The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Which unfortunately means it's not ending soon T_T
Reply 7981
LastLordofTime
Which unfortunately means it's not ending soon T_T

On that topic, was there an explanation for why Reborn! ended? I'm assuming it's due to its declining television ratings (which is typically why long running shounen of this kind reach their death bed).
Aiko
On that topic, was there an explanation for why Reborn! ended? I'm assuming it's due to its declining television ratings (which is typically why long running shounen of this kind reach their death bed).

The manga hasnt ended though right? I just started reading it :emo:
Reply 7983
Aeon Prince
The manga hasnt ended though right? I just started reading it :emo:

No, as far as I'm aware, the manga is still ongoing. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Aiko

I only read the manga, but I presume that to be the case. Or perhaps they couldn't make a plausible filler arc so decided to leave it for a bit? That's one thing Reborn does well - make the filler suit the canon arc.
Reply 7985
LastLordofTime
I only read the manga, but I presume that to be the case. Or perhaps they couldn't make a plausible filler arc so decided to leave it for a bit? That's one thing Reborn does well - make the filler suit the canon arc.

Hiatuses are fairly commonplace (One Piece has taken them in the past and is, suffice to say, certainly in no danger of declining ratings - quite the opposite). I'm completely out of the loop with Reborn! so I'm unsure what the exact reason was. However, I do keep tabs on the ratings and it has plummeted somewhat in the past few years.
(edited 13 years ago)
Aiko
Hiatuses are fairly commonplace (One Piece has taken them in the past and is, suffice to say, certainly in no danger of declining ratings - quite the opposite). I'm completely out of the loop with Reborn! so I'm unsure what the exact reason was. However, I do keep tabs on the ratings and it has plummeted somewhat in the past few years.

Perhaps it caters more towards a western audience, and as such doesn't attract such great home ratings? I obviously don't know much about the Japanese mindset though.

I mean, Reborn is probably the favourite between my friends IRL, although that could also be One Piece. I personally find it to be better than both Bleach and Naruto in terms of story construction.

But yeah, I didn't even know the Reborn anime had been cut until a little while ago. As long as the manga continues, I'm happy. It has a far more solid story than the wishy-washy tripe Kubo has been coming out with lately.
Reply 7987
LastLordofTime
Perhaps it caters more towards a western audience, and as such doesn't attract such great home ratings? I obviously don't know much about the Japanese mindset though.

I mean, Reborn is probably the favourite between my friends IRL, although that could also be One Piece. I personally find it to be better than both Bleach and Naruto in terms of story construction.

But yeah, I didn't even know the Reborn anime had been cut until a little while ago. As long as the manga continues, I'm happy. It has a far more solid story than the wishy-washy tripe Kubo has been coming out with lately.

Arguably the same could said about One Piece (pirates are perceivably more western whereas ninja and death gods are securely interlinked with Japanese heritage) and given it's one of the most popular anime and manga series of all time, I don't believe this is the cause.

In terms of ratings, One Piece is always in the top 3, alongside long running anime intended for children. This is then followed by Dragon Ball Kai around 5 to 6 and Naruto Shippuden at 9. Bleach is not faring too well and is often amongst shorter series, which is not a good sign.
(edited 13 years ago)
Aiko
Arguably the same could said about One Piece (pirates are perceivably more western whereas ninja and death gods are securely interlinked with Japanese heritage) and given it's one of the most popular anime and manga series of all time, I don't believe this is the cause.

In terms of ratings, One Piece is always in the top 3, alongside long running anime intended for children. This is then followed by Dragon Ball Kai around 5 to 6 and Naruto Shippuden at 9. Bleach is not faring too well and is often amongst shorter series, which is not a good sign.

The reason One Piece may still be so popular though could be a similar one as to why Soap Operas are so popular in the UK. People have watched them for so long that they wont just drop them. This was one thing that had stopped me from dropping Naruto for a LONG while, until I succombed just over a year ago (completely dropped, including the manga - I had dropped the anime even earlier). The only reason I haven't dropped Bleach as well is because I still prefer the concept of it to Naruto, even if it's been pretty bad lately (I dropped the anime in January).

In other news, I just finished the last episode of Occult Academy - and what a disappointment this series has been! A fairly good idea but it was so... boring. The finale was boring, predictable and nonsensical all at the same time. From the outset there were three distinct possibilities for what Nostradamus's Key was, and the most obvious choice turned out to be the correct one. Overall I think I'm going to give it a 3/5 on my AP account...
Reply 7989
LastLordofTime
The reason One Piece may still be so popular though could be a similar one as to why Soap Operas are so popular in the UK. People have watched them for so long that they wont just drop them. This was one thing that had stopped me from dropping Naruto for a LONG while, until I succombed just over a year ago (completely dropped, including the manga - I had dropped the anime even earlier). The only reason I haven't dropped Bleach as well is because I still prefer the concept of it to Naruto, even if it's been pretty bad lately (I dropped the anime in January).

One Piece's success is not comparable to any other long running anime series. It has consistently reached the top 3 in Japanese television ratings and has remained there for over a decade (this is truly remarkable; no other long-running series has remotely reached the top five in their entire run, let alone for this length). The manga has similarly sold more volumes (over 190 million) than any other series in history. In every poll, One Piece remains a top favourite. To suggest that its popularity is simply a case of fan loyalty is grossly underestimating how influential the series has become. The only shounen series that can remotely compare, and even then is statistically inferior, would be Dragon Ball.
(edited 13 years ago)
I finished Eureka 7, it wasn't brilliant, but it was pretty alright :yep: Could have had a more clear ending I think, unless I'm just being dumb like always.
Aiko
One Piece's success is not comparable to any other long running anime series. It has consistently reached the top 3 in Japanese television ratings and has remained there for over a decade (this is truly remarkable; no other long-running series has remotely reached the top five in their entire run, let alone for this length). The manga has similarly sold more volumes (over 190 million) than any other series in history. In every poll, One Piece remains a top favourite. To suggest that its popularity is simply a case of fan loyalty is grossly underestimating how influential the series has become. The only shounen series that can remotely compare, and even then is statistically inferior, would be Dragon Ball.

Wow, that's something I've definitely never heard of occurring in Television before O_O It's truly amazing. Although that's with my knowledge of western Television (where my knowledge and future career path lie) so it could just be that Japanese viewers are vastly different to western ones. I mean, you rarely see animation outside of the adult/comedy/satire genre on the "big 4" here in the UK (I'm talking about The BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky, and their spin-off channels, as I don't believe Channel 5 is worthy of the title 'cause I never see anything good on there).

I'm rambling and not making much sense of the point I'm trying to make... too tired XD
Reply 7992
LastLordofTime
Wow, that's something I've definitely never heard of occurring in Television before O_O It's truly amazing. Although that's with my knowledge of western Television (where my knowledge and future career path lie) so it could just be that Japanese viewers are vastly different to western ones. I mean, you rarely see animation outside of the adult/comedy/satire genre on the "big 4" here in the UK (I'm talking about The BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky, and their spin-off channels, as I don't believe Channel 5 is worthy of the title 'cause I never see anything good on there).

I'm rambling and not making much sense of the point I'm trying to make... too tired XD

Just to clarify, it's averagely within the top 3 of anime alone, discounting everything else shown on Japanese television. It normally receives in the regions of a 9 to 12% share of the viewing audience, although occasionally it can peak much higher (a quick search generated this article, which is relevant to this discussion). The highest television rating an anime series has ever achieved was with Touch, reaching an amazing 30+% of the viewing audience. Granted, this was back in the late 80s, but it's still incredible nevertheless.
(edited 13 years ago)
Aiko
Just to clarify, it's averagely within the top 3 of anime alone, discounting everything else shown on Japanese television. It normally receives in the regions of a 9 to 12% share of the viewing audience, although occasionally it can peak much higher (a quick search generated this article, which is relevant to this discussion). The highest television rating an anime series has ever achieved was with Touch, reaching an amazing 30+% of the viewing audience. Granted, this was back in the late 80s, but it's still incredible nevertheless.

I'm definitely not thinking properly tonight since my brain didn't even click on to the difference. Therefore I'm going to stop trying to make any sort of comparisons because my brain is all jumbled up.
Reply 7994
anyone feel like posting in this bleach vs naruto thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1432825 :erm:

EDIT: I broke my anime fast and watched Cencoroll :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
Out of curiosity, anyone seen GAINAX's new anime, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt? What do you think of it so far?

I can't actually watch anything other than the first half till I'm 18 which is in a couple weeks but the first part I found hilarious! I thought the artwork was too much like cartoons like Invader Zim for my liking but I actually loved it and found it hilarious xD What do you think?
Reply 7996
CrystalNeko
Out of curiosity, anyone seen GAINAX's new anime, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt? What do you think of it so far?

I can't actually watch anything other than the first half till I'm 18 which is in a couple weeks but the first part I found hilarious! I thought the artwork was too much like cartoons like Invader Zim for my liking but I actually loved it and found it hilarious xD What do you think?

Ive not seen it yet, but you are a good girl :emog:
CrystalNeko
...Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt...

I can't actually watch anything other than the first half till I'm 18 which is in a couple weeks...

Wait, what? :wtf: I know the content is pretty adult orientated, but since when did halves of episodes get age ratings? :hmmmm2:

Anyway, I've seen the first two eps now. :yes: Definitely the funniest series I've picked up so far this season, and as long as it doesn't get repetitive it should stay that way. Still waiting on Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru though, which could give it a run for it's money (SHAFT + maids + comedy = my kind of series). :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
vin
Ive not seen it yet, but you are a good girl :emog:

W-W-What why? O_o (Am I being stupidly ignorant here? xD; )

AngryJellyfish
Wait, what? :wtf: I know the content is pretty adult orientated, but since when did halves of episodes get age ratings? :hmmmm2:

Anyway, I've seen the first two eps now. :yes: Definitely the funniest series I've picked up so far this season, and as long as it doesn't get repetitive it should stay that way. Still waiting on Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru though, which could give it a run for it's money (SHAFT + maids + comedy = my kind of series). :biggrin:

YouTube - half the episode was free for anyone to watch and the rest were 18+. No idea why, that's just YouTube XD
I agree, it's hilarious at the moment but if -every- episode is similar to this for 26 episodes, I can imagine I'd tire of it quite quickly. Here's hoping some form of plot will follow!
Reply 7999
CrystalNeko
W-W-What why? O_o (Am I being stupidly ignorant here? xD; )

YouTube - half the episode was free for anyone to watch and the rest were 18+. No idea why, that's just YouTube XD
I agree, it's hilarious at the moment but if -every- episode is similar to this for 26 episodes, I can imagine I'd tire of it quite quickly. Here's hoping some form of plot will follow!

for not looking for a way to get round it :yep:

Latest