The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Original post by superwolf
One thing to remember with that example is herd instinct. People individually might not all think something so ignorant and stupid, but put them in a room together and nobody wants to be the odd one out. I used to regularly be the only one in the class who'd own up to thinking a particular and more controversial viewpoint (individualist right from the start :cool:). But yeah, we'd be a hell of a lot better off if it was the taboo thing not to be understanding about mental illness.

That's true - I think a lot of them probably didn't want to be seen as going against the flow, and as the two of us who went against the rest of the class were self-harming at the time, I think a lot of them probably thought that people would assume they were too.

The taboo makes it really difficult though. I don't know how to tell people, or whether I should, and while part of that is to do with my own issues I have, a lot of it is the taboo.

Telling my parents is going to be horrible and difficult and I don't want to do it.
Original post by d123
Telling my parents is going to be horrible and difficult and I don't want to do it.

I guess it depends...on your relationship with them and their attitudes...

I don't think you have to say anything...
Reply 1262
Original post by Dee Leigh
I guess it depends...on your relationship with them and their attitudes...

I don't think you have to say anything...

We have a really good relationship and they wouldn't judge me or anything. They're understanding and I know they'd be supportive.

I just don't want to hurt them.
Reply 1263
Original post by d123
I'm doing alright, I think. I have a cold and a headache so right now I feel lousy but I think that's more because of being physically not 100%. Emotionally, I'm better than I have been for the last couple of days. So not great, but coping, which is something I suppose. How are you? Apart from being sent home. That must be difficult, I really hope I don't get sent home - going back by choice next week, but only for a few days then I'm coming back to uni.

Yeah I also have just developed a nasty cough and cold, not fun at all and just adding to my **** mood. Managed to go out and buy some jeans today which is a bit of an achievement because I have been putting it off for literally weeks now so that's alright I suppose.

Not actually been sent home 1. because I went voluntarily because I was worrying my friends which made me feel bad and the doctor recommended me going away for a bit and also I was getting rather bad and slipping further and further by spending every day alone and 2. I have not actually gone home because spending time with my family (where quite a lot of my problems arise - a load of triggers there) would be unbearable right now so am at my aunty and uncle's helping look after my baby cousin.

Hope your cold gets better soon, glad you're coping :hugs:
Original post by d123
We have a really good relationship and they wouldn't judge me or anything. They're understanding and I know they'd be supportive.

I just don't want to hurt them.

You wouldn't be worried about hurting them if you were telling them you had a physical illness, this isn't particularly different, just more stigmatised.

Support is important, if you have a good relationship with your family that's a very good thing and you shouldn't not let them have a chance to help you.
Posted in here looking for some advice, but don't think anyone noticed. I was diagnosed with depression about two weeks ago now, started some tablets, and you'd think I'd be as happy as Larry (whoever he is, lol) now. I've finally got a job after three years of trying - everyone else is made up about this apart from me (I'm putting it on).

I left 6th form bout 4 years ago now, and it's fair to say I had my problems in my last year there. There was a boy who tried to kiss me and touched me when I didn't want him too, and in the middle of my last year, I was adamant that I was qutting, I just didn't wanna be there any more. Both things were sorted by the same teacher - she knew something was up and helped when I had the problem with the lad, and when I was adamant that I was quitting - she was the one again who convinced me not to. Thanks to her - I actually left with some decent grades, rather than none at all.

I still email her occasionally to let her know how I'm getting on in life, which has to say the least been pretty damn crappy.

When I was in 6th form, and after when I was unemployed it was great being able to get advice from her when I had problems. Now I've got this job its like - that's it - no need to email her anymore, I'm sorted - I think this is one of the things that's getting to me big time - knowing that once I'm in this job that's one person I see (she might not, but I do), as having a positive impact on me. If I'm doing ok, what reason is there for her to both with me y'know?

It's weird that it's actually lead to this - I was pretty shy in 6th form didn't really speak to anyone - but felt ok chatting to the teacher am on about. I've just got so much to thank her for.

I just don't know what to do to help myself. I never was one for getting drunk out of my skull - but finding it kind of helpful right now. Finding that it helps me forget what is happening in my life right now.

