The Student Room Group

How bad is it to take 30-50mg of codeine a day

I take cocodamol for my migraines/stomach cramps that I get basically every day. I just buy the over the counter ones that are 8mg/500mg and take two tablets two or three times a day (so 32-48mg of codeine a day). I know you're only meant to take it for three days but will it really have any negative impacts on my health if I stick to such a low dose?

I get bad headaches/stomachaches a lot and paracetamol or ibuprofen don't really work for it. I'm also at uni so I can't really have a lot of sick days where I don't get much work done. I've been to the doctors multiple times and their answer is just that some people get more aches and pains than others and I don't have any diagnosable condition, I'm just in pain a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Codeine is addictive. It also has the potential to make your headaches worse over time (i.e. can cause medication overuse headaches). Probably won't help with the stomach pains either since it can cause constipation.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
Codeine is addictive. It also has the potential to make your headaches worse over time (i.e. can cause medication overuse headaches)
I know it’s addictive but will it actually cause any health problems at such a low dose? I’d stop taking it if it made my headaches worse but I haven’t found that to be the case so far
Reply 3
Research addiction to painkillers
Reply 4
Original post by Kathy89
Research addiction to painkillers
A lot of problems from it are caused by people constantly increasing their dose which I'm not doing though
Original post by Anonymous #1
I know it’s addictive but will it actually cause any health problems at such a low dose? I’d stop taking it if it made my headaches worse but I haven’t found that to be the case so far
First of all, if you use it every day you may become further addicted and may experience cravings/desire to take more. Codeine is converted to morphine in the body, morphine can be fatal in high concentration. Over time, your body may become tolerant to the effects of codeine, requiring higher doses to achieve the same level of pain relief, which would further increase addiction.

Codeine can supress breathing which may reduce your overall fitness. Codeine can also cause constipation, nausea, and vomiting. Codeine is converted to morphine in the body, morphine can be fatal in high concentration. You could also face withdrawal symptoms as well which could be worse than the original pain.

This is not to say that codeine should not ever be used when it is needed, it is a good painkiller, when used appropriately.

Overall you should talk to a healthcare professional. They could help you find the root cause of the headaches, so you would not need to use codeine.

You can talk to someone from NHS 111 service. (Call 111 or text https://111.nhs.uk) They can assess your symptoms and provide advice on the best course of action.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #2
First of all, if you use it every day you may become further addicted and may experience cravings/desire to take more. Codeine is converted to morphine in the body, morphine can be fatal in high concentration. Over time, your body may become tolerant to the effects of codeine, requiring higher doses to achieve the same level of pain relief, which would further increase addiction.
Codeine can supress breathing which may reduce your overall fitness. Codeine can also cause constipation, nausea, and vomiting. Codeine is converted to morphine in the body, morphine can be fatal in high concentration. You could also face withdrawal symptoms as well which could be worse than the original pain.
This is not to say that codeine should not ever be used when it is needed, it is a good painkiller, when used appropriately.
Overall you should talk to a healthcare professional. They could help you find the root cause of the headaches, so you would not need to use codeine.
You can talk to someone from NHS 111 service. (Call 111 or text https://111.nhs.uk) They can assess your symptoms and provide advice on the best course of action.
I have been to doctors and their response is just that some people get more headaches than others and there is no cause for it
It is bad for you. Please stop immediately.

The back of a 8 mg/500 mg packet states:

If you take it continuously for more than three days you can become addicted.

If you are taking it for headaches for more than three days it can make them worse.

Reply 8
I take cocodamol for my migraines/stomach cramps that I get basically every day. I just buy the over the counter ones that are 8mg/500mg and take two tablets two or three times a day (so 32-48mg of codeine a day). I know you're only meant to take it for three days but will it really have any negative impacts on my health if I stick to such a low dose?
I get bad headaches/stomachaches a lot and paracetamol or ibuprofen don't really work for it. I'm also at uni so I can't really have a lot of sick days where I don't get much work done. I've been to the doctors multiple times and their answer is just that some people get more aches and pains than others and I don't have any diagnosable condition, I'm just in pain a lot.

codeine causes constipation and stomach pain most likely your stomach aches are due to that. Further OTC codeine is very weak your better off using the recommended aspirin dose or getting pharmacy medicines
Reply 9
Original post by macstep
codeine causes constipation and stomach pain most likely your stomach aches are due to that. Further OTC codeine is very weak your better off using the recommended aspirin dose or getting pharmacy medicines

Aspirin doesn’t work as well and they won’t prescribe me anything
You need to go back to your GP and discuss an ongoing treatment plan.
Original post by Admit-One
You need to go back to your GP and discuss an ongoing treatment plan.

I’ve been to my GP multiple times and their answer is just that some people get more aches and pains than others and I should just focus on a healthy lifestyle
If you're getting problems with stomach cramps could it be food intolerance? It's not normal to get stomach cramps all the time and it won't necessarily be helped by a healthy diet. Do you notice any pattern with the stomach cramps? Like they happen not long after eating certain meals?
As for the headaches are you drinking enough water and getting enough sleep? Could they be caused by stress?
Original post by Jakson123
If you're getting problems with stomach cramps could it be food intolerance? It's not normal to get stomach cramps all the time and it won't necessarily be helped by a healthy diet. Do you notice any pattern with the stomach cramps? Like they happen not long after eating certain meals?
As for the headaches are you drinking enough water and getting enough sleep? Could they be caused by stress?

I drink enough water and eat relatively healthily/don’t have any food intolerances but I get about 4-5 hours of sleep a night. It takes me around 4-8 hours of lying in a dark room doing nothing before I can fall asleep. I’ve also seen the doctor about that and he just made similar bs suggestions like read a book or drink tea as if I wouldn’t have tried that before coming to a doctor
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been to my GP multiple times and their answer is just that some people get more aches and pains than others and I should just focus on a healthy lifestyle

So you go back to them, explain what you've done with regards to your lifestyle, and that you are still struggling to manage your symptoms.
Going back to the original question.

"Even the use of lower-dose codeine medications over an extended period can cause dependence, problematic use, risk of slowed breathing, and death."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/substance-use/controlled-illegal-drugs/codeine.html

Edit: I'm also surprised that you are obtaining that volume without any questions arising from the pharmacy. There was a recent poster who was getting challenged about this, (and I think may even have been asking about how to get around it), but I am sure that this is quite unrelated.
(edited 1 month ago)
So you go back to them, explain what you've done with regards to your lifestyle, and that you are still struggling to manage your symptoms.

I have. I’ve stopped bothering now but I’ve been to multiple different doctors (because I moved in the years I’ve been going about this), said my lifestyle is perfect and I take nothing but paracetamol, had blood tests done, had an MRI (because I fainted from how bad the headache was once) and their answer is always just that I’m healthy and there’s no cause
Going back to the original question.
"Even the use of lower-dose codeine medications over an extended period can cause dependence, problematic use, risk of slowed breathing, and death."
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/substance-use/controlled-illegal-drugs/codeine.html
Edit: I'm also surprised that you are obtaining that volume without any questions arising from the pharmacy. There was a recent poster who was getting challenged about this, (and I think may even have been asking about how to get around it), but I am sure that this is quite unrelated.

That was me. I buy it from the two different pharmacies in my area, and now from 3 pharmacy websites and if I’m getting the train home from uni, I get off at every train station that has a pharmacy
I have. I’ve stopped bothering now but I’ve been to multiple different doctors (because I moved in the years I’ve been going about this), said my lifestyle is perfect and I take nothing but paracetamol, had blood tests done, had an MRI (because I fainted from how bad the headache was once) and their answer is always just that I’m healthy and there’s no cause

Dou you really have a healthy lifestyle or do you have disordered eating and a problem with alcohol?
Found the other thread that I'd remembered.

I really hope that our OP isn't the same, but there are some striking similairities.

Quick Reply

Latest