The Student Room Group

Cyber security

Hi Everyone,I know the basic information of cyber security but I would like more detailed information about cyber security more. The degree I have put in my UCAS application is Bsc computing degree I just realised that the course it too business oriented and I really dislike the business side of the degree but this degree BSc (Hons) Computer Systems (Forensic and Security) both in the same university has really made me interested but my maths is really bad but I am really good and passionate about computer systems Questions are:

1 The BSc (Hons) Computer Systems (Forensic and Security) how much maths does it have and how difficult is the maths side element.

2. It's worth doing that degree which is too specific and get job in the future doing cyber security I can always do something else in the computer sector than work my way up that way. Or doing something more general degree in the computer systems side. Please don't recommend computer Science as I said above my maths is bad.

All advice would be highly appreciated Thank you.
Reply 1
Don't know too much about the degrees but maybe consider a cyber security apprenticeship
Reply 2
Check out my post here on the maths side of FC -
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4285878&p=67332822#post67332822

Maths is something you are going to have to tackle in any computer related field, but especially cyber security. But I don't mean the maths you think I do - this isn't A level or even GCSE maths, this is (in a broad sense) applied maths. The stuff taught at school is barely scratching the surface and is the most textbook mathematics you can get. It's awful, tedious and I hated every minute of it. I struggled and didn't take it at A level, but I went through an FC degree.

Basic logic and problem solving are the name of the game in any IT career. To get good in the cyber security field you will need to see CPU and memory registers in your head and write code for them - this requires a low level understanding of how these components work and by doing so, you will be using maths. Running nmap and some brute forcing tools is not going to cut it for a career in that field. It's not working out the angles of a triangle or any of that nonsense, but actual tangible stuff that you will use in your daily life. It's not scary, but can seem it when you first encounter it.

Now, is FC really maths-ey? No, it isn't. But it does have some in it and I would really encourage you to do it. It's not meant for "uber geeks" as my course tutor put it, so it does ease you in less than compsci would. For you, who it looks is in a similar position to what I was in a few (read: many) years ago, I would say FC is a good choice. I have friends from the course who have gone off into cyber security and are doing very well for themselves now.
Where can you do a foundation course for CS? I had no idea you could.

I am struggling with CS - I am not a Math person and I didn't take it for A level. I just wanted to challenge myself with CS and yes, I am interested in it. The only thing I like so far is programming and I only do that once a week. :/ the math side is crap - I know it's only been a week but I don't see myself getting any better at it.

Right now I am suppose to be looking over my notes but I can't be bothered. I really can't.
Reply 4
Original post by venz_93
Hi Everyone,I know the basic information of cyber security but I would like more detailed information about cyber security more. The degree I have put in my UCAS application is Bsc computing degree I just realised that the course it too business oriented and I really dislike the business side of the degree but this degree BSc (Hons) Computer Systems (Forensic and Security) both in the same university has really made me interested but my maths is really bad but I am really good and passionate about computer systems Questions are:

1 The BSc (Hons) Computer Systems (Forensic and Security) how much maths does it have and how difficult is the maths side element.

2. It's worth doing that degree which is too specific and get job in the future doing cyber security I can always do something else in the computer sector than work my way up that way. Or doing something more general degree in the computer systems side. Please don't recommend computer Science as I said above my maths is bad.

All advice would be highly appreciated Thank you.

Hi Venz,

I have a CompSci back so I may be able to provide you with useful information.

To answer your first question you need to look up what modules you will cover in the course but also what the requirements. Have you tried contacting anyone in the CS department? Most CompSci related degrees require you to have decent maths knowledge while some have an A level requirement. Have you thought of a Software Engineering degree as there may be less maths involved but again depends on the course.

Many people in Cyber Security do not come from a technical background. Its more about what you done yourself. Also Cyber Security is a huge area, which area do you wish to go into as some areas do require technical backgrounds. Personally I would recommend a degree that isn't too specific but something that will give you a broader scope and then to do an MSc or gain experience in an area. This is so that you do not limit your job opportunities or if you wish to change you career in the future.

If you don't mind me asking how 'bad' is your maths as Cyber Security does require one to have good maths as many areas involve a high understanding of maths i.e. Cryptography.

Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Where can you do a foundation course for CS? I had no idea you could.

I am struggling with CS - I am not a Math person and I didn't take it for A level. I just wanted to challenge myself with CS and yes, I am interested in it. The only thing I like so far is programming and I only do that once a week. :/ the math side is crap - I know it's only been a week but I don't see myself getting any better at it.

