The Student Room Group

Momentum question (Urgent!)

I've done some calculations on a question, and found out that the average force exerted by a mallet on a peg is 460 N. I'm supposed to say why this is only an approximation. Is it just because the force doesn't stay constant? :confused:

Also, the next part says 'discuss whether a mallet with a rubber head of the same mass would be more or less effective for hammering in tent pegs' (than a wooden mallet). :dontknow:
Reply 1
I'm guessing the rubber/wooden questionw ould have something to do with elastic and inelastic collisions.
Hectristic
I'm guessing the rubber/wooden questionw ould have something to do with elastic and inelastic collisions.

We haven't done anything about that.. :dontknow:
Reply 3
dancing.barefoot
We haven't done anything about that.. :dontknow:

Basically in an inelastic collision there is a net loss of kinetic energy caused by the forces causing plastic deformation.

But in an elastic collision there is no net less of kinetic energy, energy is temporarily stored because of the elastic deformation and then is released kinetically as the two bodies separate.

In this case I would say it inelastically deforming and so the force will vary as the plastic deformation happening will cause the variation to the calculated force.

We started this before the summer holidays (probably all wrong after half learning it all through the holiday as well).

EDIT: Also on the rubber part it would be more effective than wooden as less/no energy is lost through the plastic deformation that would most likely occur with the wooden head causing an inelastic collision.
Reply 4
Even if the mass of the hammers was the same, the wooden one would be more dense and less elastic which means it would absorb less energy when it hits something and therefore exert more force on the object it hits.

p.s. I have no knowledge of physics beyond gcse , I felt obliged to answer you're question because we have the same avatar : )
I think what i said is along the right lines though.
dancing.barefoot
Also, the next part says 'discuss whether a mallet with a rubber head of the same mass would be more or less effective for hammering in tent pegs' (than a wooden mallet). :dontknow:

Google impulse.

Latest