The Student Room Group

law at manchester or nottingham

nottingham is better for law however i like the city of manchester more. would i be at a disadvantage if i firmed manchester? i want to join a magic circle firm after my degree and i know that nottingham is higher ranked on the target universities for magic circle firms so would it be better to pick nottingham. also i know that manchester has problems with accomodation but i think i'll be able to tackle that. any responses would be much appreciated!!
Reply 1
Original post by stacey12809
nottingham is better for law however i like the city of manchester more. would i be at a disadvantage if i firmed manchester? i want to join a magic circle firm after my degree and i know that nottingham is higher ranked on the target universities for magic circle firms so would it be better to pick nottingham. also i know that manchester has problems with accomodation but i think i'll be able to tackle that. any responses would be much appreciated!!
If you like Manchester more, go for Manchester.

Ultimately, the university you go to wouldn't really make a difference here, it's what you do during those years that will help you stand out to Magic Circle firms. There's no point in going to Nottingham just because it's targeted more, what matters is what you do as an individual. A university being ranked higher in this case should not sway your decision. Both of them are Russell Groups so it's unlikely Magic Circle firms will care much. Being a stand-out applicant in a university with lower rankings arguably would do more for you than to just come from a better ranked university and be competing with hundreds who are performing at the same level. Your undergraduate degree isn't just about going to the better school, it's about choosing somewhere you think you'll be the happiest throughout the next 3 years. In the event Magic Circle firms reject you, it would likely be because you haven't made good use of your time at university by taking advantage of opportunities such as networking, insight days and vacation schemes. If you're very worried about rankings then there's no reason you couldn't do a masters degree after at a better ranked university.

Go somewhere you know you'll be happier, because at the end of the day, if you're miserable, you'll lack the same determination. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by bibachu
If you like Manchester more, go for Manchester.
Ultimately, the university you go to wouldn't really make a difference here, it's what you do during those years that will help you stand out to Magic Circle firms. There's no point in going to Nottingham just because it's targeted more, what matters is what you do as an individual. A university being ranked higher in this case should not sway your decision. Both of them are Russell Groups so it's unlikely Magic Circle firms will care much. Being a stand-out applicant in a university with lower rankings arguably would do more for you than to just come from a better ranked university and be competing with hundreds who are performing at the same level. Your undergraduate degree isn't just about going to the better school, it's about choosing somewhere you think you'll be the happiest throughout the next 3 years. In the event Magic Circle firms reject you, it would likely be because you haven't made good use of your time at university by taking advantage of opportunities such as networking, insight days and vacation schemes. If you're very worried about rankings then there's no reason you couldn't do a masters degree after at a better ranked university.
Go somewhere you know you'll be happier, because at the end of the day, if you're miserable, you'll lack the same determination. Best of luck!
Thank you so much this has really helped with my decision!
Reply 3

Heyy im stuck in the same situation, which uni did you end up picking and why ?
Reply 4
Original post by Lawkiddd
Heyy im stuck in the same situation, which uni did you end up picking and why ?

still haven't picked yet😭 i'm leaning towards manchester but i'm still not sure. which one are you leaning towards?
Nottingham is no better than Manchester at all lol.

If you want to go Manchester, then firm them.

Also, Nottingham give out half as many firsts as Manchester I believe, something you might want to consider.
Reply 6
Original post by LawStudent456
Nottingham is no better than Manchester at all lol.
If you want to go Manchester, then firm them.
Also, Nottingham give out half as many firsts as Manchester I believe, something you might want to consider.

okayy thanks so much i think i might firm manchester then
Reply 7
still haven't picked yet😭 i'm leaning towards manchester but i'm still not sure. which one are you leaning towards?

I’m think of choosing manchester because I’m from there so there is a lot of benefit but I thinking I’m missing the chance to live in a new city if I don’t pick notts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending