The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by LutherVan
These are the kinds of measures universities like Warwick without any significant achievements or resources excel in.
Skewing rankings since 1965.

Do you believe anyone thinks Surrey is a UK Top 10 university for the last 2 years?

Their students seem to be easily "satisfied". No work is done there???

No. Prestige is mostly decided by the achievements of a university.

Correct. Correct. and sets the pace for the undergrad courses.

If I create a university today in Scunthorpe and then state that minimum entry tariff is going to be A*A*A*A, that would not make my university prestigious? It is the prior achievements of my university that would make it prestigious.

More people should see this.

Apart from that, Warwick has no significant achievements for it to have any prestige close to the Golden Triangle, Edinburgh and Manchester.

Forgetting Bristol? https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ref2014/ref2014-results/UCL-REF2014-Results/intensity-weighted
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial (only science, helps with rankings)
UCL
Bristol
LSE (small proportion of a uni)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 541
Durhams research is very average. Could not make top 10.
Warwick is not overall strong.
Exeter shouldnt be near that list
St Andrews is strange choice as well
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 542
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial (only science, helps with rankings)
UCL
Bristol
LSE (small proportion of a uni)

past that KCL, Edinburgh, Manchester, Warwick. To be honest I really couldnt care about the order.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ref2014/ref2014-results/UCL-REF2014-Results/intensity-weighted
(edited 8 years ago)
hmmm in my opinion..

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. Durham
6. St Andrews
7. UCL
8. Edinburgh
9. King's
10. Warwick
Original post by CompSci16
hmmm in my opinion..

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. Durham
6. St Andrews
7. UCL
8. Edinburgh
9. King's
10. Warwick

U wot?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxbridge
LSE
Imperial
UCL
St. Andrews
Kings
Warwick (Although Warwick would place higher if it was out of employment or Mathematics only).
Durham
Edinburgh
Bristol

Lets put this to rest now
You give way too much credit to Durham imo...
The difference between these universities is so thin that no order is "wrong". Some people have not even included Durham in their top ten. To me, that's unfair, but that's how some people perceive it.
Original post by TheIrrational
In my opinion:

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Bristol
UCL

Then I don't know.

st andrews?
Top 10 Averaged Out (took all rankings and averaged them where applicable).

Oxford (2,3)
Cambridge (2,8)
Imperial (4,375)
UCL (4,9)
Bristol (7,6)
Manchester (8)
KCL (8,6)
Edinburgh (9,2)
LSE (11,4)
Warwick (11,8)

The other close ones:

Nottingham (12,6)
Durham (13,1)

All in all, you guys were pretty accurate overall

Sources:

ARWU, QS, Times, REF, CWTS Leiden, US News, High Flyers, Law Firms UK, Law Firms London, eFinancial Centre
Okay, I'll bite. Here's what I think is the top 10 in the UK:

Oxford, Cambridge
LSE, Imperial
UCL, Warwick

Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol
Original post by Iskolar
Okay, I'll bite. Here's what I think is the top 10 in the UK:

Oxford, Cambridge
LSE, Imperial
UCL, Warwick

Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol

In what way is Warwick along with UCL? Please support your argument.
Original post by *Stefan*
In what way is Warwick along with UCL? Please support your argument.

Here's a my simplified answer to that question.

They almost have an identical prestige to the view of the applicants -- almost identical entry standards / almost similar UCAS points. In other words, they do have an almost identical calibre of students as demonstrated by their past academic achievements.

Aside from that, these two unis share the most number of cross-admit students. Meaning, most UCL students also applied to Warwick (the most) and vice versa.

Almost identical educational standards. After Oxbridge, these unis have the most number of top 10 programs.

Both are top 10 in research, too.

Graduates of both unis compete for the same jobs, too, may that be in business, economics or finance, or the humanities, law, engineering or computer science. Both unis are considered "core schools" by most top employers. Both unis are two of the only six unis in the whole UK that the top bulge bracket firms consider-- UK's top 6 unis.

Just my opinion.
Original post by Iskolar
Here's a my simplified answer to that question.

They almost have an identical prestige to the view of the applicants -- almost identical entry standards / almost similar UCAS points. In other words, they do have an almost identical calibre of students as demonstrated by their past academic achievements.

Not really - UCL has substantially higher entry requirements across the board. The only subjects Warwick competes are its flagship courses, i.e. Maths, Econ and a few more. In all the rest, UCL is higher up.

And mind you, Warwick offers places to almost all its applicants.

Original post by Iskolar
Aside from that, these two unis share the most number of cross-admit students. Meaning, most UCL students also applied to Warwick (the most) and vice versa.

And? So did, say, Durham. Why does that make Warwick better than Durham?

Original post by Iskolar
Almost identical educational standards. After Oxbridge, these unis have the most number of top 10 programs.

Evaluated how?

Original post by Iskolar
Both are top 10 in research, too.

In the REF 2014, UCL had a much higher number of 4* graded research than Warwick. In fact, Warwick was lower in the vast majority of categories than the group you placed after UCL.

Original post by Iskolar
Graduates of both unis compete for the same jobs, too, may that be in business, economics or finance, or the humanities, law, engineering or computer science. Both unis are considered "core schools" by most top employers. Both unis are two of the only six unis in the whole UK that the top bulge bracket firms consider-- UK's top 6 unis.

Just my opinion.

No. Warwick has made itself a great reputation for IB, but other than that it's your regular good university. The 'bracket firms' do not just consider 6 unis - who told you that? Yes, the top 6 provides a steady stream of people, but it's far from being the only thing IB banks consider.

In all other careers, Warwick performs okay. Nothing too spectacular.

Ultimately, these posts just bolster what I've been saying all along - people have inflated Warwick's reputation to heaven for no good reason.
Not really - UCL has substantially higher entry requirements across the board. The only subjects Warwick competes are its flagship courses, i.e. Maths, Econ and a few more. In all the rest, UCL is higher up.

And mind you, Warwick offers places to almost all its applicants.

And? So did, say, Durham. Why does that make Warwick better than Durham?

Evaluated how?

In the REF 2014, UCL had a much higher number of 4* graded research than Warwick. In fact, Warwick was lower in the vast majority of categories than the group you placed after UCL.

No. Warwick has made itself a great reputation for IB, but other than that it's your regular good university. The 'bracket firms' do not just consider 6 unis - who told you that? Yes, the top 6 provides a steady stream of people, but it's far from being the only thing IB banks consider.

In all other careers, Warwick performs okay. Nothing too spectacular.

Ultimately, these posts just bolster what I've been saying all along - people have inflated Warwick's reputation to heaven for no good reason.

UCL offers it to 51% of candidates nothing special, universities like Manchester also has like 95-100%. Also it varies wildly between course. I know when I did my UG, that for my subject there were 1000+ apps, 82 started and 300 got offers. There's a freedom of information document online confirming it.

The majority of Warwick students do Maths, Economics or WBS subjects. Warwick doesn't do Geography, UG medicine, nor dentistry, there are very few sciences students actually (even if they offer the courses). Consequently, saying Warwick only has high entry standards for those subjects is meaningless, especially when a significantly large part of the student body study those.

It's not just banking; strategy consulting, law. From Warwick people get into Mckinsey or Bain (albeit atypically), other universities have 0.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Leeds
Original post by Newcastle456
UCL offers it to 51% of candidates nothing special, universities like Manchester also has like 95-100%. Also it varies wildly between course. I know when I did my UG, that for my subject there were 1000+ apps, 82 started and 300 got offers. There's a freedom of information document online confirming it.

The majority of Warwick students do Maths, Economics or WBS subjects. Warwick doesn't do Geography, UG medicine, nor dentistry, there are very few sciences students actually (even if they offer the courses). Consequently, saying Warwick only has high entry standards for those subjects is meaningless, especially when a significantly large part of the student body study those.

It's not just banking; strategy consulting, law. From Warwick people get into Mckinsey or Bain (albeit atypically), other universities have 0.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but Warwick offers places to ALL applicants, even for its flagship courses.

Erm, are you serious? Warwick has 23000+ students doing history, chemistry, physics, english and a whole lot of other courses. Its maths/econ and so on courses constitute only a minority of its students.

But it is just banking - for consulting, law and so on Warwick is not special at all - it is just a good uni. And McKinsey and Bain have recruited from other universities. Where are you getting your info from?
Yes but Warwick offers places to ALL applicants, even for its flagship courses.

Erm, are you serious? Warwick has 23000+ students doing history, chemistry, physics, english and a whole lot of other courses. Its maths/econ and so on courses constitute only a minority of its students.

