight 6<t<18

It's just integrating the expression I can't do, the worst part is I have my working from when I have done it before but I haven't copied it all down and now I can't see how I integrated that expression last time to get the answer :|

Thanks for any help
Original post by RHCPfan
Hey,
Looking at this integrtion question

The temperature (in degrees cenigrade) measured at a weather station on 21st Sept is given by

T(t) = 15 - 10cos^2(pi*t/24) - t/10

0 < t < 24

where t is the time measured in hours. Find average temperature over the entire day, and average during the hours of daylight 6<t<18

It's just integrating the expression I can't do, the worst part is I have my working from when I have done it before but I haven't copied it all down and now I can't see how I integrated that expression last time to get the answer :|

Thanks for any help

Use double angle formulae for cos2cos^2

cos(2x)=cos2(x)sin2(x)=2cos2(x)1cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x)=2cos^2(x)-1 and rearrangle for cos squared.

and xπ24tx \mapsto \frac{\pi}{24}\cdot t
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Use double angle formulae for cos2cos^2

cos(2x)=cos2(x)sin2(x)=2cos2(x)1cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x)=2cos^2(x)-1 and rearrangle for cos squared.

and xπ24tx \mapsto \frac{\pi}{24}\cdot t

Ah yeah so that gives me

T(t) = 15 - 5 - 5cos(pi*t/12) - t/10
= 10 - 5cos(pi*t/12) - t/10

thanks!

I'm just a little unsure how to do the, - 5cos(pi*t/12)? Sorry my brain is failing as i'm sitting looking at my previous correct answer for this!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RHCPfan
Ah yeah so that gives me

T(t) = 15 - 5 + 5cos(pi*t/12) - t/10
= 10 + + 5cos(pi*t/12) - t/10

thanks!

I'm just a little unsure how to do the, + 5cos(pi*t/12)? Sorry my brain is failing as i'm sitting looking at my previous correct answer for this!

Reverse chain rule. Cos goes to sine and you divide the 5 by the coefficient of t; in this case pi/12
Reply 4
Reverse chain rule. Cos goes to sine and you divide the 5 by the coefficient of t; in this case pi/12

Ah yeah! Thanks so now I have it

(-60/pi)sin(pi*t/12)

Thank you :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

The chain rule in general doesn't work in reverse: the method that you have described only works when the derivative of the inner function is a constant, or in other words, the inner function is linear. What you are really doing is making a substitution and skipping out the steps that you can do in your head.
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
The chain rule in general doesn't work in reverse: the method that you have described only works when the derivative of the inner function is a constant, or in other words, the inner function is linear. What you are really doing is making a substitution and skipping out the steps that you can do in your head.

Exactly. No need to fuss around explaining this to him if he had done it before.

Quick Reply

Latest