The Student Room Group

Should I try cybersecurity or stick with pharmacy?

Hi I’m about to go into year 12 and I’m thinking of doing biology, chemistry and psychology for a levels and then pursuing pharmacy as a career, however I’ve always low-key wanted to go into cyber security the problem is I’m terrible at maths and computer science specifically coding so I don’t see the point of pursuing it as a career but should I try anyway?

If I were to go into cyber security would I have to change subjects or could I keep the ones I have while getting a certificate in cybersecurity/coding or something like how do I get in or should I stick with pharmacy? I don’t mind it but I’ve been hearing that it’s a dying career and I want something that will make me money while being rewarding as a career.
I personally was going to go in to health and social and wanted to become a nurse. However i found an amazing computer course that really made me change my mind. In September i will now go to college to hopefully become a software developer and then hopefully go into cyber security or software engineering.(Im still unsure) You are right tho, there is a huge shortage of people in cyber security, to the extent people are now getting imported from other countries. The amazing this is, because there is a high demand now, the pay is really good. I also wanted to tell you that to go in to the IT field, you really dont need good grades. a level 3 IT course in my collage only requires a minimal of 4, in atleast 4 subjects. By the way ive never really done any coding or IT related either so dont be too worried about that. And no you dont have to change any subjects as far as im aware(in the UK), depending on which uni you want to go to they will ask for a minimal reqirement for gcse's and they'll want UCAS points(A-level's)But its best to go to the website of the uni u want to go to and check the cyber security course requirements.. At the end of the day its completely your choice and what you feel comfortable with so I hope this helps a little. BEST OF LUCK!!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by siocrystal
I personally was going to go in to health and social and wanted to become a nurse. However i found an amazing computer course that really made me change my mind. In September i will now go to college to hopefully become a software developer and then hopefully go into cyber security or software engineering.(Im still unsure) You are right tho, there is a huge shortage of people in cyber security, to the extent people are now getting imported from other countries. The amazing this is, because there is a high demand now, the pay is really good. I also wanted to tell you that to go in to the IT field, you really dont need good grades. a level 3 IT course in my collage only requires a minimal of 4, in atleast 4 subjects. By the way ive never really done any coding or IT related either so dont be too worried about that. And no you dont have to change any subjects as far as im aware(in the UK), depending on which uni you want to go to they will ask for a minimal reqirement for gcse's and they'll want UCAS points(A-level's)But its best to go to the website of the uni u want to go to and check the cyber security course requirements.. At the end of the day its completely your choice and what you feel comfortable with so I hope this helps a little. BEST OF LUCK!!

Hi, Since year 12 I've always wanted to go into the creative field so I picked media studies, graphics and business studies but have had a huge change of heart and wanted to get into computer science/cybersecurity/IT. The thing is I've only ever gotten a 5 in GCSE maths and not done any maths A Levels. Do you think I could still pursue this career in uni with my subjects and hard dedication?
Original post by Clivierx
Hi, Since year 12 I've always wanted to go into the creative field so I picked media studies, graphics and business studies but have had a huge change of heart and wanted to get into computer science/cybersecurity/IT. The thing is I've only ever gotten a 5 in GCSE maths and not done any maths A Levels. Do you think I could still pursue this career in uni with my subjects and hard dedication?

The uni im wanting to go to requires just a pass in eng and math and any other two gcse subjects and 80 UCAS points.( A* in one A-level= 56 UCAS points) So u could totally go in to the IT field in uni (as long as its not something like Oxford or Cambridge) but again i definitely advise you to go on the page of the uni u want to go to, and check the requirements for the course u want to pursue.
Reply 5
Original post by siocrystal
The uni im wanting to go to requires just a pass in eng and math and any other two gcse subjects and 80 UCAS points.( A* in one A-level= 56 UCAS points) So u could totally go in to the IT field in uni (as long as its not something like Oxford or Cambridge) but again i definitely advise you to go on the page of the uni u want to go to, and check the requirements for the course u want to pursue.

Yeah I've tried to do this and have found so many courses I could do from really solid unis which is a relief. The only thing I'm worried about is the maths aspect as I havn't done maths A Level.
Reply 6
Original post by Clivierx
Yeah I've tried to do this and have found so many courses I could do from really solid unis which is a relief. The only thing I'm worried about is the maths aspect as I havn't done maths A Level.

Hi there,

I am a year 13 student going to uni, if you want to go into the technology field, you need to find what exactly you want to go into, as it's a broad field with many sectors. If you want to study Computer Science at university or any computing course in UK at a respectable uni, most of them require you to have an a level in Mathematics, alongside you're other subjects. However, cyber security courses tend to have less mathematics and most universities don't require you to have an A level in Maths. Cyber Security is more focused in protecting systems and learning about cyber attacks, online theft and etc. I hope this addresses you're doubts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending