The Student Room Group

A free electron is described by the wave function, .ψ (x)=Ae^i2pi/lamba x Using the

Does anyone know how I can answer this question?

A free electron is described by the wave function, (x)=Ae^i2pi/lamba x Using the linear momentum operator, p = -iħ d/dx, derive an expression for the momentum of the electron. Is your answer consistent with de Broglie's equation?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by constatinetwell

A free electron is described by the wave function, (x)=Ae^i2pi/psi x Using the linear momentum operator, p = -iħ d/dx, derive an expression for the momentum of the electron. Is your answer consistent with de Broglie's equation?

Can you post an image of the question, and if Ive understood the wave function correctly, what is hte problem with simply differentiating it
(edited 6 months ago)
yeah its just differentiating

IMG-4151.jpg
Reply 3
Original post by thegoldenkimpa
yeah its just differentiating

Its best just to give a hint and let the OP do as much as possible themselves.
Reply 4
Original post by constatinetwell

A free electron is described by the wave function, (x)=Ae^i2pi/psi x Using the linear momentum operator, p = -iħ d/dx, derive an expression for the momentum of the electron. Is your answer consistent with de Broglie's equation?

That symbol is lambda, not psi. And psi is the Greek letter used to denote the wave function
Original post by RichE
That symbol is lambda, not psi. And psi is the Greek letter used to denote the wave function

oh LOL my bad

Quick Reply

Latest