The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Oh dear.

It's clearly 0, by the way.
addition is cummulative, you treat - as +(-1) so the minuses are really plusses with neg numbers.
They've been teaching you wrong at school
safmaster
Using B.O.D.M.A.S it's -2; Addition is before Subtraction therefore it's 2-(3+1) = 2-4 = -2

This is the case if you are following B.O.D.M.A.S explicitly however with addition and subtraction you don't follow B.O.D.M.A.S; hence the answer is 0.

wtf? what the **** are you doing man, you turned the +1 into a -1, multiply that out its now
2-3-1 !!
using bodmas it comes to 0
2+1 then -3 =0

god people are thick these days
Reply 103
i can't believe there are 6 pages of replies for this
Why is everyone saying 0. Its -2.

BODMAS.

Brackets
other
division
multiplication
addition 3+1=4
subtraction 2-4=-2

So if you follow bodmas its -2.

Calculator don't do bodmas thats why everyone is getting it wrong.
Reply 105
Simplicity
Why is everyone saying 0. Its -2.

BODMAS.

Brackets
other
division
multiplication
addition 3+1=4
subtraction 2-4=-2

So if you follow bodmas its -2.

Calculator don't do bodmas thats why everyone is getting it wrong.

It's you that's wrong... great to see you've ignored the entire thread (not that this is a rare trait of yours :p:).

If you were right, then distributivity of multiplication over addition would break down, because we'd have:
2-3+1 = 2-(3+1) = 2-3-1, implying that 2-3+1=2-3-1, so 1=-1.
nuodai
It's you that's wrong... great to see you've ignored the entire thread (not that this is a rare trait of yours :p:).

If you were right, then distributivity of multiplication over addition would break down, because we'd have:
2-3+1 = 2-(3+1) = 2-3-1, implying that 2-3+1=2-3-1, so 1=-1.

I was wondering if people read the thread before posting its 0. I don't know why this isn't closed. Its like the 0.99..=1, then you get people posting its not true. But they are trolling.

Anyway, mods close this thread. The anwser is 0.
6 pages of replies :rofl:

BO DM AS

you can separate BODMAS out like that with DM and AS having the exact same priority, thus working left-to-right is the norm.
Reply 109
I think a lot of people are missing the point, including those who understand that it's 0; it's got nothing to do with BIDMAS/BODMAS because, whichever way you read it, you end up with 0 (which, incidentally, is why AS are grouped together as well as DM).

(2-3) + 1 = -1 + 1 = 0

2 + (-3 + 1) = 0

2-(3-1) = 0

1 + 2 - 3 = 0

2 + 1 - 3 = 0

(-3 + 2) + 1 = -1 + 1 = 0

The only possible way someone is confusing it is by thinking

2 - 3 + 1 = 2 - (3 + 1) but clearly that's wrong because 2 - (3 + 1) = 2 - 3 - 1, not 2 - 3 + 1.

Your teacher is a moron for suggesting it could be either.

As my teacher put it, there's no such thing as subtraction... it's adding a negative therefore the sum reads;

2 + (-3) + 1 = 0

No?
lol @ those who put -2
I am genuinely shocked at this thread and I hope a lot of people are trolling.
Applying bodmas, it is 2 + (-3 +1) which is equal to zero.
Reply 114
No matter what 2-3+1=0.

In BODMAS addition and subtraction can be done in any order.

So when we solve this question from left to the right: we get 2-3=-1, then -1+1=0.

When we do addition first, all we need to do is remember is to attach the negative sign onto the '3'. So, -3+1=-2, then 2-2=0.

Hence 2-3+1=0.

Wow that was a long answer for such a trivial question.
Reply 115
Clearly it is zero, what is bad is that somebody's (probably secondary school) teacher actually thought it might be -2.

Oh dear

Latest