Right now I am suppose to be looking over my notes but I can't be bothered. I really can't.

Are you able to transfer to a Software Engineering degree?
Reply 5
Hi Venz,

I have a CompSci back so I may be able to provide you with useful information.

To answer your first question you need to look up what modules you will cover in the course but also what the requirements. Have you tried contacting anyone in the CS department? Most CompSci related degrees require you to have decent maths knowledge while some have an A level requirement. Have you thought of a Software Engineering degree as there may be less maths involved but again depends on the course.

Many people in Cyber Security do not come from a technical background. Its more about what you done yourself. Also Cyber Security is a huge area, which area do you wish to go into as some areas do require technical backgrounds. Personally I would recommend a degree that isn't too specific but something that will give you a broader scope and then to do an MSc or gain experience in an area. This is so that you do not limit your job opportunities or if you wish to change you career in the future.

If you don't mind me asking how 'bad' is your maths as Cyber Security does require one to have good maths as many areas involve a high understanding of maths i.e. Cryptography.

Hi TLK,

Just started uni this week at the moment we all the class from computer science, computer system and the ICT classes are put together till Christmas then if we passed the maths module by certain mark or precentage than you can transfer to computer science, cyber security, software engineering ect. My maths is really bad i only done functional skills maths level 2 which I passed I haven't done GCSE A* to B maths or whats worst no A levels maths either. I just started python programming but they want us to learn from book great idea but i am more suited to learn from YouTube or video tutorials and research. Also area wise i don't mind anything in the IT/computer science world as long it don't contain too much maths. But cyber security did interest me enough but i am put off with the maths a lot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by venz_93

Hi TLK,

Just started uni this week at the moment we all the class from computer science, computer system and the ICT classes are put together till Christmas then if we passed the maths module by certain mark or precentage than you can transfer to computer science, cyber security, software engineering ect. My maths is really bad i only done functional skills maths level 2 which I passed I haven't done GCSE A* to B maths or whats worst no A levels maths either. I just started python programming but they want us to learn from book great idea but i am more suited to learn from YouTube or video tutorials and research. Also area wise i don't mind anything in the IT/computer science world as long it don't contain too much maths. But cyber security did interest me enough but i am put off with the maths a lot.

Hi Venz,

How is the first week? In your position it would be best to see what the different areas at your uni are by asking your lectures. I would not recommend CompSci as it does require good maths knowledge (varies with different universities though). I am not that familiar with Computer Systems courses so best to check that out as you stated you are passionate in it. Do you enjoy programming? If so then Software Engineering/Developing may be for you as it requires less maths knowledge. To be honest with Cyber Security you can still get into that in the future if you wish as many companies tend to hire experience professionals than fresh graduates in that area. I think all jobs will involve some minor maths but if you do go for Cyber Security then be prepared for Cryptography as that is very maths intensive and is taught in most Cyber courses (again check with your lecturers).

Yeah I could never learn programming as well with books. Have you tried Codecademy? It's where I first learnt Python and its all interactive.
Are you able to transfer to a Software Engineering degree?

I am so not sure about that.
Does that involve less math?
I thought it was worse than CS.
Queen Mary had a more creative 'Multimedia Arts Technology degree' but I called up and they said they're full. Not too happy about starting that degree in 2017
Reply 8

I am so not sure about that.
Does that involve less math?
I thought it was worse than CS.
Queen Mary had a more creative 'Multimedia Arts Technology degree' but I called up and they said they're full. Not too happy about starting that degree in 2017

Normally it does as its geared towards programming however it depends on the university. No its not worse than CS, it just depends on what you want to go into in the future. Software Engineering degrees tend to give you more experience working in teams developing as you would in a real life scenario and probably concentrates more on Software Design and Development.
Original post by TLK
Normally it does as its geared towards programming however it depends on the university. No its not worse than CS, it just depends on what you want to go into in the future. Software Engineering degrees tend to give you more experience working in teams developing as you would in a real life scenario and probably concentrates more on Software Design and Development.

So what are the general modules of that software engineering degree - have you done it??

Cheers for the advice
Reply 10
So what are the general modules of that software engineering degree - have you done it??

Cheers for the advice

Every university has different modules I am afraid but majority if not all will include Software Design and Development. No I did Computer Science while my friend did Software Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending