The Student Room Group

The fibs your teacher told you in school [golden thread]

Scroll to see replies

Firstly there's the classic: don't swing on your chair, one boy in my old class did that and split his head open

Then there's the: when I was your age, if I shouted out I'd get locked in the dungeons

They also said that they'd ring our parents if we misbehaved one more time and they never did
Too many to count.........

Okay, fine, I'll give an example:
Everything in every Science. Each year they tell us that what we previously learnt is actually wrong!
There really is alot but what stands out to me is that in year 6 we had a science day and we were told that Neil Armstrong was coming into school! Since we did rocket launches and stuff people actually believed it for the majority of the day. You know meeting a celeb and all is exciting only to find out the next day that it was a fake, it was the husband of one of the teachers!!
but the teachers never admitted it
Original post by UnidentifiedBody
Too many to count.........

Okay, fine, I'll give an example:
Everything in every Science. Each year they tell us that what we previously learnt is actually wrong!

But they've prewarned us that everything we were taught in GCSE Chem was wrong.
"Your Year 6 SATs are EXTREMELY important!"
THe apple falling on Newtons head is a lie

There is a classic story that Sir Isaac Newton came up with his law of gravity when an apple fell on his head. What is true is that he was on his mother's farm and watched an apple fall from a tree onto the ground when he began to wonder what forces were at work to cause the apple to fall in that way. He eventually realized that they were the same forces which kept the moon in orbit around the Earth, which was his brilliant insight.

But, so far as we know, he was never hit in the head with an apple.
Fib: That all coursework has to be done in silence and in "exam conditions". In the end she actually wrote someones History coursework for them cheeky *****.
"If you eat the crusts on your toast, you will have curly hair" ?!?
Original post by Zeuvous
"Your Year 6 SATs are EXTREMELY important!"
Thank God for the local boycott of 2010!
Reply 389
"We will have a free lesson after this exam"
Never happened.
"We're here for you and we're on your side".

As they literally set me up to fail.
In my year 9 maths class we had a new teacher and she told us that "this year is crucially important in preparation for your GCSEs, and I will always be there to help you through your exams". Thats what she said and less than a month later we never saw her again, she didn't even tell us that she was leaving!

Oh yeah I've got another one, this time from primary school. We must have been only 5 or 6 years old at the time but we made paper-mache bugs with old bottles as a class project and for 6 year old they didn't look too bad. The school decided to hang them on the assembly hall's wall so that the whole school could see them and the teachers said that we "can have them back at the end of your last school year in year 6". So year 6 came and everyone from my class had remembered what the teachers had promised and what did they do? They threw them away during the summer before our last year. Scandalous.
Original post by scphmapd
In year 8 our teacher told us she had a friend that was in teacher training. She left the room to speak to someone. During this time her students threw rubbers across the room. She walked into the room, one of the rubbers went into her eye and made her permanently blind. She had to quit her training and became unemployed.

I can guarantee this NEVER happened. And everyone continued to throw rubbers around the room.

:rofl: You'd have to be really unlucky to be blinded by a flying rubber

Original post by neriine
Our History teacher titled every email he sent to us with 'FREE PIZZA' or 'FREE CHOCOLATE' to make sure everyone read them.
There would always be a clause at the end of the email explaining he lied about the free food :':wink:

:cries: that's just mean
When asked by this smart kid in my class who talks a lot if he should take Chemistry A level or Computer Science my Chemistry teacher said take Computer Science because he already knows everything (Smart kid was too shocked to speak as he'd planned to argue why Computer Science was better that Chemistry)
Original post by Cate1541
In primary school we all believed that there were cameras all over the classroom (they were actually fire alarms/smoke detectors :/) so obviously we owned up to everything we did before the teacher "collected" the evidence

That is so sneaky!! :rofl:

Original post by Becca.b
PE teacher told us never to mess around near rounders bases because one time "a boy tried to jump over one and it punctured his bowel and his poo exploded everywhere in front of the whole class."

:K::K::K: wow. That's one way to scare people out of messing around.

Original post by Mi$$Aries
There really is alot but what stands out to me is that in year 6 we had a science day and we were told that Neil Armstrong was coming into school! Since we did rocket launches and stuff people actually believed it for the majority of the day. You know meeting a celeb and all is exciting only to find out the next day that it was a fake, it was the husband of one of the teachers!!
but the teachers never admitted it

Hahahaha! It's always about space as well.

Original post by Labrador99
"If you eat the crusts on your toast, you will have curly hair" ?!?

I love these really random ones!
Everyone has the story where a kid rocked back on their chair, ended up falling and getting impaled by a large pole of some sort, to deter us from rocking out chairs.
That I was actually going to pass my exams. Biggest lie yet.
I always got the well known 'Stop rocking on your chair, I once had a student who fell off doing that and cracked their skull open' - this came from about 5 different teachers in my high school!
Reply 398
Our English teacher made a mistake equal to the infamous blunder of Michael Fish in 1987 when he said there wasn't going to be a hurricane, and then that night there was 122mph winds. She said Slim wouldn't be the character option for of mice and men on the aqa English lit paper, and Slim was the character option and I'm pretty sure 28 people failed that exam
"Don't worry about your GCSE exams yet, they're in two years time."

Quick Reply

Latest