The Student Room Group

What does 3<180 mean in the polynomial calculator mode?

What does this mean? Its the first time I've never seen it.
This is used for 2x^2+5x-3=0
IMG_9374.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Looks like complex number mod-arg form so its really -3 which is a root of the quadratic
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Looks like complex number mod-arg form so its really -3 which is a root of the quadratic

That sounds like further maths? Would I need to include that in my answer if I'm just doing Maths?
Original post by Abzdot
What does this mean? Its the first time I've never seen it.
This is used for 2x^2+5x-3=0

@mqb2766 is correct. It is a quirk of the Casio fx-991EX that if the complex mode of the calculator is set to the r, theta option, it will present negative real roots in this form. The angle symbol at the top of the calculator display conforms that the complex mode is set to r, theta. To revert to a more conventional presentation of negative real roots, you need to go into the menu and set the complex mode to "a + bi". The complex setting is on the second page of menu options after keying shift-menu.
Reply 4
Original post by old_engineer
@mqb2766 is correct. It is a quirk of the Casio fx-991EX that if the complex mode of the calculator is set to the r, theta option, it will present negative real roots in this form. The angle symbol at the top of the calculator display conforms that the complex mode is set to r, theta. To revert to a more conventional presentation of negative real roots, you need to go into the menu and set the complex mode to "a + bi". The complex setting is on the second page of menu options after keying shift-menu.

Ah yes now I have -3 showing up rather than... what ever that thing is :P Thank you
I just made an account just to say thank you, bcz i was struggling to revert back to the conventional setting

Original post by old_engineer

Quick Reply

Latest