The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Thanx very much that site is great!
Cool site, merci beaucoup! :smile:
Reply 3
no problem!

the essay structures one is amazing.....helped me no end in my AQA AS unit 2.

Also planning to use it for unit 5 on Tuesday - some of the introductory phrases can get you complexity/grammar marks straight away if u just learn them off by heart.

btw anyone doing unit 5 on tuesday? I'm answering on l'Etranger and Candide.....VERY worried!
klugy
no problem!

the essay structures one is amazing.....helped me no end in my AQA AS unit 2.

Also planning to use it for unit 5 on Tuesday - some of the introductory phrases can get you complexity/grammar marks straight away if u just learn them off by heart.

btw anyone doing unit 5 on tuesday? I'm answering on l'Etranger and Candide.....VERY worried!

Bonne chance! What do you think of 'L'Etranger' and 'Candide?' I'm planning to read both of those over the summer so I can put them on my personal statement, so I'm hoping they're quite simple and enjoyable to read...
Reply 5
kellywood_5
Bonne chance! What do you think of 'L'Etranger' and 'Candide?' I'm planning to read both of those over the summer so I can put them on my personal statement, so I'm hoping they're quite simple and enjoyable to read...

Read l'Etranger! It's a brilliant, very short novel - perhaps my favourite!

It's also very simple to read, since the narrator is a simple man.

Read Camus' preface to the novel - some of it is quite important...

"...On ne se tromperait donc pas beaucoup en lisant dans L' Étranger l'histoire d'un homme qui, sans aucune attitude héroïque, accepte de mourir pour la vérité..."

http://users.skynet.be/sisyphe/etranger.asp

I hope you enjoy it!

Aitch
Reply 6
kellywood_5

i really enjoyed Candide. Intellectually, the philosophy is intruiging, plenty for an essay, but as a story it is incredibly enjoyable and quite witty - i guarantee u wont find any more twists in such a short book.

enjoyed l'étranger not so much. the ideas it offers are without a doubt interesting, but as a story, i found parts tedious.

anyway the exam is tomorrow, and i have just learnt two pages of quotes! I hope i'm ready....i'm avoiding any first person questions if i can, and really praying for some deep philosophical questions rather than descriptive "what happened" questions.

"Merde" to everyone sitting AQA05 tomorrow!
Reply 7
klugy
i really enjoyed Candide. Intellectually, the philosophy is intruiging, plenty for an essay, but as a story it is incredibly enjoyable and quite witty - i guarantee u wont find any more twists in such a short book.

enjoyed l'étranger not so much. the ideas it offers are without a doubt interesting, but as a story, i found parts tedious.

anyway the exam is tomorrow, and i have just learnt two pages of quotes! I hope i'm ready....i'm avoiding any first person questions if i can, and really praying for some deep philosophical questions rather than descriptive "what happened" questions.

"Merde" to everyone sitting AQA05 tomorrow!

I expect you've got an edition of l'Etranger with Camus' preface to a later edition (after he felt that the character of Meursault had been misunderstood.)...

... but in case you haven't... there's a lot to quote here!

"J'ai résumé L' Étranger, il y a longtemps, par une phrase dont je reconnais qu'elle est très paradoxale : 'Dans notre société tout homme qui ne pleure pas à l'enterrement de sa mère risque d'être condamné à mort.' Je voulais dire seulement que le héros du livre est condamné parce qu'il ne joue pas le jeu. En ce sens, il est étranger à la société il vit, il erre, en marge, dans les faubourgs de la vie privée, solitaire, sensuelle. Et c'est pourquoi des lecteurs ont été tentés de le considérer comme une épave. Meursault ne joue pas le jeu. La réponse est simple : il refuse de mentir. Mentir ce n'est pas seulement dire ce qui n'est pas. C'est aussi, c'est surtout dire plus que ce qui est et, en ce qui concerne le cœur humain, dire plus qu'on ne sent. C'est ce que nous faisons tous, tous les jours, pour simplifier la vie. Meursault, contrairement aux apparences, ne veut pas simplifier la vie. Il dit ce qu'il est, il refuse de masquer ses sentiments et aussitôt la société se sent menacée. On lui demande par exemple de dire qu'il regrette son crime, selon la formule consacrée. Il répond qu'il éprouve à cet égard plus d'ennui que de regret véritable. Et cette nuance le condamne.

"Meursault pour moi n'est donc pas une épave, mais un homme pauvre et nu, amoureux du soleil qui ne laisse pas d'ombres. Loin qu'il soit privé de toute sensibilité, une passion profonde, parce que tenace, l'anime, la passion de l'absolu et de la vérité. Il s'agit d'une vérité encore négative, la vérité d'être et de sentir, mais sans laquelle nulle conquête sur soi et sur le monde ne sera jamais possible." "On ne se tromperait donc pas beaucoup en lisant dans L' Étranger l'histoire d'un homme qui, sans aucune attitude héroïque, accepte de mourir pour la vérité. Il m'est arrivé de dire aussi, et toujours paradoxalement, que j'avais essayé de figurer dans mon personnage le seul christ que nous méritions. On comprendra, après mes explications, que je l'aie dit sans aucune intention de blasphème et seulement avec l'affection un peu ironique qu'un artiste a le droit d'éprouver à l'égard des personnages de sa création."

I know it's a bit of a cheat for Camus to try to persuade the reader of what he should see in the character of Meursault, but you have to feel some sympathy for Camus, after Meursault was just seen as some kind of abruti.

Aitch
Reply 8
Aitch
I expect you've got an edition of l'Etranger with Camus' preface to a later edition (after he felt that the character of Meursault had been misunderstood.)...

Aitch

Hey yeah I've read that many times.....clears up alot of things. I have read the book and this resumé many times and I think I understand Meursault, and the ideas Camus tries to convey. But this doesn't detract from the fact that the book, in parts, is boring. This is only my opinion....I still think there is alot to be gained from this book!

Who else is doing AQA 5 tomorrow?
Aitch
Read l'Etranger! It's a brilliant, very short novel - perhaps my favourite!

It's also very simple to read, since the narrator is a simple man.

Read Camus' preface to the novel - some of it is quite important...

"...On ne se tromperait donc pas beaucoup en lisant dans L' Étranger l'histoire d'un homme qui, sans aucune attitude héroïque, accepte de mourir pour la vérité..."

http://users.skynet.be/sisyphe/etranger.asp

I hope you enjoy it!

Aitch

Thanks for the link, it sounds really interesting, and I actually understood most of it :smile:
Reply 10
hmm i've got the rest of the edexcel papers tomorrow. might have to check these sites out.
Reply 11
how is everyone revising for the reading and listening for tomorrow??

also, if u know u r going to be doing task based in wrting, wat needs to be revised??
Reply 12
by task based, do u mean the creative writing thingy with either a script or picture of inspiration or something? i think everybody has their own style, but to be honest i don't know where the marks come from for it. maybe on www.edexcel.org.uk there's a specification or past mark scheme.

Latest

Trending

Trending