>More regulation
>More immigrants
>Lower sentence times for criminals

Tory controlled County Councils:
>Better education
>Better roads
>More efficient public services
>Lower taxes

Because cutting libraries makes public services more effiecient obviously.
Reply 161
Original post by Bornblue
Those who aren't rich sometimes need help from the state to survive. Child benefits, EMA and other benefits can be incredibly helpful for the less fortunate in society.

Yet Tories assume anyone who recieves help from the state is a scrounger.

Where are you getting these assumptions from?

If you say this thread, you lose.
Original post by Big-Benji
:beer:

Just to add to the NHS point; in order for the Tories to gain more support they promised that they would leave the NHS completely alone! HA! What a grand lie that turned out to be!

Please tell me where it is in their manifesto that they were going to leave the NHS alone....
Reply 163
Original post by Seb B
No, they don't think they're better than the rest, they are better than the rest. We could bring in a voting eligability exam to prove it. Anyway, whats your problem with some people being better than other people at understanding objectively the issues in hand. For the most part our lives revolve around what grades we get at gcse, a-level and degree level. The world isn't that simple or ideal.

It's not even about being inherently better at it - just being qualified would be an improvement. E.g. most government decisions on the economy are based on (or ought to be based on) things learned in the first year of an economics degree, so it's not like the concepts are particularly difficult to grasp or beyond a lot of people.

So not necessarily that the general public is stupid, it just seems unreasonable to expect the average person to have enough knowledge about these things to make a truly informed decision.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sclez1
If you're going to make a rigorous point, don't include generalized, sweeping and often false statements like that.

You need to do your research.

People can still get a full loan covering their Tutition fee. The Maintenance loan has been increased.

Payment now starts at 21k which is higher than the previous 15k repayment threshold. And the amount you would start paying a month at 15k is exactly the same as 21k. So you have to earn more by the time you repay and you repay less as a proportion of your loan.
People almost always vote for the party that leaves them better off and for me that's the SNP or Labour.
Reply 166
Original post by swbp
Because cutting libraries makes public services more effiecient obviously.

As far as I know, libraries spend an exorbitant amount of public funds per book loaned, so yes they are very inefficient.
Reply 167
Because some people are optimistic. The things the Labour party are supposed to stand for are things that a lot of people think are good. They supposedly stand for a sense of community and social justice: the idea that we have some responsibility to help those who are more in need than ourselves, to offer everyone a chance to contribute to society but to ensure a decent quality of life for those who can't. Higher taxes, maybe, but it's supposed to come out of a social conscience, not a desire to penalize hard work.

Unfortunately, that's not what the Labour party will ensure if they get into power, because everything is such an incomprehensible mess that all any party can do is struggle through as best they can whilst trying desperately to hold the economy so it looks like it's together. They can pass a few policies that won't do much as a token gesture towards their core values (or, if they're the Lib Dems, they can help pass policies that stand against everything they're supposed to believe in or have promised), but really it's like tidying up the flowerbed in the middle of a hurricane. It might make people feel like there's some sense of order, but actually, there's still a massive load of trillion-pound-debt-shaped debris flying down the road.

I feel sorry for anyone who gets into power, really. It's all so difficult that it's unlikely they'll be able to do anything good, and they'll have to take the blame for problems that are completely out of their hands. Like how people blame Obama for America's economy, like Obama was in charge of all the banks for the last 20 years or something. Poor Obama.
Generally... because their not the tories haha

However, as the UK, like America, is a 2 party system (sorry Mr. Clegg :colondollar:) --> voting/elections tend to follow the same boring pattern.

Ie.

i) Party A comes into power promising a change to rebalance the weaknesses left by the previous govt, party B.

ii) Things might go well to begin, but generally things will sour for Party A's govt.

iii) Election time! Party B will say "Look what Party A has done, change must happen now" = Party B gets elected

iv) Party B makes changes but really is no different to Party A.

v) Election time! Party A: "Look what Party B has done to our country"

etc
etc
etc
etc

Thus, no one in government actually has to take responsibility for anything, because it's always a result of what "they" previously did.
Reply 169
looking beyond your own needs and thinking of what will benefit others. I don't benefit from higher taxes and state welfare, but a lot of people do. I'd rather vote for a party that promotes equality than one which keeps me comfortable at the expense of others.
Reply 170
Original post by NGC773
You need to do your research.

People can still get a full loan covering their Tutition fee. The Maintenance loan has been increased.

Payment now starts at 21k which is higher than the previous 15k repayment threshold. And the amount you would start paying a month at 15k is exactly the same as 21k. So you have to earn more by the time you repay and you repay less as a proportion of your loan.

Yes, and you might be able to put up an argument that the new system is better/fairer or whatever, but you cannot say that people pay less - it's just widely untrue. The government admits that it's doing it to make more money, through people paying back more. Unless you meant that they pay back more, but less over certain periods of time as the repayment is drawn out for longer?
Reply 171
Original post by stac4321
If money was a direct result of hard work, every woman in Africa would be a ****ing millionaire.

In Africa not every single person gets free education, are spoon fed the qualifications they need to progress to earn a lot of money. Here, anyone can put the work in and get at least A levels free and anyone who doesn't doesn't deserve more than 2 pounds an hour.
Reply 172
Original post by Drapetomanic
You have to be a complete moron to completely ignore the role of the environment i.e. socioeconomics when you think about why some people are wealthy.

No
Original post by NGC773
>More debt
>****tier public services
>Worse NHS
>Higher taxes
>Less liberty
>More laws
>More regulation
>More immigrants
>Lower sentence times for criminals

1. Yes, more debt. More debt under the Tories, too.
2. Public services are better. Education is of better standards, as are the police.
3. NHS had the highest approval ratings in its history under Labour.
4. Labour had the lowest corporation tax in history, and temporarily cut VAT to 15%. Tories put it up to 20%.
5. More laws? They're politicians. They make laws. Tories do that too :lol:
6. More regulation, yes. Even more was needed to prevent the banking crisis.
7. More immigration under Labour, yes, as a member of the EU. Are the Tories planning on leaving the EU?
8. Rehabilitation is important.

All in all, I would advise you to stop reading the Daily Mail, and start thinking for yourself. You just went on right-wing-tabloid stereotypes and slanders rather than using any actual evidence to back up your points.
Reply 174
Original post by Maccees
I was talking about how the OP seems to think everyone should believe the same things he does, how arrogant he is behaving etc.

Your comment makes no sense though, example of what? I was making a comment :s

The OP isn't ignorant, you are.
Reply 175
Becuase people see all the cuts and things that the coalition is making, and think the opposition will do better.

If Labour were in power now they'd be making pretty much the same decisions in terms of how people like those decisions, and everyone would be voting against Labour.

People need to stop voting for Labour, Conservative or Lib Dem. They've had the majority for so long and everytime people haven't liked the decisions they've made.

What normal company would re-elect the same CEOs/etc when they make mistakes? The gap between elections is just long enough for people to forget the previous election. Instead it hsould be whoever is the most qualified to run the various parts of the country gets in, just like in a job, typically the most qualified gets the job.
Original post by NGC773
Please tell me where it is in their manifesto that they were going to leave the NHS alone....

You've misquoted me as stating this promise was within the tory manifesto; the majority of voters would base their opinions on what is actually said by party leaders during popular televised debates, interviews and news etc - rather than the nitty gritty details of such a huge piece of reading that a manifesto entails.

