The Student Room Group

French or English lit at A-level

Can someone who has done both French and English lit at A-level give some idea of which one to take because I am honestly stuck on which one to pick I am an 8-9 grade student in both subjects and I know I am definitely taking biology and chemistry for A-level as my other two options (I don't want to take 4 A-levels) and I am getting mixed responses from people who have taken just French or taken just English so preferably can someone who has done both suggest which is one is better to take at A-level alongside my other two options?
Reply 1
Heyy I’m in y13 and doing both English literature (OCR) and French (AQA), English literature is definitely easier. I can easily get a B even if I don’t revise for an exam I’d say it’s pretty straightforward. However, the only problem is coursework personally I hate coursework and find it so stressful, so the positive aspect of French is that it doesn’t have any coursework unlike English literature. If you need to know anything else you can ask me :smile:
Reply 2
No-one can make this choice for you - and 'easy' vs 'difficult' is personal to an individual's own abilities.

Ask to have a look at the material / books / syllabus etc for both subjects - does it cover what you thought it would?
Importantly for Eng Lit, what are the set texts - are they stuff you might enjoy? Be aware also that Eng Lit at A level involves far more than just 'reading' as with GCSE, you have to start getting to grips with critical theory etc.
Original post by abc-2006
Heyy I’m in y13 and doing both English literature (OCR) and French (AQA), English literature is definitely easier. I can easily get a B even if I don’t revise for an exam I’d say it’s pretty straightforward. However, the only problem is coursework personally I hate coursework and find it so stressful, so the positive aspect of French is that it doesn’t have any coursework unlike English literature. If you need to know anything else you can ask me :smile:

Thanks so much
Original post by sunnydelight009
Can someone who has done both French and English lit at A-level give some idea of which one to take because I am honestly stuck on which one to pick I am an 8-9 grade student in both subjects and I know I am definitely taking biology and chemistry for A-level as my other two options (I don't want to take 4 A-levels) and I am getting mixed responses from people who have taken just French or taken just English so preferably can someone who has done both suggest which is one is better to take at A-level alongside my other two options?

omg im a yr 13 and do bio chem and english lit a level too all AQA i cant say on french but personally i would say english lit is deffo my hardest subject as im aiming for A/A* with grade bounderies being quite high on certain papers as well as just in general maninting a high mark on each question which some may throw you off and lower your overall mark. tips if you do pick english lit is definalty make a quote bank of each theme and character and analyse before hand and just read around the book and other opinions of it to develop yours. but i gues if your like fluent in french it would be the better option but i know someone who got like a 9 as is severely struggling as they said it gets alot harder and is a big step up. depends on you take this with a grain of salt as i only experience english lit a level but can say its hell compared to bio and chem

Quick Reply

Latest