The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

material breach
The fact you can list all the attractions in Durham in one post says alot about the University. I think Manchester city centre has something like 600 liscenced premises... obviously someone these are awful as I am sure some of the places in Durham are but there are just so many decent places to go to its stupid. The city centre isn't just good for drinking as there are loads of cheap cinemas (with full student discounts it can cost as much as £2 to go to the cinema), art galleries, muesums ect if the cultured arty thing floats your boat.

I am at the university of Manchester studying physics at the moment, and I would say the first year there has been simply awesome. The physics is of a good standard and if you want to go hardcore you can pick the courses to do that in your free option. The astronomy deptartment is excellent and Jodell bank is something every physics student should see. If you havent seen the photos, make an effort to look them out.

If you have any questions do not hestiate to ask me.

i just done a five minute search for the shops and bars that are there now, i was never old enough to go out in Durham when i lived there, but there hundreds and hundreds of pubs situated in and around Durham. Obviously more closely together in the city centre, i approximate there are around 50-60 bars and clubs there, which for the 4-5 years your there would probably be adequate. It's a more friendly area than manchester, culturaly unmatched in terms of past culture, with Durham Cathedral over looking the river wear, a great tourist attraction, it has a cinema, where the hell doesn't :biggrin: As i said in the pst before if you need any more nightlife then newcastle or sunderland would be bound to meet demands, newcastle in particular been the best place in britain for a night out at present.
Reply 21
The way I see it is Manchester is modern future looking university which has achieved so much, a lot of the worlds most ground breaking cancer research happens in Manchester and they reckon they will be able to have a cure for all cancers by the end of the decade (that dosn't mean to say they will be able to cure everybody with cancer).

As for the city centre yes indeed it does have 600 licenced premises in the city centre alone, on the main university road there is 1 bus every 19 seconds according to the latest official figures, this makes it the busiest bus road in the Europe if not the world.

If you're into music there is a famous band playing at least a few time a week and there several bands playing every night.
If you are really worried about missing out on the city nightlife if you come to durham just remember that newcastle is only £3 return on the train. Everything you could possibly want in terms of entertainment you will find there
durhamlad1
It's a more friendly area than manchester, culturaly unmatched in terms of past culture, with Durham Cathedral over looking the river wear, a great tourist attraction, it has a cinema, where the hell doesn't :biggrin: As i said in the pst before if you need any more nightlife then newcastle or sunderland would be bound to meet demands, newcastle in particular been the best place in britain for a night out at present.

How is it more friendly? Please stop being stupid. The point with cinemas wasnt that it had one but many and some of them even show arty house films as well... You aren't going to match manchester for choice of activities for students for the simple reason that Manchester is catering for around 80,000 students as a city compared to durhams 20,0000. (or is it less?)
Itchynscratchy
If you are really worried about missing out on the city nightlife if you come to durham just remember that newcastle is only £3 return on the train. Everything you could possibly want in terms of entertainment you will find there
How many people actually go?

Bear in mind the people that go to Durham are looking for a quieter nightlife. Otherwise they would of gone to somewhere like London or Birmingham or Newcastle or Bristol where there is more happening.
material breach
How is it more friendly? Please stop being stupid. The point with cinemas wasnt that it had one but many and some of them even show arty house films as well... You aren't going to match manchester for choice of activities for students for the simple reason that Manchester is catering for around 80,000 students as a city compared to durhams 20,0000. (or is it less?)

Durham is smaller than 20,000, I'm sure.
ChemistBoy
Durham is smaller than 20,000, I'm sure.
so it is, around 13,000
Reply 27
material breach
and you would know how? I suspect you are going on univ guide rankings and we all know how missleading they are....

Lol!I am admit i was basing it on uni tables.However my uncle was from Manchester and he kinda imply that manchester is actually better for eng and biz..I dun mean to say it is not well known but as compare to the 2 i feel that it is not as recognise.however they have merge now and things might be different...
material breach
How many people actually go?

Quite a few actually, i went tonight as it happens.

Bear in mind the people that go to Durham are looking for a quieter nightlife. Otherwise they would of gone to somewhere like London or Birmingham or Newcastle or Bristol where there is more happening.

It is absolutely not true to say that everyone at durham looks for a quiet nightlife. I personally know quite a few people who are quite the opposite.

Bear in mind also that Durham is a city mainly populated by students. Students make up most of the population here and so as a result there is quite a lot more student activities than people think.

Just because Durham is a very small city doesn't mean its dead, there are things to do here and there are many people her who enjoy the clubby scene. I accept that it can't compare to a big city but that is not to say that the nightlife here is completely non-existant. And, as i said earlier, newcastle is 5 mins away on the train.
Reply 29
Hi all, thanks again for all the replies......... :wink:

For the manchester guys (material breach...?) what is the oppurtunity to study in california like....is there many places? are there criteria for getting it? ...seems costly but worth it......

Cheers again.......
kieranom
Hi all, thanks again for all the replies......... :wink:

For the manchester guys (material breach...?) what is the oppurtunity to study in california like....is there many places? are there criteria for getting it? ...seems costly but worth it......

Cheers again.......
I am actually trying to go to California too. I do no know how many people go but I get the impression normally about 20 apply and as many as 10 get it. Its not actually run by the physics department but by the study abroad unit. I think its primmarily judged by the department and the study abroad unit on grades as to whether you can go however I suspect they also check up on attendance too. I got the impression if you had grades of 75% or above which requires abit of work you should get it. American Unis also want to be self sufficient so you have got to show you have access to funds to support yourself but I dont know too much about this bit yet. I personally think its an absolutely great opportunity. It is worth noting too you apply to the university of California which has several campuses. Now these are like seperate like Unis in themselves and its harder to get into some than others. Also I dont think you would want to go to some of the campuses as they seem to be in the middle of no where and arent actually as good for physics as manchester.

Also dont rule out a term in Toronto or Melbourne. These seem quite easy to get on as they are just judged on your A level results.

Any other questions?
^ feels Manchester has enough to offer more than anywhere else, yet feels a trip to California is a good idea :confused:
durhamlad1
^ feels Manchester has enough to offer more than anywhere else, yet feels a trip to California is a good idea :confused:
Where did I say it had more to offer than anywhere else? I think I was making actually the point that it has alot more than Durham.....

does Durham actually offer the chance to study abroad?
material breach

and to 'think you were making actually the point' doen't make a lot of sense maybe a course in english language would have been a more appropriate option for you :wink:

There are no if's or but's over which university is seen as the most prestigous and has the best repuatation. You mentioned in a previous post that somebody is been misguided if they think manchesters overall reputation isnt as good as Durhams, which you have to agree even though you will be of biased opinion that Durham is the university after Oxford and Cambridge. For a choice in lots of activities or a 'quiter night life' that would help focus to studying, the quieter night life would win hands down, if you want to get on with life imho.
durhamlad1
and to 'think you were making actually the point' doen't make a lot of sense maybe a course in english language would have been a more appropriate option for you :wink:

There are no if's or but's over which university is seen as the most prestigous and has the best repuatation. You mentioned in a previous post that somebody is been misguided if they think manchesters overall reputation isnt as good as Durhams, which you have to agree even though you will be of biased opinion that Durham is the university after Oxford and Cambridge. For a choice in lots of activities or a 'quiter night life' that would help focus to studying, the quieter night life would win hands down, if you want to get on with life imho.
See this website, you might learnt something. http://www.interdys.org/

Yep your missguided.
So if you had cancer, how would you feel if someone did the same using a cancer board. IQ? Do you have one?
durhamlad1
So if you had cancer, how would you feel if someone did the same using a cancer board. IQ? Do you have one?
Do cancer patients take the piss out of other cancer patients? I think not.:rolleyes:

The fact you know about dyslexia makes it even worse as I would expect you to spot an obvious dyslexic misstake as switching words around.
charming, and your not even at university yet...
friendly debate > flame wars :rolleyes:
Reply 39
Durhamlad: Although wrong, I don't think Durham is seen as the university after Oxbridge, I think it's seen as a good provincial university that has an Oxbridge like appeal but LSE, IC, Warwick etc would probably take the title as next to Oxbridge.

I'd make no mistake that both these universities are good for physics and receive great funding and a particular emphasis on physics. I don't think it'll hurt a research career getting an undergrad degree from either. A good position to be in.

Latest

Trending

Trending