The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Slivers are evil, back when I was playing there was a guy with a literally unbeatable deck. Playing him was not fun at all :frown: That said I did manage to beat him once. He had a coat of arms in play and I played “Sabre Ants”. :evil:
Ouch lol. Sliver decks are pretty strong, but not unbeatable, though Hivestone (i found the name of the card, yay), makes it possible to have even stronger decks with them, and i like the idea of using that with saproling generation, for a swarm deck almost (though i haven't put the deck together or anything, haven't yet bought many of the new time spiral cards).
Though i guess if you are playing informally, and can get hold of a sliver queen, it would be a better way of generating creatures than saprolings, and you wouldn't need the hive stone...

Anyway, I am loving these time spiral timeshifted cards though, i can now play with a gaia's liege, and an avatar of woe (got both in the same pack of time spiral), which is fun lol, can't wait to put together a black deck, surprise people with the card.
King Leigh
Looks like I'm going to get back into the dark world of MTG this week :frown: One of the guys on my corridor used to play it, and we both said we fancied giving it a go, for old times sake, so are both getting our cards sent up from home. I'm strangely excited, how weird.

I've been doing some reading around the subject (as I like to do with any subject) and realised there's a whole world of CCGs and such out there I've never seen before. A few notable ones I thought looked interesting were the City of Heroes CCG and the Heroclix game - looks like a hybrid between CCG and more complex Warhammer style games.
Anyone play these, or any other less popular games?

I've played a fair number of them in my time (just to clarify, i'm not quite sure the difference between CCG's and TCG's. I always thought CCG was collectable sets, that there was no actual game for), things like the LOTR game (which the mechanics of were pretty good, but it was rather slow, and hard to get the cards for), and i've been looking out for Vampire: TES for a long time, but nowhere sells the things very annoyingly (and barely anyone plays).

That is the problem with anything less than the most popular games, especially in the UK, getting them, and finding people to play them is hard.
Reply 383
Eru Iluvatar
I've played a fair number of them in my time (just to clarify, i'm not quite sure the difference between CCG's and TCG's. I always thought CCG was collectable sets, that there was no actual game for), things like the LOTR game (which the mechanics of were pretty good, but it was rather slow, and hard to get the cards for), and i've been looking out for Vampire: TES for a long time, but nowhere sells the things very annoyingly (and barely anyone plays).

That is the problem with anything less than the most popular games, especially in the UK, getting them, and finding people to play them is hard.

I don't know the difference between CCG and TCG either so it's quite possible I've sued the wrong term in my previous post.

I can see what you mean about playing the lesser known games makes it harder to find people to play with, but then I only play MTG with a couple of good friends anyway so intend to force them to try out the new games with me.
Getting them I suppose I can solve by using the joyous internet, but I see your point. Perhaps I should stick with MTG for now.
King Leigh
I don't know the difference between CCG and TCG either so it's quite possible I've sued the wrong term in my previous post.

I can see what you mean about playing the lesser known games makes it harder to find people to play with, but then I only play MTG with a couple of good friends anyway so intend to force them to try out the new games with me.
Getting them I suppose I can solve by using the joyous internet, but I see your point. Perhaps I should stick with MTG for now.

Well i'm only going from a magazine i bought once, which turned out to be for collectable cards, rather than the likes of MTG, and they used the term CCG in there.

I've only just been able to start getting them on the net, but with no-one to play them with, its not really got a huge point to it. Thats why online games would be far better in theory, as there is an instant community to play with, though the lack of success with magic online (admittidly, its not been a failure as such, its just only a small fraction of offlline MTG gamers), means i'm not sure of the size of the market (and the fact tyou have to pay out to get 'digital cards' is rather bad, i think) and online only games of a similar bent, tend to be rather unbalanced, with one style of play or deck dominating against all others.
Reply 385
Eru Iluvatar

I've only just been able to start getting them on the net, but with no-one to play them with, its not really got a huge point to it. Thats why online games would be far better in theory, as there is an instant community to play with, though the lack of success with magic online (admittidly, its not been a failure as such, its just only a small fraction of offlline MTG gamers), means i'm not sure of the size of the market (and the fact tyou have to pay out to get 'digital cards' is rather bad, i think) and online only games of a similar bent, tend to be rather unbalanced, with one style of play or deck dominating against all others.

I guess online gaming, in theory, does make sense but it kinda detracts from the point. It's a bit like people saying "why play real football, just play this football computer game, there are way more people to play with", it isn't the football you know and love!
I remember there was talk of the MTG online game while I was into it all last time, but I'd stopped by the time the game came out. I did read something about it and heard about paying for electronic cards which I did think was rather silly.
I play these card games when I'm in the mood for one type of entertainment, and online games when I'm in another, even if I did get back into FTG (key most central to T and C), I very much doubt the internet side of it would grab me.
King Leigh
I guess online gaming, in theory, does make sense but it kinda detracts from the point. It's a bit like people saying "why play real football, just play this football computer game, there are way more people to play with", it isn't the football you know and love!
I remember there was talk of the MTG online game while I was into it all last time, but I'd stopped by the time the game came out. I did read something about it and heard about paying for electronic cards which I did think was rather silly.
I play these card games when I'm in the mood for one type of entertainment, and online games when I'm in another, even if I did get back into FTG (key most central to T and C), I very much doubt the internet side of it would grab me.

I guess, but the difference there is there is little real difference between online play and face to face play. you can't see your opponent, and you don't have the real cards, but thats about it (the latter is the reason i haven't wished to try it). The MTG online thing has been around for a bit now, i haven't been interested myself, there are a good number of players on it, but not a huge number apparantly, far less than play for real.
Reply 387
You're using too many TLAs :confused:
Juno
You're using too many TLAs :confused:

whats a TLA?
Reply 389
Eru Iluvatar
whats a TLA?

Three Letter Acronym. It means it confuses me
Juno
Three Letter Acronym. It means it confuses me

ah lol. I'll keep it to four letter ones in future. TTFN (YINO)
I Finally have my charbelcher deck,

4 Goblin Charbelcher
4 Infernal Tutor
4 Chrome Mox
4 Lotus Petal
4 Land Grant
4 Brainstorm
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Tinder Wall
4 Simian spirit guide
4 Duress
3 Chromatic Sphere
2 Night's Whisper
1 Plunge into Darkness

/land
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Breeding pool

Bwah, beat that
Reply 392
If you bring them to the Ox meet, you can play with mark!
Evil-Tuna
I Finally have my charbelcher deck,

4 Goblin Charbelcher
4 Infernal Tutor
4 Chrome Mox
4 Lotus Petal
4 Land Grant
4 Brainstorm
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Tinder Wall
4 Simian spirit guide
4 Duress
3 Chromatic Sphere
2 Night's Whisper
1 Plunge into Darkness

/land
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Breeding pool

Bwah, beat that
Banned card :wink:
Reply 394
Do you not need a mountain? :s-smilie:
Ancient Beast
Banned card :wink:

Err no, Legacy card list no banned chome mox
Okay, just wanted to ask does anyone know any good way of aquiring bulk cards? (besides e-bay). I've looked around, and there aren't any sites (shops or commercial sites), that actually sell them like that, and i wanted to know if there was some way of getting hold of them.
You could ask the shops if they have one of boxes with tons of cards in, and you pay like 10p for each. Or buy a booster box...

Me gots Akroma Angel of Fury in a booster a few days ago :biggrin:
Ancient Beast
You could ask the shops if they have one of boxes with tons of cards in, and you pay like 10p for each. Or buy a booster box...

Me gots Akroma Angel of Fury in a booster a few days ago :biggrin:

I know,but 10p a card is too much for getting bulk. i've found a couple of sites, i can get 300 commons for less than a fiver including delivery, and am resorting to ebay a little too.
Eru Iluvatar
I know,but 10p a card is too much for getting bulk. i've found a couple of sites, i can get 300 commons for less than a fiver including delivery, and am resorting to ebay a little too.
Any particular reason for not going for ebay?

Latest