The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography (Human) 18th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James_01
So you think Belfast would be ok for a suitable sustainable city?

I'm sure it's fine as long as you state how they make it sustainable and how effective it is.
Original post by Parente
I wrote about BedZED too, I can asure you its fine, it asked, 'What are the features of a sustainable city'. I had the choice of using Curitiba or BedZED but I know more about BedZED. Last years paper had an identical question and in the mark scheme im sure it said, 'Expect most answers about Curitiba and BedZED' What did you put for the definition of sustainable urban living? I just guessed

Something like meeting the needs of people without damaging or changing the environment :smile:
Could you use 2 case studies for the 8 marker on the tourism section????
[QUOTE="MajorRisk;38204238"]
Original post by harps_singh

I agree!

And you could say the question was the key it explained what the colors showed and the thickness.
Reply 464
Original post by Calloftheking
Could you use 2 case studies for the 8 marker on the tourism section????

erm if my memory is correct i think it was choose one case study or something along the lines of in an area you have studied. Did you do more than 1 or something?
Ran out of points for Kenya and started talking about brazil. The question did not say ONE in bold like it did for the international aid question for the development gap sction. However I did write down Kenya first so if they Mark only the first one they see I should get 4 or 5 marks atleast because my Kenya case study was better than my brazil one.
Reply 466
Original post by harps_singh
Something like meeting the needs of people without damaging or changing the environment :smile:

Do you know what the definition for sustainable development is? Do you think it would be correct if I replaced the developmet bit with urban living? I said something like, it is living which meets present needs without comprimising the ability of future generations to achieve their needs and aspirations :smile:
Reply 467
Original post by pseudonymegg
don't worry, you shouldn't have gon with your gut cartogram as that wasn't even an option :L

I can't remember exactly what it was called xD
It started with a t, and ended with cal...
Original post by Konflict
I can't remember exactly what it was called xD
It started with a t, and ended with cal...

Topological. :smile:
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be to get an A? If it's similar to last year than around 40 something out of 75 will be an A.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 470
Ran out of points for Kenya and started talking about brazil. The question did not say ONE in bold like it did for the international aid question for the development gap sction. However I did write down Kenya first so if they Mark only the first one they see I should get 4 or 5 marks atleast because my Kenya case study was better than my brazil one.

Ok, so if you know the answer then why are you asking? :tongue:
Oh and yeah, they'll mark whichever one you did first, so youll probably be fine
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry just wanted to make sure that I'll atleast get some marks because I was getting worried that the examiner would give me 0 marks for putting 2 places.
Reply 472
Sorry just wanted to make sure that I'll atleast get some marks because I was getting worried that the examiner would give me 0 marks for putting 2 places.

Sorry just realized i may have come across a little rude :colondollar: - which was not the intention
Yes you hopefully should get at least half marks. Dont worry some girls in my year did it for the development 8 mark question, which clearly stated one so i wouldnt worry. :smile:
Original post by sophie5
Sorry just realized i may have come across a little rude :colondollar: - which was not the intention
Yes you hopefully should get at least half marks. Dont worry some girls in my year did it for the development 8 mark question, which clearly stated one so i wouldnt worry. :smile:

Thanks for that I feel less worried now.
Original post by Maisie10
oh this has made my day. Thats what I was thinking, that they might not actually know about tataquara lodge...and im still adamant it didnt even hint to mass tourism haha by saying 'large numbers of tourists'

What kinda things did you put for this question then :smile: ?

as long as i get a few marks...:rolleyes:

Phew yeh! It should be ok. And what the hell! If it was about mass tourism, put MASS TOURISM because "large numbers" is surely interpretational.

I talked about large numbers going because of the unique nature of the place and how the tribes that run it provide lots of activities like jungle walks and shaman teachings and the hot climate (being the in f'king tropics of course).......you can afford to loses ~18 marks on the paper and still get an A* it should be fine...
Reply 475
Hey, I completely forget the case study for the Development Gap topic(I should have put about FARM Africa). Instead, I just decided to put down the Rio de Janeiro case study which was for improving squatter settlements, which I thought was relevant to the development of the country/area. Would have I got any marks for this development question, even though I used a case study for the urban topic?
Reply 476
Original post by MajorRisk
Yes, but then it was a Cartogram, which is a type of Chloropleth Map.
The two choices were BOTH types of Cartograms 1)Chloropleth Maps and 2) Topological maps. I think the question will just be discounted by AQA as a lot of debate has been sparked. I agree with you to a point with the key not being there, but that isn't the be all and end all.:wink:

Potentially, a bit silly of AQA to put it in when it's nowhere to be seen on the spec, but I'll stick with my guns and say they were Topological. Right or wrong it's worth one mark, it's not as if they asked "What is Geography? (25 marks)" so no big deal overall.
Reply 477
Original post by pseudonymegg
so A and A* then i'm guessing as i believe ums for the exam was 170?? If this is correct then i'm sure you will only need a C to get an A overall but may need a higher grade for an A* :biggrin: but about the one about physical and human factors was this for the one about water pollution or where you had to label the picture???

I think I missed it out by accident. It was in the tourism section so it was the labeling question. I can't remember missing anything out though. Wasn't there another choice which I could've picked???...
Original post by kILLERm
I think I missed it out by accident. It was in the tourism section so it was the labeling question. I can't remember missing anything out though. Wasn't there another choice which I could've picked???...

Just to clarify the exam is out of 150. Don't worry out it, you can't do anything more about it. I was stressing out about my French and Maths, but, I got over it aha. I know it's a lot easier just to say that, but, you'll be fine. The grade boundaries are ridiculously low, you only need in the low 50s to get an A* usually, so you'll be fine! :biggrin:

Good luck with your results. :smile:
Reply 479
If you got a C in the coursework but an A*s in the two exams, can you still get an A or B overall ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending