The Student Room Group

A level sociology

hi I'm a gcse student and im really into humanities so thought i should take sociology. but i didnt take it at gcse. Can i still do well or should i do some study to prepare? If not , what other subject should i take ? ( i want to take history, philosophy and ethics both of which i did at gcse)
Tanks for reading
Reply 1
Original post by Shrek2onDVD
hi I'm a gcse student and im really into humanities so thought i should take sociology. but i didnt take it at gcse. Can i still do well or should i do some study to prepare? If not , what other subject should i take ? ( i want to take history, philosophy and ethics both of which i did at gcse)
Tanks for reading

Most schools should allow students to take sociology as an A level without prior knowledge of the subject, or have taken it as a GCSE. I'm doing A Levels right now and there are students who are doing A Level Sociology, whilst picking subjects completely unrelated to Sociology for their GCSEs. For example, my friend did Economics and Computer Science for GCSE, and is now doing Sociology for his A Levels. I'd like to add that this is from my own experience within my own particular school, I don't personally know what other school are like and how they would treat the entry standards for their A Level subjects, ideally you should always have a good Maths and English Language grade in general, so it can aid you with you A Level options. Try talking to you teachers at school, such as a head of 6th form, if you have one, if not then try ask teachers in general, ideally those that teach A Level Sociology or just Sociology in general. Hope this helped!!
Reply 2
GCSE AQA Sociology is so different to A Level AQA sociology, so my school doesn't even offer GCSE level because it's so different! I've had absolutely no issues studying sociology at a level without studying it at GCSE, so you'll be completely fine!
Reply 3
Hi, I do A level Sociology and I want to be honest with you, it is very easy. You really aren't stimulated enough. Also, it is not that respected by unis and employers compared to other humanities. I would recommend, English, DEFO HISTORY( i love it), Philosophy, a language, Geography etc.

Quick Reply

Latest