The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL OCR A2 Biology - F214 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
TheMikester69
Wow i feel for you on the F212, wouldn't want to go through all of that again.

Good luck with all the exams

I've got F212 too :frown: Way too much too learn but loving the DNA forgot how much I like genetics!

Anyway - what are the past papers to use for the F212 and F214?
nofishing
What past papers are good for this? Please quote in reply as I'll never find it otherwise!

http://pastpapers.org/central-concepts-biology-papers

I've found that this site is useful. It has the mark schemes too which makes life a whole lot easier. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 42
Yo guys, I've finished revising Photosynthesis, Respiration, Homeostasis and Nerves right now. Still got Glucose regulation, the liver and excretion stuff left. I too have the F212 resit and currently finishing off the Health and Disease part. I don't want to memorise all the genetics stuff again :frown: I have the paper we did last year but I don't have the mark scheme for it, does anyone have it? Thanks.

Good luck everyone with revision. Pretty sure this exam's going to be really tough :smile:
Dodi1991
Yo guys, I've finished revising Photosynthesis, Respiration, Homeostasis and Nerves right now. Still got Glucose regulation, the liver and excretion stuff left. I too have the F212 resit and currently finishing off the Health and Disease part. I don't want to memorise all the genetics stuff again :frown: I have the paper we did last year but I don't have the mark scheme for it, does anyone have it? Thanks.

Good luck everyone with revision. Pretty sure this exam's going to be really tough :smile:

I was looking everywhere for last year June's f212 past paper, could you please upload the Question paper, and il find the answer paper :smile:
Reply 44
How can you find the answer paper if you can't find the question paper? I also don't have a scanner as I only have a paper copy from my teacher, apologies.
Reply 45
Hi guys hope your revision is going well . . .

i was wandering if anyone could help me understand something . . ?

In the OCR A2 Biology text book (the one in partnership with Heinemann)

The examintion questions for the end of the chapter on photosynthesis

Does anybody understand question 2 ? (pg 76)

thank you
Dodi1991
How can you find the answer paper if you can't find the question paper? I also don't have a scanner as I only have a paper copy from my teacher, apologies.

i knew id find you here!
Does anyone have the Exam Cafe CD that comes with the Heinemann book? I really need the answers to the exam questions at the end of each module! :confused:
hey ppl
i'm also doing OCR Bio F214 in Jan.
Im suprised at how much you have to learn for 3 topics esp Photosynthesis and Respiration
Reply 49
does anyone have any practise questions or past papers for f214? i cant find any
:frown:
Reply 50
Just wondering...Is the Heinemann book any good? Im currently using the biology 2 cambridge sciences one =)
What do we need to know about dialysis, or what do you think they will ask us about it?
Summerdays
What do we need to know about dialysis, or what do you think they will ask us about it?

I think mainly the advantages and disadvantages.

The patient can survive, but it normally means 2/3 trips to the hospital for 4/5 hour sessions on the machine. Disadvantages is its quite expensive to run and the patient ends up feeling unwell between treatment because of a build up of toxins in the body.
That's the thing, the Heinemann book can be terribly deceptive. It always tells you information in such a way that it seems to be implying that you need to know them.
Summerdays

Probably also the difference between the two, Hemodialysis (tube inserted into arm to shunt blood out, into a dialysis machine) and Peritoneal Dialysis (inserting tube into the peritoneal cavity, allowing diffusion of substances in and out).

Also, ad/disadvantages between these. Hemodialysis takes a long time, expensive machine, trips to hospital etc. Peritoneal dialysis takes a long time, but can be done at home whilst sleeping, so isn't really inconvenient etc.
Summerdays
That's the thing, the Heinemann book can be terribly deceptive. It always tells you information in such a way that it seems to be implying that you need to know them.

very true, but i like the fact that it gives too much information rather than not enough, it aids your revision in that you have to sift through all the stuff you dont need to know, just stick to the spec.
Though I would agree, especially all that stuff on limiting factors in photosynthesis with CO2, what the hells all that Dinosaur crap!
Nearly finished with respiration. Still need to make notes on limiting factors of photosynthesis (extremely boring) and kidney failure.

Argh the next few days are going to be hell as im also doing the hellish unit 2 biology resit and unit 2 chemistry resit. *sigh* lesson well learnt lol
Could we compile a summary for the Ultrafiltration and selective reabsorption of the kidneys? Also, does anyone know how much we need to know about the pregnancy test mechanism?
Summerdays
Could we compile a summary for the Ultrafiltration and selective reabsorption of the kidneys? Also, does anyone know how much we need to know about the pregnancy test mechanism?

We learnt the whole mechanism. Annnd, I'll type up my notes tomorrow.
Summerdays

Pfff just learn it! It's < a page and has a pattern of thinking which may be useful even if the precise context doesnt come up.

I havnt looked over biology yet so excuse errors... :s-smilie:

Ultrafiltration:
Blood arrives in glomerulus afferent arteriole, pressure in glomerulus is high due to the efferent arteriole being relatively thinner than the afferent. High pressure forces molecules with molecular mass <69,000 through basement membrane(mesh of glycoproteins and collagen fibres)... these molecules pass between podocyte arms into bowmans capsule. Process over.

Note: Podocytes and capillary endothelium dont dictate what passes through, only basement membrane does this. High blood perssure means greater pressure in glomerulus, so larger molecules can be forced through which wouldnt normally. Proteins in urine can imply hypertension.

I'm more hazy on selective reabsorption so more likely to include errors... someone else can do it! :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending