The Student Room Group

Isaac Physics 'Road Collision' Problem

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/r...6-977abf64c5eb

I first found the deceleration of the two cars when they move as one body until stationary, which was a= -6.867ms^-2 (negative as am considering it acceleration rather than deceleration as easier to remember). Next I found the initial velocity the two cars, moving as one body, were travelling at, which gave u (given variable letter v)=25.1ms^-2.

After this I tried to work back to find u1 (velocity 1500kg was travelling at prior to the collision), tried a few things, however nothing seemed to give the correct answer. I looked at Tip 1, where one of the linked concepts was resolving vectors, and I see how this could be done, but don't see the use in it?

Could someone explain the next step I must take, and how the use of resolving the two possible vectors could be useful?
Reply 1
Original post by domm1
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/r...6-977abf64c5eb

I first found the deceleration of the two cars when they move as one body until stationary, which was a= -6.867ms^-2 (negative as am considering it acceleration rather than deceleration as easier to remember). Next I found the initial velocity the two cars, moving as one body, were travelling at, which gave u (given variable letter v)=25.1ms^-2.

After this I tried to work back to find u1 (velocity 1500kg was travelling at prior to the collision), tried a few things, however nothing seemed to give the correct answer. I looked at Tip 1, where one of the linked concepts was resolving vectors, and I see how this could be done, but don't see the use in it?

Could someone explain the next step I must take, and how the use of resolving the two possible vectors could be useful?

Can you upload your working pls?
The url is
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/road_collision
Reply 2
No problem, but would be easier to read with bigger text and less empty space.
I'm done for this evening, but will look in the morning if not sorted.
Reply 3
Did you get it solved?
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Did you get it solved?

Nope:frown:
Reply 5
Can you upload / enter your working so it's easier to read?
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Can you upload / enter your working so it's easier to read?

mg = 39240 N
as N=mg, N = 39240 N also.
frictional force, f=uN (mu not initial velocity), so f=0.7 x 39240 =27468 N.

F=ma,
-f =4000a, so a=-6.867ms^-2

finding initial velocity for final part of question (the velocity that the cars both go off at together):
v=0
s=46
a=-6.867
u=u

v^2 = u^2 +2as, so u = 25.1 ms^-1.

This is the point at which I'm at, however I am not sure where to go from here.
Reply 7
You'll have to do a collision in two directions as they're at 15 degrees prior to the collision, then a deflection of 8 degrees.
Also momentum will be conserved in the collision.
(edited 3 years ago)
Initially I experienced a similar issue solving this problem, but the key to cracking it is to consider the components of the final momentum. You have the correct value for the velocity of the two vehicles after the collision so can easily work out its momentum by multiplying by 4000 (their total mass, modelling them as a single particle). Think about the direction it is moving in and hence split the momentum into horizontal and vertical components, considering conservation of momentum and the angle of collision to find the momentum of the cars before the collision and hence their velocities.
I hope this helps and makes sense! I may have explained this poorly as we haven't yet covered momentum in physics, so if you require any further clarification, let me know :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by elinaghai
Initially I experienced a similar issue solving this problem, but the key to cracking it is to consider the components of the final momentum. You have the correct value for the velocity of the two vehicles after the collision so can easily work out its momentum by multiplying by 4000 (their total mass, modelling them as a single particle). Think about the direction it is moving in and hence split the momentum into horizontal and vertical components, considering conservation of momentum and the angle of collision to find the momentum of the cars before the collision and hence their velocities.
I hope this helps and makes sense! I may have explained this poorly as we haven't yet covered momentum in physics, so if you require any further clarification, let me know :smile:

Thank you that was really helpful! I just went back to the question now and I've got the answer, I just needed that hint on momentum you gave me!:smile:
Original post by domm1
Thank you that was really helpful! I just went back to the question now and I've got the answer, I just needed that hint on momentum you gave me!:smile:

Sir what you got at the end

Quick Reply

Latest