Like I said; here we have the Conservative leader claiming to increase NHS budgets in real terms year on year.

http://youtu.be/rk5HvJmy_yg?t=1h11m13s

However, in reality we have the government aiming to save £20 billion from the NHS budget by 2015. Let's forget the issues of privatisation for now and just focus on this gross misleading statement of significantly increasing spending (to be in line with inflation of 3.5% we would see increases of roughly £4 billion each year) to gain power and once in government; seeking to embark on the fastest, deepest and inefficient cuts ever known just to fulfill a political ideology straight out of the bullingdon boys club. It works out that what Mr Cameron pledged in spending increases is roughly what he has now cut in the NHS budget.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16304079

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/oct/17/nhs-cuts-impact-on-patients-revealed
Reply 177
Original post by Otkem
I shall never forgive the Labour party for what they put my family through during 2009-10. I am interested though in seeing what motivates people to vote for such a damaging party. They damaged the economy, they damaged family values, they damaged people's trust in their government. They damaged everything you can imagine basically. What motivates you to want another Labour Govt? My opinion of Labour voters is that they are extremely selfish and do not care about the good of the long-term economy, as long as they get their handouts courtesy of the taxpayer. Now of course this isn't representative of all Labour voters, but I am at a loss as to explain why they won so many local council seats, and am quite frankly damn worried.

Wow, what a brainwashed puppet you are. Mind you, I don't blame you (no wait I do - get a brain!), it's endemic in our society.

People vote Labour because they serve their own economic interests. No, not to scrounge (like your Tory puppet-masters told you), but to ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO GET A JOB.

Conservative policies do not "create jobs" - again bs from the masters - they transfer all the wealth to the aristocracy (I believe today they are known as the major corporations).

And then they brainwash the public with insufferable rhetoric:

- Good is bad
- Sponging off the people is noble
- The people sponging off you back is bad
- They create jobs

The banking and finance industries are controlled by a small amount of people.

In truth, conservativism and capitalism are incompattible. Conservatism doesn't want free-markets - it wants the elite/aristocracy/corporations (whatever you want to call them) to have a MONOPOLY OVER ALL OF US. INCLUDING small businesses. Tories don't champion small business! They champion their rich pals and anyone who is not in that bracket and votes for them are absolute morons. Liberalism and capitalism are compattible, as liberals believe in merit as the way to achieve financial gain.

It is only communists who believe in equality of results, and when you look at the regimes that actually practice communism, they are RIGHT-WING, let me repeat that: RIGHT-WING as hell.

So calling all liberals communists DOESNT WASH anymore.

Intellectuals are tired of the rhetoric and brainless sheep like you. I don't care what you think "Gordon Brown did to your family." GROW A BRAIN.
Original post by escape
If I were to vote on a purely self interested basis I would probably have to be a Conservative, because my family are comfortably middle class and by association it would benefit me to support them.
In the elections last year, I voted Lib Dem - a party I joined because I believed, as a prospective student that they would be the best for my interests -

But you did vote for your own interests? (See, can tell you're a Labour supporter already.....).

Original post by escape
and I was wrong.

Don't worry mate, you arent the only lefty to be, it's just you can admit it.

Original post by escape
I'm motivated to vote for Labour because I have a social conscience,

Paedophiles and rapists are part of society, do you love them too?

Original post by escape
and I think that they way that the Tories are pillaging front line services to give tax breaks to the super rich is one of the cruellest acts of punishment of the poor, for the crime of being poor, imaginable.

1) Since when were they cutting front line services TO give tax breaks to the super rich? They are cutting front line services to cut the £trillion debt the party you vote for, created.

2) Ok so you being a leftie, I have to give you an economics lesson. Who creates wealth? Answer: the rich. What happens when you tax the rich (who own five homes)? Answer: they move and locate permanently in one of their other four homes. What does this mean? Answer: Britain loses a rich person and the entrepreneurship they brought along.

I have a better answer, besides physically/mentally disabled people, why don't all those "poor" people (who ironically still manage to own iphone 4s, sky digital, ps3s and widescreen tvs) actually achieve something in life and stop blaming and relying on others?

As Labour becomes more popular (Great) Britain slowly gets destroyed....
Original post by Clare~Bear
The recession wasnt something the Tories couldnt have stopped although it is possible we'd be slightly less worse off.

The question should be, what motivates working and lower middle class people to vote tory? When the Tories get in they always make life better for the rich and worse for the rest of us.

Problem is your definition of "rich" is probably anyone earning over £20k.

Latest

Trending

Trending