I just want some way of sorting all this - to be happy again - without making myself come across as a complete tool. But I can't think what to do.

I'm probably just sounding like a complete idiot now and don't make no sense, - but really would appreciate any advice or suggestions right now. I sure need it, as I can just feel myself sinking lower and lower and lower with no-one to turn to for help.
Original post by d123
That's true - I think a lot of them probably didn't want to be seen as going against the flow, and as the two of us who went against the rest of the class were self-harming at the time, I think a lot of them probably thought that people would assume they were too.

The taboo makes it really difficult though. I don't know how to tell people, or whether I should, and while part of that is to do with my own issues I have, a lot of it is the taboo.

I'm a bit of a weirdo in that while I'm often pretty quiet and shy I can also be totally unafraid to speak my mind, and one thing I try to do whenever possible is completely ignore harmful taboos about stuff like mental health issues. Unless if it could put me in a really uncomfortable situation or at a real disadvantage I try not to hide stuff like that I'm mentally ill and have been in hospital - it's taken me a few years to get to the stage where I feel able to do this, but I think it helps both me not to feel ashamed about stuff which isn't my fault, and also contributes in a small way to the cause of breaking down these taboos.

I'm not saying you should go round telling people stuff before you're ready to, but remember that these taboos are only really a barrier if you let them be. I think it's better to take each specific case individually, like should you tell this particular friend about your self-harming or not, considering the potential outcomes and consequences, rather than blanket thinking 'it's self-harm, I can't talk about it.'

Parents are difficult - people who really care about you are obviously going to be upset by that kind of news, but if you decide to do it then I really hope that they're understanding (remember to give them time to adjust to the news too before jumping to conclusions about if you should've done it or not as well). :hugs:
Reply 1267
Original post by superwolf
I'm a bit of a weirdo in that while I'm often pretty quiet and shy I can also be totally unafraid to speak my mind, and one thing I try to do whenever possible is completely ignore harmful taboos about stuff like mental health issues. Unless if it could put me in a really uncomfortable situation or at a real disadvantage I try not to hide stuff like that I'm mentally ill and have been in hospital - it's taken me a few years to get to the stage where I feel able to do this, but I think it helps both me not to feel ashamed about stuff which isn't my fault, and also contributes in a small way to the cause of breaking down these taboos.

I'm not saying you should go round telling people stuff before you're ready to, but remember that these taboos are only really a barrier if you let them be. I think it's better to take each specific case individually, like should you tell this particular friend about your self-harming or not, considering the potential outcomes and consequences, rather than blanket thinking 'it's self-harm, I can't talk about it.'

Parents are difficult - people who really care about you are obviously going to be upset by that kind of news, but if you decide to do it then I really hope that they're understanding (remember to give them time to adjust to the news too before jumping to conclusions about if you should've done it or not as well). :hugs:

That's helpful, thank you.

I'll try and do it when I go home. Better to talk about serious things face to face rather than over facebook, I guess!
so alone and consumed by emptiness :frown: was talking to someone on MSN now they go offline too, feel so pathetic that something like that can affect me so much.
Reply 1269
Original post by SciFiBoy
so alone and consumed by emptiness :frown: was talking to someone on MSN now they go offline too, feel so pathetic that something like that can affect me so much.

I sympathise, I just had to go upstairs and try not to cry because my aunty and uncle folding washing together seemed so happy just doing normal, inane things that I can never imagine being that happy with someone else right now. :hugs: hope you have a better day tomorrow.
For a start, antidepressants can take 6 weeks to kick in fully and you often have to increase the dose beyond the starting level (don't do this without speaking to your doctor).

Drinking can make you more depressed, especially when you're on medication. Some meds I've been on I've felt more depressed for days if drinking. You might find you feel better if you ease off or stop for a while.

If you'd like someone to talk about stuff with on a regular basis, bring it up with your doctor when you get your medication reviewed and they can probably refer you to someone to talk to on a regular basis about your issues (therapist/counsellor/community psych nurse).

Original post by Anonymous
Posted in here looking for some advice, but don't think anyone noticed. I was diagnosed with depression about two weeks ago now, started some tablets, and you'd think I'd be as happy as Larry (whoever he is, lol) now. I've finally got a job after three years of trying - everyone else is made up about this apart from me (I'm putting it on).

I left 6th form bout 4 years ago now, and it's fair to say I had my problems in my last year there. There was a boy who tried to kiss me and touched me when I didn't want him too, and in the middle of my last year, I was adamant that I was qutting, I just didn't wanna be there any more. Both things were sorted by the same teacher - she knew something was up and helped when I had the problem with the lad, and when I was adamant that I was quitting - she was the one again who convinced me not to. Thanks to her - I actually left with some decent grades, rather than none at all.

I still email her occasionally to let her know how I'm getting on in life, which has to say the least been pretty damn crappy.

When I was in 6th form, and after when I was unemployed it was great being able to get advice from her when I had problems. Now I've got this job its like - that's it - no need to email her anymore, I'm sorted - I think this is one of the things that's getting to me big time - knowing that once I'm in this job that's one person I see (she might not, but I do), as having a positive impact on me. If I'm doing ok, what reason is there for her to both with me y'know?

It's weird that it's actually lead to this - I was pretty shy in 6th form didn't really speak to anyone - but felt ok chatting to the teacher am on about. I've just got so much to thank her for.

I just don't know what to do to help myself. I never was one for getting drunk out of my skull - but finding it kind of helpful right now. Finding that it helps me forget what is happening in my life right now.

I just want some way of sorting all this - to be happy again - without making myself come across as a complete tool. But I can't think what to do.

I'm probably just sounding like a complete idiot now and don't make no sense, - but really would appreciate any advice or suggestions right now. I sure need it, as I can just feel myself sinking lower and lower and lower with no-one to turn to for help.
Original post by AmiB
I sympathise, I just had to go upstairs and try not to cry because my aunty and uncle folding washing together seemed so happy just doing normal, inane things that I can never imagine being that happy with someone else right now. :hugs: hope you have a better day tomorrow.

I even did cry earlier :frown: I feel so alone it hurts, I would do literally anything to have a good friend or a girlfriend who I could talk to and spend time with right now, which I know just sounds pathetic and people hate that, but it's true. :cry2: thanks, I hope you are good too!
Reply 1272
I even did cry earlier :frown: I feel so alone it hurts, I would do literally anything to have a good friend or a girlfriend who I could talk to and spend time with right now, which I know just sounds pathetic and people hate that, but it's true. :cry2: thanks, I hope you are good too!

Know what you mean about having a girlfriend (or boyfriend in my case!) to spend time with at the moment, I have a good base of friends and one guy who I am really close to (although he is going out with one of my other close friends) because he is going through a very similar thing, both been put on happy pills at relatively the same time and both on leave from uni at the moment and has been such a good support but they are all back in Sheffield at the moment and I am here. Also not the same as having a boyfriend which I long for a lot.

You can PM me if you want to chat about anything at all, might be nice to just offload to someone :hugs:
Reply 1273
Hi everyone :smile: . Had a good day today :woo: . Last night couldn't sleep for a while, but I was feeling good. I was shocked at how long it has been since Year 10 :eek: , which is the year I reckon was my best (actually Year 8-11 are all good for various reasons :tongue: ) . Anyway, today was good, and there was nothing that triggered me :smile:.

Tomorrow however is different. Some of the rooms in the house are going to be painted, including mine (actually only parts of them), and that requires me moving my desk. So I have to completely clear that, for it to be able to be moved. That is going to be very triggering, especially as my dad is going to want to decide what I should keep and what I shouldn't :mad: . Don't know what problem he has with me making my own decisions :confused:

Hope everyone else is good :hugs:
Reply 1274
Original post by AmiB
Know what you mean about having a girlfriend (or boyfriend in my case!) to spend time with at the moment, I have a good base of friends and one guy who I am really close to (although he is going out with one of my other close friends) because he is going through a very similar thing, both been put on happy pills at relatively the same time and both on leave from uni at the moment and has been such a good support but they are all back in Sheffield at the moment and I am here. Also not the same as having a boyfriend which I long for a lot.

You can PM me if you want to chat about anything at all, might be nice to just offload to someone :hugs:

I know the feeling :frown: I hate that every single night I go to bed by myself and wake up by myself. I have friends who, if I feel lonely during the day, I can text and chances are there'll be someone free to hang out, and I'm so lucky to have that. But right now, I just want someone to lie next to me and hold me. And I don't have that, and it's horrible.
Original post by d123
I know the feeling :frown: I hate that every single night I go to bed by myself and wake up by myself. I have friends who, if I feel lonely during the day, I can text and chances are there'll be someone free to hang out, and I'm so lucky to have that. But right now, I just want someone to lie next to me and hold me. And I don't have that, and it's horrible.

exactly, I just spend so much time on my own atm, the only people I ever really see are my family when they are around, and tbh whilst I get on okay with them it just isn't the same as being with friends yet alone having a girlfriend. I feel really lonely all the time at the moment as a result, don't have any friends here even to talk to and my Uni friends rarely reply to facebook messages too, other than TSR I don't have any kind of social interaction most of the time. I just really wish I had someone who I could talk to and spend time with and hug and be close too and stuff :frown:
Original post by Meaty_man
Like your status thing says, "down but not out" :smile: Is it life in general, or certain things u got coming up or things that have happened recently?

I don't know what I have, I'm assuming it's chronic sleep deprivation, 4-5 hours sleep at best since last year. I let it slip for a long time, then I tried to tackle it myself not wanting to resort to sleeping pills etc, everything is a huge struggle mentally though - I just can't think, make decisions on the most basic things. My brain is now absolute mush. I didn't think it was possible to feel this mentally disabled yet feel 'normal' in other respects. I feel like I'm here but I'm not. I just can't do anything. I've been a doctor at a walk in clinic; waste of time. Got an appointment with my GP tomorrow; at best maybe I'll get sleeping pills? But, predictably (and I hate predictable), what will the next chapter be like? They bring on something worse? I'm just feeling real sorry for myself lol...I was finally beginning to find myself, and I like to think of myself as a decent person, taking enjoyment from thinking ahead of how to make the world a better place...but now I am in the worst place of my life and being (once again, predictably) taking advantage by thick, not as nice as they think they are people. One quote sticks in my mind "Darren, I don't get enough sleep but I have to keep on going" Ffs I know what not getting enough sleep is like...almost everyone has that...sleepy in the afternoon etc...feeling sleepy but you CAN do plenty of stuff...not pure exhaustion and feeling like death, being a mental zombie.
(edited 11 years ago)
lol banned from posting
Reply 1278
exactly, I just spend so much time on my own atm, the only people I ever really see are my family when they are around, and tbh whilst I get on okay with them it just isn't the same as being with friends yet alone having a girlfriend. I feel really lonely all the time at the moment as a result, don't have any friends here even to talk to and my Uni friends rarely reply to facebook messages too, other than TSR I don't have any kind of social interaction most of the time. I just really wish I had someone who I could talk to and spend time with and hug and be close too and stuff :frown:

:hugs:

It's hard, and it's difficult to explain to people who don't understand. I'm gradually pushing away all the people who are around, and I don't think I'd make anyone a good girlfriend. I'm too insecure and I'm just not good enough for anyone, I know that. It's also very rare that I click with people, particularly in a romantic sense. I just don't want to be alone anymore. Even if it's not now, I want to know that one day I won't be alone. I look into my future and I can't see it being any different. If someone could tell me I won't end up alone, it would make being alone now slightly more bearable. If that makes sense.
Reply 1279
Original post by d123
:hugs:

It's hard, and it's difficult to explain to people who don't understand. I'm gradually pushing away all the people who are around, and I don't think I'd make anyone a good girlfriend. I'm too insecure and I'm just not good enough for anyone, I know that. It's also very rare that I click with people, particularly in a romantic sense. I just don't want to be alone anymore. Even if it's not now, I want to know that one day I won't be alone. I look into my future and I can't see it being any different. If someone could tell me I won't end up alone, it would make being alone now slightly more bearable. If that makes sense.

You won't be alone forever, there is always someone out there for everyone.

At the end of one my fave songs at the moment the lyrics go:

'The end is uncertain and I've never been so afraid, but I don't need a telescope to see that there's hope and that makes me feel brave' :hugs: :cry2:

Latest