The Student Room Group

TSR opinion poll, Feb 2024: how would you vote in the general election?

Poll

How would you vote in the UK general election?

The UK is having a general election later in 2024, and TSR is asking how you'd vote!

It's now February 2024. As we build up to the 2024 general election on TSR, we're going to have all sorts of content across the site. Here we're asking: how would you vote in a general election? Leaving aside whether you're eligible to vote, old enough, a British/qualifying citizen, etc., assuming you had a vote, who would you cast it for?

You can get involved in discussing the build-up to the general election in the build-up thread, as well as asking anything you wanted to know about politics in the Ask Us Anything (AUA) thread! Don't forget to check out the UK and world politics and News and current affairs forums as well for all the latest discussions about politics!

Scroll to see replies

Hype :woo: I'm currently in the 'don't know' camp, as I don't strongly support any party and so it will depend on what manifesto promises are put forward nearer the time!
Lib Dem or green or labour or spoilt ballot/wouldn’t vote.

Would be interesting if labour won the general election and the reform party or Lib Dem’s became the opposition (I’ve seen lots of people say vote reform).
I live in a safe Labour seat, so while I'd like Labour to win the election, I've got no incentive to vote tactically.

Currently tbh I'm not feeling enthused by any of the candidates I've seen :redface:

I feel like I could well be keeping up my streak of voting Lib Dem in every general election at this rate :lol:
I really wish that there was a "none of the above" option on the ballot. I don't even feel like voting Lib Dem any more as a protest as they're now becoming a NIMBY party.
Reply 5
My own politics align more with the Lib Dems but will likely vote Labour in the next general election. Not that it matters as Labour will win my seat with little competition.
Original post by Smack
I really wish that there was a "none of the above" option on the ballot. I don't even feel like voting Lib Dem any more as a protest as they're now becoming a NIMBY party.
You can simply spoil your ballot if you feel that way - and there's fun to be had in doing so!
Original post by CatusStarbright
You can simply spoil your ballot if you feel that way - and there's fun to be had in doing so!
Yes, but selecting none of the above clearly indicates that you think none of the candidates are worth voting for. A spoilt ballot can also indicate you accidentally filled out the ballot incorrectly.
Original post by Smack
Yes, but selecting none of the above clearly indicates that you think none of the candidates are worth voting for. A spoilt ballot can also indicate you accidentally filled out the ballot incorrectly.
What grinds my gears most is that spoilt ballots are bafflingly not included in turnout figures!
Original post by CatusStarbright
What grinds my gears most is that spoilt ballots are bafflingly not included in turnout figures!

To be fair, the number of spoilt ballots is typically negligible compared to the number of counted ballots, so it will barely affect the turnout numbers.
Reply 10
Labour will ruin this country, we need the Tories as stupid as that sounds.
reform better
I'm in the process of moving to a new constituency so I will need to look into how marginal it is and whether a tactical vote would benefit or not.

I would tactically vote Labour to get the Tories out, but if it is a safe seat then my vote will go to the best local candidate / the one whom I feel would best service my new local community.

If I feel none of them offer this then I will be spoiling my ballot as I have done in the past.
Original post by Smack
To be fair, the number of spoilt ballots is typically negligible compared to the number of counted ballots, so it will barely affect the turnout numbers.
I do still think they should be counted as obviously those people did turn out to cast a ballot!
im in one of the most marginal constituencies in the country so im leaning towards voting Labour but id rather spoil my ballot or a 3rd party depending on the manifestos when they are released
unfortunately I am not particularly impressed by any of the candidates so its an awkward one. I am a big Green Party supporter, as much as I would LOVE for them to be in power, they simply just havent quite got the momentum so would probably go with either tactical voting for Labour or spoiling my ballot - young people have the worst voting turnout so Id still like to turn up and vote even if it is to just spoil my vote
Don't know.

I'll never vote for a Labour candidate.
But can't stomach voting for the Conservatives or Lib Dems again.
There's too much risk in England that voting for Reform or an independent will risk allowing a Labour led coalition/minority government by the back door.
its pretty guaranteed according to the polls that starmer will get a majority comparable to tony blair or exceed him.
FPTP system will always mean I will NEVER vote.
I'll probably spoil my ballot.

Labour don't stand for anything, the Tories are even worse and there's no substance to Reform's policies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending