The Student Room Group

Reverse Racism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Longshot002
You're joking right? Have you not seen what happens to black people in India.

As I said asians, including Indians can be (and some are) racist, but it is pure racism not the made up concept of reverse racism, as racism can be by any race and against any race.
Original post by Good bloke
What cases of police brutality? If you are speaking of the USA then you need to say so. Their cases are the result of a nasty gun culture, frightened cops who would rather shoot first and ask questions later and armed criminals.

I don't recognise such a description as applying to Britain.

Black on Black crime needs to be recognized, while there have been instances of Unlawful use of a weapon many Murders are committed by blacks on black people.
Original post by Akamega
Are you implying that current cases of police brutality are the fault of the predominantly, black victims?

Is that what your reading comprehension got from what I said?
Original post by CraigBackner
from an article it stated that you can only be racist if you have privilege and power, which minorites dont have

No, that;s just the justification given by the supremacists in the minority groups. Discrimination does not require power or privilege, after all, the little man so often wants to discriminate against the rich and powerful man out of envy.
Original post by Jammy Duel
No, that;s just the justification given by the supremacists in the minority groups. Discrimination does not require power or privilege, after all, the little man so often wants to discriminate against the rich and powerful man out of envy.

For once, I find myself agreeing with you.
Original post by Mactotaur
For once, I find myself agreeing with you.

Well, it makes sense that even every once in a while the wrongest of people are right :tongue:
Original post by Jammy Duel
Well, it makes sense that even every once in a while the wrongest of people are right :tongue:

It is a rare occasion when you're right.
With this whole institutional thing you end up with an interesting thought experiment, though I'm as yet unsure what the conclusion should be to it.

Let's say, hypothetically, black people were never oppressed. The whites never colonised or enslaved anybody, minorities had equal rights from the start, and so on. Effectively everything is the same but white people have never had any "institutional power" over ethnic minority populations. In this hypothetical world, given the definition that racism requires institutional power, if I then go up to a black person and refer to him in a derogatory manner using the infamous n-word purely because I dislike his skin colour, is it correct to say that I haven't been racist?

Original post by ThatOldGuy
Is that what your reading comprehension got from what I said?

Well, yes. You did say:

Essentially, it treats said group as children incapable of making intelligent and moral decisions thanks to some vague thing that happened to someone at some point...

Black man gets shot by a black cop in a black community with a black mayor? That's clearly the fault of institutional racism created by centuries of oppression.

Maybe, I'm confused. What exactly did you mean?

It's pretty easy to demonstrate institutionalised racism in America, so referring to it as a get-out of jail card is a little ridiculous.
Original post by Akamega
Well, yes. You did say:

Maybe, I'm confused. What exactly did you mean?

It's pretty easy to demonstrate institutionalised racism in America, so referring to it as a get-out of jail card is a little ridiculous.

What I was saying was that the riots in Baltimore were ridiculous and stupid. Not that there is no such thing as racism in the US.

And I am really excited to hear about how you can demonstrate institutionalised racism!

Obviously, I am going to use the mathematical truism "Correlation is not causation.". So without using correlation, to infer racism, please prove institutionalized racism.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by I-Hate-Edexcel
If I bully someone younger than me its called bullying. If someone younger than me bullies me its still called bullying. Not reverse Bullying. Same rules apply here :colonhash:

Yeah cause bullying is definitely as complex as racism...
Original post by bones-mccoy
Yeah cause bullying is definitely as complex as racism...

It doesnt have to be as complex? Bullying and racism are both issues....its called an analogy
Original post by I-Hate-Edexcel
It doesnt have to be as complex? Bullying and racism are both issues....its called an analogy

I know it's analogy....but it doesn't work in this case.
One personal thing I've always wondered. I hear a lot about the way black people are portrayed in the media being largely negative...I'm always thinking "Since when?".

For me, one of the youngest things I remember is from a game which I believed consisted of absolutely nothing called "Skates and Kel". Either me or my brother would be Skates from Streets of Rage, the other Kel from Keenan and Kel. Fk knows what we actually did, but literally the furthest back I remember, we were already looking up to these black characters.

Then my next icon. I don't care what bllocks people want to say about his race...The Rock counts as a black guy. This is especially true in pro wrestling considering his rise came about because of his race and affiliation to Nation of Domination. Rock was the biggest icon ever to me and I'd spend hours trying to emulate the guy.

Then music. There was some cheesier **** to begin with like Sex on the Beach or Grease Lightning, but after that my two favourite genres were 90s dance music and rap. I'm a Dreamer, What Is Love etc. features black people singing, I never even noticed, and then people like 2pac etc. filled the bulk of my music.

I'm not using any of this sht to be like "Some of my best friends are whatever" but what I'm trying to say is, I was just another kid like everyone else. From my memory of the media in the UK and what we got from overseas, I don't once remember ever having any negative displays from black people, ever. No one was condemning them, no one was doing anything. Probably all of the biggest icons to me in music, computer games (especially San Andreas) and movies/TV for me personally were black, and honestly I didn't even think twice about it. It's just by chance that so many are black (what race is Henrik Larsson? :biggrin:). But never once did anything ever make me question or even notice these icons based on race, and I was likely as if not more brought up listening to and soaking in the media.

Before 2010, I don't remember even considering race to be a factor.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I know it's analogy....but it doesn't work in this case.

How doesn't it? If a white discriminates against a non white on the basis of race it is, by definition, racism. If a non white discriminates against a white on the basis of race, guess what, it's by definition racism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending