The Student Room Group

Male reproductive rights

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by shuu00
You'll know what to do next time :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Ok but what if a condom breaks and she gets pregnant and keeps the baby against your wishes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Razzor19821
Ok but what if a condom breaks and she gets pregnant and keeps the baby against your wishes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, that's an issue in itself. I was just pointing out the fact that condoms are more reliable in your case because you can be sure that you're protected you don't have to rely on another person to be protected.
Reply 42
Original post by shuu00
Well, that's an issue in itself. I was just pointing out the fact that condoms are more reliable in your case because you can be sure that you're protected you don't have to rely on another person to be protected.

We really really need a male pill

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would spell the end for the Jeremy Kyle show...
Reply 45
Original post by TurboCretin
That would spell the end for the Jeremy Kyle show...

It would spell the end for men being forced to pay for child support for kids they never wanted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaCalavera
If I decided to have a baby against my partner's wishes I would not ask for child support. That's just the decent thing to do isn't it?

Asks a pregnant woman - Do you want this child?
Yes - assumes responsibility for taking care of said child.
No - abortion or adoption etc BASICALLY if we don't want the baby or the responsibilities that come with it nobody should be able to force us.

Asks man with pregnant partner - Do you want this child?
Yes - assumes responsibility for taking care of said child.
No - discussion of being forced to deal with the responsibilities for unwanted child - whyyyyyyyyy?

Because there is a physical process, abortion, that can be performed on a woman's body that will prevent the birth of a child that would be biologically hers. There is no equivalent procedure that can be performed on a man's body (well, there's vasectomy, but that's different).

Also, a mother can't unilaterally give her baby up for adoption unless she's the father isn't listed on the birth certificate. If he is, then the father's permission is required.

Albeit the male may not have to deal with the physical pregnancy or whatever but why should he be told he has to commit his life to a child if he doesn't want it? I rest easy knowing that when I choose to have sex, even though I use protection, I also know I am comfortable with my decision to have an abortion if I get pregnant and do not want it. Why is it that a man cannot leave the situation?

Because abortion is not simply a woman 'leaving' the situation, but removing it altogether.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wotcher
The issue is that a woman having an abortion leaves no child to support. A father having a 'paper' abortion leaves a child, but less support. If the mother cannot financially support the child, then the child loses out, or the taxpayer supports it.
So many men (and women) are paying and will continue to pay.

But then if the mother can't support the baby she will likely know that before birth which means by continuing with the pregnancy she is the one causing the harm.

Original post by Drewwww
Okay so as a man I feel like our right to choose is as important as a woman's right to choose. It's such a difficult situation. However - I do feel like as a man you need to be accountable for what you've done. You've had sex and you know a consequence of that could be the woman getting pregnant. You also know as much as the girl says she will get an abortion, you will not know 100% until the situation occurs. However I do believe in accountability - if you've done something you are accountable for the consequences of it. I think if the woman -NEEDS-, focus on the need, financial support, it is only right to do so. If you're not in a place to do so right now, perhaps in a few years time? Idk.. I know this is a sensitive topic and thus remember this will always have different opinions - I'd love you for helping, and I'd love you for walking away - pro-choice X

So why should a woman not be accountable in the same way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had similar funding gone into it we could have one now. Considering there is twenty options for women and only one for men, one could say it is massively overdue.
At the moment women have full control over their fertility and can, unlike men, do so with or without their partners knowledge.
To produce and supply a male pill would give men the same amount of control over their fertility in exactly the same way as women, which of course shouldn't be a problem as there is nothing stopping the woman taking it at the same time, but it would mean genuine equality in reproductive control.
For that reason it will never happen.
Last time I saw it discussed there were feminists going ape saying it should never happen.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending