The Student Room Group

IBS-D ruins my life

27th year of misery and loneliness. Hardly any social life. Nobody would like someone who has to constantly use the toilet and worry about every dish of food. CV has nothing appreciable because the IBS-D prevents me from getting jobs. Application for disability benefits fell through as well. Rely entirely on parents' savings for living.
That sounds really debilitating :frown: What have you tried to help with your symptoms?
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
That sounds really debilitating :frown: What have you tried to help with your symptoms?

Imodium is the only med keeping me functioning.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
27th year of misery and loneliness. Hardly any social life. Nobody would like someone who has to constantly use the toilet and worry about every dish of food. CV has nothing appreciable because the IBS-D prevents me from getting jobs. Application for disability benefits fell through as well. Rely entirely on parents' savings for living.
Have you been to your GP and had other conditions ruled out?

I have that and my symptoms were helped massively by a food-combining diet; check out the Harcombe Diet.
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
Have you been to your GP and had other conditions ruled out?
I have that and my symptoms were helped massively by a food-combining diet; check out the Harcombe Diet.

It was diagnosed in 2012 after endo + colonoscopy. Been waxing and waning over the years no matter how I tried my best to keep food bland, worse when under psychological stress. I will be visiting my GP to follow up on it next week.
Reply 5
It was diagnosed in 2012 after endo + colonoscopy. Been waxing and waning over the years no matter how I tried my best to keep food bland, worse when under psychological stress. I will be visiting my GP to follow up on it next week.
Haven't you posted all this before?

Food doesn't need to be bland and it won't help you overall if you are aren't eating well enough to get the nutrition you require. There's nothing to lose by trying food combining; I saw a huge improvement after just 10 days.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
Haven't you posted all this before?
Food doesn't need to be bland and it won't help you overall if you are aren't eating well enough to get the nutrition you require. There's nothing to lose by trying food combining; I saw a huge improvement after just 10 days.

I can't eat beef or dairy product due to allergy
Reply 7

due to intolerance*
Have you tried the FODMAP diet? Have you been referred to a dietician? It's not acceptable for you to live like this, you need to go to the Dr's and insist you get referred to get some help.
Reply 9
Original post by Jakson123
Have you tried the FODMAP diet? Have you been referred to a dietician? It's not acceptable for you to live like this, you need to go to the Dr's and insist you get referred to get some help.

Yes, I did. When I was living with my ableist dad years ago, he prevented me from doing it, using his Dunning-Kruger instinct to argue it would make me become an "[starving] Ethiopian boy". I wasn't able to try out any diet and lifestyle that might have helped. I am not sure if I simply missed the "golden age" that could have resolved it once and for all because of his behaviour.
Reply 10
Yes, I did. When I was living with my ableist dad years ago, he prevented me from doing it, using his Dunning-Kruger instinct to argue it would make me become an "[starving] Ethiopian boy". I wasn't able to try out any diet and lifestyle that might have helped. I am not sure if I simply missed the "golden age" that could have resolved it once and for all because of his behaviour.
No, you haven't missed anything. I was an adult when I started with IBS and found something to help.
Reply 11
I've got food intolerances, but it doesn't mean my meals are bland because of that and IBS; just the opposite. My recipes work round them both.
Original post by Surnia
I've got food intolerances, but it doesn't mean my meals are bland because of that and IBS; just the opposite. My recipes work round them both.

I see.
Original post by Anonymous

I would like to be more understanding and knowledgeable about IBSD. Have you gotten any meds for it? What does IBSD stomach pain feel like? If 1-10, and 10 is being burned alive, skinned alive, or labor, what is IBSD stomach pain like? My boyfriend has IBSD so I'm trying to understand and be supportive to him.

Quick Reply

Latest