The Student Room Group

If guns were legal, would you own one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oldercon1953
That B.S. about a gun owner most likely to shoot himself instead of an intruder is not true. No statistics indicate it.

Even if it is true, it's not relevant. I would prefer to have responsibility for taking care of my own life in my own hands as opposed to relying on others, if I do something stupid and get myself killed, I accept that I am to blame, if someone were to stab me or beat me and put me in hospital then I have every right to feel aggrieved.
No, I wouldn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In a way, the UK has somewhat comparable carry laws to some states in the US. Nobody would even bat an eyelid if you went up to the Lake District and saw some old farmer walking down the road to some fields with a shotgun over his arm. There's open carry for you.
I'm American, but I don't own a gun. So I already know the answer is no.

I used to live with my Dad, and he would tend to open up this huge safe and grab a gun whenever he heard a loud noise. It made me feel like we were in some kind of Mafia movie. Never mind that by the time he opened it someone could have already gotten in and shot people. I didn't like it, really.

Generally, I've spent most of my life living near a police station with good response time. So I've never actually thought about defending myself. I can understand why people in more rural areas would need a gun, though. The police are too spread out and far away in the countryside. Not to mention the risk of attack by wild animals.

I would feel uncomfortable with unarmed police like the UK has, though. People here are not so polite. The police need guns to deal with our criminals.

I'm ambivalent about gun control laws. On one hand, I'd certainly like the guns taken out of the bad neighborhoods around here so that people could walk through them more safely. On the other, I think about ex-police and former military carrying guns, perhaps feeling naked without them and generally having good will towards the public at large. I also worry about how much I can trust the government these days, given how oppressive they've become in just the past eight years under Obama.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jeremy1988
I'm American, but I don't own a gun. So I already know the answer is no.

I used to live with my Dad, and he would tend to open up this huge safe and grab a gun whenever he heard a loud noise. It made me feel like we were in some kind of Mafia movie. Never mind that by the time he opened it someone could have already gotten in and shot people. I didn't like it, really.

Generally, I've spent most of my life living near a police station with good response time. So I've never actually thought about defending myself. I can understand why people in more rural areas would need a gun, though. The police are too spread out and far away in the countryside. Not to mention the risk of attack by wild animals.

I would feel uncomfortable with unarmed police like the UK has, though. People here are not so polite. The police need guns to deal with our criminals.

I'm ambivalent about gun control laws. On one hand, I'd certainly like the guns taken out of the bad neighborhoods around here so that people could walk through them more safely. On the other, I think about ex-police and former military carrying guns, perhaps feeling naked without them and generally having good will towards the public at large. I also worry about how much I can trust the government these days, given how oppressive they've become in just the past eight years under Obama.

I think the cons outweigh the pros if you're living near a police station or in a city, but I live out in the countryside and the average response time here is around 20 minutes. Also, police don't carry weapons or bulletproof vests. "Hey stop there young man, or I shall poke you with this small pencil!"
Yes
Yes, I would wanna own one for my own safety. Why not? They're legal anyway, if some wet don mugs me at gunpoint then it's an eye for an eye my g.
Yes, I would and I'd carry it everywhere. The world is a dangerous place and I don't want to be the one bringing anything other than a gun to a gunfight
If I had the money I would, but purely because from a sport point of view I'm damn good with a rifle and find it fun. I'd keep it locked securely in a safe though, and wouldn't even think of it as a self defence weapon.

If I were to get something to defend my house with then something like this would be much higher on the list:

http://www.gizmag.com/salt-handgun-non-lethal-defense/40104/
Original post by Dheorl
If I had the money I would, but purely because from a sport point of view I'm damn good with a rifle and find it fun. I'd keep it locked securely in a safe though, and wouldn't even think of it as a self defence weapon.

If I were to get something to defend my house with then something like this would be much higher on the list:

http://www.gizmag.com/salt-handgun-non-lethal-defense/40104/

Shame you can't get pistols for target shooting. I got quite good with them when I lived abroad. But you're right - it's an expensive sport here. The gun itself is often just a fraction of the cost involved, from the cabinet, to club membership fees, the months of club gun hire while on your probationary period etc..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending