The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've watched the first episode of Texhnolyze recently, too, but I haven't been in the mood to dedicate much thought to what I'm watching lately, so it's on hold for a while. :o: I agree it was low on dialogue, but there's probably a bit that can be learnt from the first episode. Watching slowly might be preferred here. :p: (I did marathon Lain, though. :s-smilie:)
Reply 1381
vin
:yep:trying to pronounce that was fun :mmm:

Isn't it pronounced a little like technolise ...just more kh-ish :s-smilie:
Reply 1382
skipp
Isn't pronounced a little like technolise ...just more kh-ish :s-smilie:

I got it right then :cool:

Eventually Ill watch this series properly :yes:
Reply 1383
vin
I got it right then :cool:

Eventually Ill watch this series properly :yes:

I'm not sure myself :giggle: just guessing...and yes I'll have to start watching it...only found it the other day so it hasn't really processed, not even sure if I looked it up on A-P
Reply 1384
I liked Texhnolyze a lot. You can read my review here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15783865&postcount=486

It's worth noting that this review was for AJ's competition, where we had to 'sell' the series to him. The review is a lot less critical as a result. :giggle:
Reply 1385
Matisse
I liked Texhnolyze a lot. You can read my review here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15783865&postcount=486

It's worth noting that this review was for AJ's competition, where we had to 'sell' the series to him. The review is a lot less critical as a result. :giggle:

Definitely a good sales pitch...there's something about this series that's calling 'watch me' and that's got my hopes up even more :giggle:
Reply 1386
I have all of Text-no-lies but just haven't gotten round to watching it yet...new season....and being behind on last season
Corone
I have all of Text-no-lies but just haven't gotten round to watching it yet...new season....and being behind on last season

A wild Corone appears!

You're behind... our internet is so jacked up that I can't even download anime. :frown:

I've resorted to only watching Nyan-koi and downloading the episodes on campus.

On the other hand I finished 07 Ghost recently, and guess what? Studio DEEN strike again, there will most definitely be a 2nd season. If there isn't then I'd be severely tempted to buy the manga.
Reply 1388
New opening song for One Piece by Mari Yaguchi of Momusu fame. To avoid spoiling those who are following the series (and even for those who aren't), I've extracted the audio and uploaded it here:

http://www.box.net/shared/nmnpko828p

While it's a cute song, it's certainly not suitable for the upcoming arc. I wouldn't associate it with One Piece either, it's something I'd expect from a shoujo series. Oh well, the sequence that accompanied the song was rather nice, so I have no real complaints. Episode 426 itself was non-canon, but was co-written by Oda himself in promotion for the upcoming movie 'Strong World', which is due to be released this December. Was quite contrived, although it was nice to see the whole crew together again. :smile:
Reply 1389
people on facebook who dont watche one piece but are heavily into jpop and such things were going on about it last week :erm:

I have 406 eps to go :s:
Reply 1390
vin
people on facebook who dont watche one piece but are heavily into jpop and such things were going on about it last week :erm:

I'm not a big fan of j-pop (or pop in general), so I was quite disappointed when I heard this, even though the song is not that bad. It's quite catchy, if anything. It's just that the upcoming arc, having read the manga, is quite dark. :tongue: - I also liked the previous opening, even though it was quite boy-band'ish.

Consider this a good thing. :yes:
vin

If you have a glass of melon nectar, you need to savour it. :yes:
Reply 1392
Its somrthing Im going to take my time with, im not in a hurry to get up to date with it :smile:

:poke:mummy what does deculture mean in the context of macross :s:
I've managed to get through quite a bit of anime today. :smile:

I completed RahXephon but I'm not sure what I can say about this. I'm not a fan of the setting, since the outcome of the battles are almost always obvious, so the most important aspect of the show is how it explores various ideas within these battles; and on that, I can't say it did any particularly well. The twists were mostly predictable providing you could make a plausible guess from what you've been told. I couldn't connect with the characters, either. :s-smilie:

I also completed the anime adaptation of Night on the Galactic Railroad. Absolutely brilliant. I had a great deal of fun watching this with a friend. Even though a few segments had us beat for interpretation, it was very stimulating and satisfying. I can't overstate how the art enhanced the film, there are numerous scenes that are pure brilliance. I'll probably end up reviewing this. :smile:
Reply 1394
AsakuraMinamiFan
I've managed to get through quite a bit of anime today. :smile:

I completed RahXephon but I'm not sure what I can say about this. I'm not a fan of the setting, since the outcome of the battles are almost always obvious, so the most important aspect of the show is how it explores various ideas within these battles; and on that, I can't say it did any particularly well. The twists were mostly predictable providing you could make a plausible guess from what you've been told. I couldn't connect with the characters, either. :s-smilie:

I also completed the anime adaptation of Night on the Galactic Railroad. Absolutely brilliant. I had a great deal of fun watching this with a friend. Even though a few segments had us beat for interpretation, it was very stimulating and satisfying. I can't overstate how the art enhanced the film, there are numerous scenes that are pure brilliance. I'll probably end up reviewing this. :smile:

review kekko kamen please
Reply 1395
vin
Its somrthing Im going to take my time with, im not in a hurry to get up to date with it :smile:

:poke:mummy what does deculture mean in the context of macross :s:

Deculture is a zentradi word that doesnt seem to have any proper translation - tis used in a variety of contexts.....nearest I can figure is that it sort of means 'cool' :dontknow:

I'm not even going to comment on AMFs slander of RahXephon :laugh: I loved that series - the fangirling on my blog is enough :yep:
Reply 1396
AsakuraMinamiFan

I can only assume that you didn't comprehend or appreciate the substance and depth portrayed throughout this series, referencing to visual art, literature, music and culture, in addition to exploring the various themes of philosophy and Japanese folklore. This is excluding the production by Bones, which was nothing short of exceptional, in my opinion, even for today's standards. Putting that aside, I liked the premise, setting, character cast and the ensuing romance. Everything was carefully considered and distinguished itself from anything else I've seen (and I've seen a lot). This was reflected in the overwhelming success, both from television ratings and critics, which prompted the release of the movie. I guess everyone has their own preference. I'm beginning to decipher what you tend to favour. For example, I'd be very surprised if you end up liking Texhnolyze. :giggle:
Slander? :erm: I wasn't aware an opinion could be false.

Matisse
I can only assume that you didn't comprehend or appreciate the substance and depth portrayed throughout this series, referencing to visual art, literature, music and culture, in addition to exploring the various themes of philosophy and Japanese folklore. This is excluding the production by Bones, which was nothing short of exceptional, in my opinion, even for today's standards. Putting that aside, I liked the premise, setting, character cast and the ensuing romance. Everything was carefully considered and distinguished itself from anything else I've seen (and I've seen a lot). This was reflected in the overwhelming success, both from television ratings and critics, which prompted the release of the movie. I guess everyone has their own preference. I'm beginning to decipher what you tend to favour. For example, I'd be very surprised if you end up liking Texhnolyze. :giggle:

It may very well be a case of 'pearls before swine', even though I feel I have a good understanding of it. But since when was an understanding of references a necessary condition to judge if something is good or not? (Just like dialogue length, which is also not a necessary condition for something to have "depth".)

I appreciate that you've seen a lot of more than me and I acknowledge you're capable of passing better judgement. Especially given the overwhelming majority who favourably received it, I feel like the crackpot.
Reply 1398
AsakuraMinamiFan
Slander? :erm: I wasn't aware an opinion could be false.

I think Cara was only typing in jest. :giggle:

It may very well be a case of 'pearls before swine', even though I feel I have a good understanding of it. But since when was an understanding of references a necessary condition to judge if something is good or not? (Just like dialogue length, which is also not a necessary condition for something to have "depth".)

My above post wasn't to disprove your interpretation or response, but more of a way to validate why I personally liked the series. Having an understanding and/or recognition of the aforementioned references contributed to my enjoyment, but also gave, in my opinion, an added depth and insight that I find to be exempt in most anime. I'm also inclined to like series of this ilk, GITS and NGE come to mind. However, just because all of this contributed to 'my' enjoyment, wouldn't deter or make your opinion of the series any less relevant. In much the same way as I appreciated Touch, not because of its references, but due to its characterisation, which gave the series its 'depth'. I judge each series differently and accordingly. I suppose it's just a matter of taste. I'm generally receptive to most, in that regard.

I appreciate that you've seen a lot of more than me and I acknowledge you're capable of passing better judgement. Especially given the overwhelming majority who favourably received it, I feel like the crackpot.

Not at all, Touch is one such series that we both rate highly. I think it's just a matter of taste. You shouldn't feel like a crackpot or a 'delinquent' for having a contrary opinion. Also, I wasn't trying to outweigh your opinion by saying that I've seen a lot more, that's irrelevant. I only mentioned it to enforce my own opinion for liking the series, not to undermine your one. :smile:
Reply 1399
caraniel
Deculture is a zentradi word that doesnt seem to have any proper translation - tis used in a variety of contexts.....nearest I can figure is that it sort of means 'cool'

I'm not even going to comment on AMFs slander of RahXephon I loved that series - the fangirling on my blog is enough
oh:s: but when they were about to get killed by a explotion one of them just went Deculture!:confused:

mummy thats not slander :nah: now the stuff on 4chan :erm:

Latest