The Student Room Group

Uni paths

Im doing two btecs and an a level, expected with 96 tarrif points, wanting to do cyber security at university. I need some advice on what universities would be best for me in this case
Original post by Aliza_amrx
Im doing two btecs and an a level, expected with 96 tarrif points, wanting to do cyber security at university. I need some advice on what universities would be best for me in this case

Are the two BTEC both Extended Certificates? What subjects are the BTECs? What subject is the A level? Are you hoping to start this September, or next September? Any chance you'd be a contextual candidate (that would help with the grade requirement)?

With only 96 UCAS points you might be looking at a foundation year, unless you're hoping to get a place this year via Clearing and find a university which has lowered their requirement sufficiently.

Do any of these appeal?

Cyber Security with a Foundation Year at Birmingham City University. They're asking for "96 UCAS Tariff points, from three A Levels or equivalent" for 2024/25 entry (details here) although for 2023/24 entry via Clearing they say, "BB or 80 UCAS tariff points from A/AS Level with a minimum of 2 A Levels" (details here).

Cyber Security at The University of Central Lancashire. Their normal entry requirement is "UCAS: 96-112 points at A2", where the lower end of that range is probably for contextual candidates. However, this course is in Clearing right now for 2023/24 entry, so they may be happy with 96 points for non-contextual candidates too. Details here.

Cyber Security at University of Gloucestershire. Their normal entry requirement is "104 UCAS tariff points, BCC at A levels, DMM at BTEC or a Merit in your T-Level", but are in Clearing right now so may will willing to accept 96 points. Details here.

There are other options too - but the above should get you started.
Reply 2
Im doing A level edexcel maths, Cambridge Technicals IT level 3,
and level 3 BTEC in business. (neither are extended) The Hoping to start September 2024, not a contextual candidate.
University of Birmingham seems reasonable, im curious to know of any more universities that fit my criteria, and thank you for helping me out with this

Original post by DataVenia
Are the two BTEC both Extended Certificates? What subjects are the BTECs? What subject is the A level? Are you hoping to start this September, or next September? Any chance you'd be a contextual candidate (that would help with the grade requirement)?

With only 96 UCAS points you might be looking at a foundation year, unless you're hoping to get a place this year via Clearing and find a university which has lowered their requirement sufficiently.

Do any of these appeal?

Cyber Security with a Foundation Year at Birmingham City University. They're asking for "96 UCAS Tariff points, from three A Levels or equivalent" for 2024/25 entry (details here) although for 2023/24 entry via Clearing they say, "BB or 80 UCAS tariff points from A/AS Level with a minimum of 2 A Levels" (details here).

Cyber Security at The University of Central Lancashire. Their normal entry requirement is "UCAS: 96-112 points at A2", where the lower end of that range is probably for contextual candidates. However, this course is in Clearing right now for 2023/24 entry, so they may be happy with 96 points for non-contextual candidates too. Details here.

Cyber Security at University of Gloucestershire. Their normal entry requirement is "104 UCAS tariff points, BCC at A levels, DMM at BTEC or a Merit in your T-Level", but are in Clearing right now so may will willing to accept 96 points. Details here.

There are other options too - but the above should get you started.
Im doing A level edexcel maths, Cambridge Technicals IT level 3,
and level 3 BTEC in business. (neither are extended) The Hoping to start September 2024, not a contextual candidate.
University of Birmingham seems reasonable, im curious to know of any more universities that fit my criteria, and thank you for helping me out with this

Thanks for the information. What was it about the Birmingham course which appealed? (Just so I know what you're looking for?) Was it that it was the only non-Clearing option of the three?
Reply 4
Sounds like a good uni, and that the foundation year meets my criteria
Thanks for the information. What was it about the Birmingham course which appealed? (Just so I know what you're looking for?) Was it that it was the only non-Clearing option of the three?
Sounds like a good uni, and that the foundation year meets my criteria

OK. I'll take a look.

(By the way, that wasn't at the University of Birmingham. It was at Birmingham City University (BCU). They are different universities. I don't know whether that impacts your impression of the course.)
Reply 6
Thats still fine, doesnt impact my impression of the course

OK. I'll take a look.

(By the way, that wasn't at the University of Birmingham. It was at Birmingham City University (BCU). They are different universities. I don't know whether that impacts your impression of the course.)
Thats still fine, doesnt impact my impression of the course

OK. Here are some others:

University College Birmingham. Cyber Security BSc (Hons). "A minimum of 96 UCAS Tariff points will be required." See here.

University of Wolverhampton. BSc (Hons) Cybersecurity. "96 UCAS points". See here.

University of Bedfordshire. Cybersecurity BSc (Hons). "At least 96 points with 80 points from at least 2 A level passes" See here.

University of Bradford. Computer Science for Cyber Security (with Integrated Foundation Year). "Typical offer - 72 UCAS tariff points." See here.

London Metropolitan University. Computer Networking and Cyber Security - BSc (Hons). "...a minimum of grades BB or CCE (or a minimum of 80 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification, eg BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma/Diploma; or Advanced Diploma; or Progression Diploma; or Access to HE Diploma of 60 credits)". See here.
Reply 8
I also wanted to ask what computer science fields are good, that doesnt require high tarrif points, high scope in the future, well paid, and a field that requires physical work and creativity thank you, this helped alot.
I also wanted to ask what computer science fields are good, that doesnt require high tarrif points, high scope in the future, well paid, and a field that requires physical work and creativity thank you, this helped alot.

I'm not quite sure what "requires physical work" means. Most jobs in IT / Computing (including cyber security) are desk-based jobs where the only "physical work" involves using a keyboard and mouse. There'd be some meetings (with users, managers, etc.), and some support-based jobs involve travelling to client sites to resolve technical issues which can't be fixed over the phone (or by remotely connecting to the device). What sort of "physical work" did you have in mind?

In terms of you other criteria, I would be thought that cyber security (which you seem to be leaning towards) fits the bill quite nicely.
Reply 10
A field that requires practical work, thanks for ur help, ive got a clearer vision on what universities to apply to now

I'm not quite sure what "requires physical work" means. Most jobs in IT / Computing (including cyber security) are desk-based jobs where the only "physical work" involves using a keyboard and mouse. There'd be some meetings (with users, managers, etc.), and some support-based jobs involve travelling to client sites to resolve technical issues which can't be fixed over the phone (or by remotely connecting to the device). What sort of "physical work" did you have in mind?

In terms of you other criteria, I would be thought that cyber security (which you seem to be leaning towards) fits the bill quite nicely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending