The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do women feel the need to show cleavage/legs in the workplace

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by chelseadagg3r
it's funny because we get paid less for the same hours, same job, and you know literally nothing about me

If companies could get away with paying women less to do the same job, every company would literally only hire women in order to improve profits

The wage gap has been disproven many times and no reputable economist factors it into his/her studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
if it was me, id do it because i can and because i dont look to bad in a mid-thigh length skirt.
now if i have the cleavage to boast about then i would. sadly i dont but my arse looks good in tight clothing so i guess that makes up for it
Original post by Don Joiner
If companies could get away with paying women less to do the same job, every company would literally only hire women in order to improve profits

The wage gap has been disproven many times and no reputable economist factors it into his/her studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay let's agree to disagree. I mean, we're clearly not going to agree here :tongue: My point with this whole damn thread is, we don't care. You can have your shin issues and scream at the sight of our forearms, but quake in your boots as much as you'd like because I, for one, am going to continue to dress in the way I like to dress that is appropriate for the role I am in. Anyone thinking that their opinion on the way I dress, that is wholly appropriate for the workplace, is going to change the way I dress is wrong and completely underestimates how important my values are to me. I stand by every point I have made, and I'm sure you do too. I think that's a fair way to settle this.
Reply 63
We earn less money than men and can't afford that extra fabric

:laugh::laugh:
Reply 64
Okay let's agree to disagree. I mean, we're clearly not going to agree here :tongue: My point with this whole damn thread is, we don't care. You can have your shin issues and scream at the sight of our forearms, but quake in your boots as much as you'd like because I, for one, am going to continue to dress in the way I like to dress that is appropriate for the role I am in. Anyone thinking that their opinion on the way I dress, that is wholly appropriate for the workplace, is going to change the way I dress is wrong and completely underestimates how important my values are to me. I stand by every point I have made, and I'm sure you do too. I think that's a fair way to settle this.

"Let's agree to disagree" = I just lost the argument but want to take the moral high ground lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because they can, as simple as that. 👍🏼
"Let's agree to disagree" = I just lost the argument but want to take the moral high ground lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, whatever calms your mind :smile: It must have been a tough summer, what with all the fingers and ankles women will have been flaunting in your direction
Reply 67
I have absolutely no problem and I'm sure they won't mind your observations so long as its quite and not obvious
Women in France are literally being fined for covering up on the beaches. If you can't contain yourself at the sight of a woman's shins and shoulders then you have a problem. There is no way we can win. We cover up, we get called names and looked down on. We wear what we like and we get called names and looked down on. Why shouldn't we wear what we like if we're going to get crap for it regardless?

Thats more to do with islamic clothing than covering up, there are plenty of people in wet suits and full swim wear on French beachs. I live there so i've seen it for myself.

The French and other Euro countries are much more open about their bodies, honestly people don't care if you like them. Ive had girls come up to me complementing me and its okay to tell someone you find them attractive.

There a lot of fun taken out British girls for wearing too much make up and the eyebrows confuse them the most. I know it makes it look worse but I think its down to being insercure so they use as a mask to hide their true selves.

I persoanally find if you mention the awkwardness that you can't prevent your eyes staring and you're not trying to perv then they'd understand. She could showing off for all different reason, I don't like how a minority of women think gives them entitlement like girls use for free drinks at bars for example but situtations like those are rare.

I think we should be more open and not asume everyone is perving or trying show off their bodies.
Original post by LonelyDemon
Thats more to do with islamic clothing than covering up, there are plenty of people in wet suits and full swim wear on French beachs. I live there so i've seen it for myself.

The French and other Euro countries are much more open about their bodies, honestly people don't care if you like them. Ive had girls come up to me complementing me and its okay to tell someone you find them attractive.

There a lot of fun taken out British girls for wearing too much make up and the eyebrows confuse them the most. I know it makes it look worse but I think its down to being insercure so they use as a mask to hide their true selves.

I persoanally find if you mention the awkwardness that you can't prevent your eyes staring and you're not trying to perv then they'd understand. She could showing off for all different reason, I don't like how a minority of women think gives them entitlement like girls use for free drinks at bars for example but situtations like those are rare.

I think we should be more open and not asume everyone is perving or trying show off their bodies.

Totally understand what you're saying. There has been a lot of discussion about women dressing covered for reasons completely different to those related to religion being penalised as well though. As for people perving, I get that attention gets drawn places, you know? As long as someone isn't blatantly staring then I don't see a big problem. The poster did say that he thought knee length skirts were part of this though, and I don't see how a bit of shin and an ankle is making men so hard done by.
Okay let's agree to disagree. I mean, we're clearly not going to agree here :tongue: My point with this whole damn thread is, we don't care. You can have your shin issues and... [blah blah blah] ...and completely underestimates how important my values are to me. I stand by every point I have made, and I'm sure you do too. I think that's a fair way to settle this.

At first I thought you were making a witty joke with that fabric comment... Anyway, he's unlikely to agree with you if you give him no reason to. A more reasonable way to settle this would be to respond to the point, rather than talking about something unrelated and then unilaterally agreeing to disagree. It has been shown that controlling for:

it's funny because we get paid less for the same hours, same job, and you know literally nothing about me

...as well as a handful of other factors explains about 80% of the perceived wage gap. There is speculation about the last few percent - it could involve discrimination or it could be entirely down to other factors, we don't really know.
Original post by TurboCretin
At first I thought you were making a witty joke with that fabric comment... Anyway, he's unlikely to agree with you if you give him no reason to. A more reasonable way to settle this would be to respond to the point, rather than talking about something unrelated and then unilaterally agreeing to disagree. It has been shown that controlling for:

...as well as a handful of other factors explains about 80% of the perceived wage gap. There is speculation about the last few percent - it could involve discrimination or it could be entirely down to other factors, we don't really know.

I was trying to make a joke, but then a few people decided they wanted to argue it. I'm not asking for an agreement. I accept he has his opinion and cool, whatever. I don't agree with it, but he doesn't have to agree with me either, hence the post. My phone has been going since I first responded to this post and I have other things to do and talk about, and I figured it was best to try acknowledge the end the conversation rather than just drop off the face of the planet with it. I don't know why I thought that, because I'd still get essentially the same replies just about 'backing out' and stuff. As to the other 20%, that doesn't mean it's a myth and I shouldn't care about it. I'm going into a field dominated by men and it's 100% on my mind. I have the same right to voice my feelings and opinion on this as you guys do. I'm not going to sit here silently without expressing how I see things. Like I've been trying to say, I'm out. I don't need agreement, and I don't need '#triggered' posts. I came, I made my points, and I'm happy.
Despite there being so much stigma around men looking at cleavage/legs, why do women still wear tops that are very low cut or skirts that show so much leg?

It's like imagine if a man came into the office wearing a vest and shorts because he wanted to show off his arms and his well built legs, that would be wholly inappropriate but for women it's completely okay.

Do they do it to gain power over men? In that they know that if the man is distracted by cleavage etc he might be easier to persuade/control?

I don't get it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get your point.

But at the same time I find it really hard to find clothes that actually fit...

Most tops are literally designed to show off cleavage and finding one that doesn't is actually quite difficult.
Skirts are difficult too. Most work skirts are pencil skirts, and if they are too long it makes walking difficult XD I have yet to find a decent length skirt that doesn't look like its from the Victorian era and still enables me to walk.

I manage to dress decently but it takes a lot of time finding clothes that fit.
I was trying to make a joke, but then a few people decided they wanted to argue it. I'm not asking for an agreement. I accept he has his opinion and cool, whatever. I don't agree with it, but he doesn't have to agree with me either, hence the post. My phone has been going since I first responded to this post and I have other things to do and talk about, and I figured it was best to try acknowledge the end the conversation rather than just drop off the face of the planet with it. I don't know why I thought that, because I'd still get essentially the same replies just about 'backing out' and stuff. As to the other 20%, that doesn't mean it's a myth and I shouldn't care about it. I'm going into a field dominated by men and it's 100% on my mind. I have the same right to voice my feelings and opinion on this as you guys do. I'm not going to sit here silently without expressing how I see things. Like I've been trying to say, I'm out. I don't need agreement, and I don't need '#triggered' posts. I came, I made my points, and I'm happy.

It just isn't a matter of opinion, though - whether or not there is a wage gap in the discriminatory sense is a factual question. Saying that you think there is one and then responding to a challenge to that by saying 'everyone's entitled to their views bye' is predictably going to invite those kinds of responses about backing out.*

A matter of opinion, by contrast, would be whether or not you think that the (highly publicised) difference in average wages between men and women is a problem in itself. I think that's a matter on which people could justifiably maintain different views and agree to disagree.*
Of course the last 20% doesn't mean it's a myth, or that we shouldn't care. It means we should try to gather more information about what's going on to see if there is discrimination. By itself we can't conclude anything from it.*

I haven't noted anyone saying that you should sit silently without expressing things. The opposite seems to be the case, if anything.*
Think I remember OP saying they were female before.. Interesting how everyone has assumed they were male.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TurboCretin
It just isn't a matter of opinion, though - whether or not there is a wage gap in the discriminatory sense is a factual question. Saying that you think there is one and then responding to a challenge to that by saying 'everyone's entitled to their views bye' is predictably going to invite those kinds of responses about backing out.*

A matter of opinion, by contrast, would be whether or not you think that the (highly publicised) difference in average wages between men and women is a problem in itself. I think that's a matter on which people could justifiably maintain different views and agree to disagree.*
Of course the last 20% doesn't mean it's a myth, or that we shouldn't care. It means we should try to gather more information about what's going on to see if there is discrimination. By itself we can't conclude anything from it.*

I haven't noted anyone saying that you should sit silently without expressing things. The opposite seems to be the case, if anything.*

Fact or opinion at this point, I'm still out. While I'd absolutely love to publish why my health does not permit me to carry on with something like this for two days, I'm not going to bother. That was my way of attempting to end a conversation in a way where we both may actually have been able to agree on something and part ways. Like I've said already, I made my point and I've said my piece and I'm happy to be done with it.
Just ignore them, they are attention seekers.
Original post by Princepieman
Think I remember OP saying they were female before.. Interesting how everyone has assumed they were male.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. I just assumed from 'Don', really.
Lol their insecurities are funny tbh
Reply 79

You do realise that's against the law right? If anyone's doing that simply take them to court. Of course you wouldn't actually do that, because it never happens.

Latest

Trending

Trending