The Student Room Group

Both economics and business at a level

I have chosen economics, business and physical education at a level. I know that some top universities say that business and economics are too similar to have at a level, but is it still possible for me to get into a Russell group uni if I achieve top grades? I got all 8/9s at gcse and am unsure with uni choices but it will likely be business or sports related.
considering that you are applying for business or sports related degrees are you not considering bath or loughborough which both sit in the top 10 unis of the UK however they are not russell group?
Original post by anonymous12363
I have chosen economics, business and physical education at a level. I know that some top universities say that business and economics are too similar to have at a level, but is it still possible for me to get into a Russell group uni if I achieve top grades? I got all 8/9s at gcse and am unsure with uni choices but it will likely be business or sports related.

Depends which Russell Group uni. LSE, probably not. Exeter, fair chance.

If you're interested in pursuing sports I would definitely not limit yourself to the RG anyway, as aside from the fact it's a totally irrelevant factor as the RG is a political lobbying group masquerading as a postgraduate research consortium which in either case has no bearing on undergraduate teaching, there are some very good universities in general, and particularly in terms of sporting performance/facilities, which are not RG. Loughborough is of course the most obvious one on both counts. I think St Andrews does quite well in BUCS as well, albeit does not offer any sporting related degrees I'm aware of.
Original post by user123456324
considering that you are applying for business or sports related degrees are you not considering bath or loughborough which both sit in the top 10 unis of the UK however they are not russell group?

I mean top unis in general, Loughborough and bath both look great and I would definitely consider them. Would you say my a level choices would have a very negative impact on getting into these types of universities or it should still be possible?
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends which Russell Group uni. LSE, probably not. Exeter, fair chance.

If you're interested in pursuing sports I would definitely not limit yourself to the RG anyway, as aside from the fact it's a totally irrelevant factor as the RG is a political lobbying group masquerading as a postgraduate research consortium which in either case has no bearing on undergraduate teaching, there are some very good universities in general, and particularly in terms of sporting performance/facilities, which are not RG. Loughborough is of course the most obvious one on both counts. I think St Andrews does quite well in BUCS as well, albeit does not offer any sporting related degrees I'm aware of.

Thank you for the response and yes, I'm definitely not limiting myself I just said RG generally referring to top 10-20 universities. Do you think my options are still open with both business and economics as I've seen some top unis say (like lse and Warwick) that they don't consider them as separate subjects. Do you think it would be this harsh in unis such as nottingham, bath, loughborough etc
unless they specifically mention it within their course pages it shouldn't be a problem

Thank you for the response and yes, I'm definitely not limiting myself I just said RG generally referring to top 10-20 universities. Do you think my options are still open with both business and economics as I've seen some top unis say (like lse and Warwick) that they don't consider them as separate subjects. Do you think it would be this harsh in unis such as nottingham, bath, loughborough etc

Quick Reply

Latest