But it is just banking - for consulting, law and so on Warwick is not special at all - it is just a good uni. And McKinsey and Bain have recruited from other universities. Where are you getting your info from?

No it doesn't. I know 6 of the 40 starting Mckinsey analysts in London; I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I also went to Cambridge and I have good contacts in the strategy consulting sphere. Even outside MBB, it's same for Oliver Wyman, AT Kearney, LEK etc.

Outside LBS and Oxbridge, LSE to lesser extent; strategy consulting firms prefer Warwick and Imperial. This has been done to death but Warwick has joint 2nd business school in UK and a top 4 economics department, it's easy to see why.

Warwick doesn't give offers to everyone, data is available online, you're talking nonsense.

No it doesn't, I went to the university for 3 years and know the composition. Very few students study outside my mentioned departments as a proportion of total student body.

I also work for a prominent government department now and an regularly in contact with academics both professionally and personally. High profile academics all across the world recognise Warwick Economics as world class, including those in MIT, Columbia aa well as the UK. Given that it's a driver in banking, consulting, public policy and business, it's easy to see why it has such good reputation amongst employers. The reputation from the business school and Economics departments, the driver of the bulk of the university's profit has had a positive externality for the broader student body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
No it doesn't. I know 6 of the 40 starting Mckinsey analysts in London; I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I also went to Cambridge and I have good contacts in the strategy consulting sphere. Even outside MBB, it's same for Oliver Wyman, AT Kearney, LEK etc.

Outside LBS and Oxbridge, LSE to lesser extent; strategy consulting firms prefer Warwick and Imperial. This has been done to death but Warwick has joint 2nd business school in UK and a top 4 economics department, it's easy to see why.

Apparently everyon knows everyone working at top firms here. Give me the data, and then we'll talk. Crap like I have 6 friends at a firm so I know what I'm talking about is just that - crap.

Warwick doesn't give offers to everyone, data is available online, you're talking nonsense.

Oh it is available - the question is, have you bothered to look at it?

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/mathematics-4-years-9000-g103-79845
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/biochemistry-3-years-9000-c700-79958
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/chemistry-4-years-9000-f105-79947

And many, many more. For someone with your 'credentials', you sure haven't done much looking around.

No it doesn't, I went to the university for 3 years and know the composition. Very few students study outside my mentioned departments as a proportion of total student body.

Are you freaking joking me? The university has over 25000 students. If its Maths/Econ so on courses were to account for the majority of those students, each class would need more than 1500-2000 people.

Please.

I also work for a prominent government department now and an regularly in contact with academics both professionally and personally. High profile academics all across the world recognise Warwick Economics as world class, including those in MIT, Columbia aa well as the UK. Given that it's a driver in banking, consulting, public policy and business, it's easy to see why it has such good reputation amongst employers. The reputation from the business school and Economics departments, the driver of the bulk of the university's profit has had a positive externality for the broader student body.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure sure. Read my first quote.

I went to the university for 3 years

Once again, this just confirms what I'm talking about.
Apparently everyon knows everyone working at top firms here. Give me the data, and then we'll talk. Crap like I have 6 friends at a firm so I know what I'm talking about is just that - crap.

Oh it is available - the question is, have you bothered to look at it?

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/mathematics-4-years-9000-g103-79845
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/biochemistry-3-years-9000-c700-79958
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/chemistry-4-years-9000-f105-79947

And many, many more. For someone with your 'credentials', you sure haven't done much looking around.

Are you freaking joking me? The university has over 25000 students. If its Maths/Econ so on courses were to account for the majority of those students, each class would need more than 1500-2000 people.

Please.

Sure sure. Read my first quote.

Once again, this just confirms what I'm talking about.

There are 350 to 400 pure UG Economists a year alone. Nevermind all the joint courses.

The business school probably has 1500 to 2000 UG students across all its courses every year.

You will soon realise it's the bulk.

You have just shown me biochemistry; maths because of step is atypical, Warwick isn't known for science courses like biology.

You're officially a tool.

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/economics-3-years-9000-l100-79893

https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/philosophy-politics-and-economics-ba-bsc-hons/university-of-warwick/cd/55688244/3771/

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/law-3-year-programme-3-years-9000-m100

That's not 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending