The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dee Leigh
Ok.

What about National Insurance?

Yes, raise the issue of NI at the same time. In a self-employed scenario, you'd usually need to obtain a Certificate of Small Earnings Exception in order not to pass class 2 NI. See here for more details: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/intro/class2.htm
Original post by Illusionary
Yes, raise the issue of NI at the same time. In a self-employed scenario, you'd usually need to obtain a Certificate of Small Earnings Exception in order not to pass class 2 NI. See here for more details: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/intro/class2.htm

Oh ok. In the previous tax year I registered as self-employed and declared my earnings. Also, I received a call from HMRC about the issue of NI. I explained my situation and they sent me a form declaring that I didn't need to pay NI.
Original post by Dee Leigh
Oh ok. In the previous tax year I registered as self-employed and declared my earnings. Also, I received a call from HMRC about the issue of NI. I explained my situation and they sent me a form declaring that I didn't need to pay NI.

Okay, if you mean that you had a call about your position for the year that you're asking about, it sounds like you probably have this covered :yep:
Reply 1983
Guys quick question. I sent my p45 into HMRC on the 27th of March asking them to check if I was entitled to a Tax Return and have yet to hear any response since. Is this normal or should I ring them up??
Original post by Jake2.0
Guys quick question. I sent my p45 into HMRC on the 27th of March asking them to check if I was entitled to a Tax Return and have yet to hear any response since. Is this normal or should I ring them up??

Not unusual, especially given that the new tax year recently started. A quick call to your tax office should let you get an update on the status without much difficulty.
Reply 1985
Thanks for replying Illusionary

How can I find out where my local tax office is?? And what should I say to them when I ring them up

Thanks
Original post by Jake2.0
Thanks for replying Illusionary

How can I find out where my local tax office is?? And what should I say to them when I ring them up

Thanks

Contact details here: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/contactus/view.page?record=hpkspulskxM

Just explain what you've sent to them and ask where it's up to?
Reply 1987
Alright thanks
Reply 1988
So I've started my first ever job and have apparently been put on the wrong tax code (OT) which means that I'm paying much more tax than I should be. I've rang HMRC trying to sort this out and each time it's made me want to cry in frustration, it's like trying to get into gringotts or something! I've lived at about 6 different addresses in the past five years and have explained this to the 'advisers' but all they say is they can't divulge any information. I've tried explaining to them that I don't know which address they have on record, and the only way to update my address is by confirming the one they have on record but obviously I don't know which that is! It's horrible!! I don't know how to sort it, anyone else had similar problems?
You should keep calling and dont cry.
Reply 1990
Original post by smutty
So I've started my first ever job and have apparently been put on the wrong tax code (OT) which means that I'm paying much more tax than I should be. I've rang HMRC trying to sort this out and each time it's made me want to cry in frustration, it's like trying to get into gringotts or something! I've lived at about 6 different addresses in the past five years and have explained this to the 'advisers' but all they say is they can't divulge any information. I've tried explaining to them that I don't know which address they have on record, and the only way to update my address is by confirming the one they have on record but obviously I don't know which that is! It's horrible!! I don't know how to sort it, anyone else had similar problems?

You do not need to confirm your address. I have changed my address with HMRC without confirming a previous one.

0.8s google search. 'hmrc change of address', second one down.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/change-of-circs.htm
Original post by smutty

Have you completed a form P46 for your new employer? If not, this would explain why you've been put on a OT tax code - you've not provided sufficient information to be treated as eligible for the standard £9,440 personal allowance. Complete a form P46 and hand this in to your employer and they should be able to update your tax code. Once that's done, you should then receive a refund of any overpaid income tax from the current tax year via the payroll system the next time that you're paid.

You can download a copy of form P46 here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46exemptonline.pdf
Reply 1992
Original post by Illusionary
Have you completed a form P46 for your new employer? If not, this would explain why you've been put on a OT tax code - you've not provided sufficient information to be treated as eligible for the standard £9,440 personal allowance. Complete a form P46 and hand this in to your employer and they should be able to update your tax code. Once that's done, you should then receive a refund of any overpaid income tax from the current tax year via the payroll system the next time that you're paid.

You can download a copy of form P46 here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46exemptonline.pdf

Thank you so much, is this still relevant though as I read somewhere that a 'starter checklist' had replaced the P46?
Original post by smutty
Thank you so much, is this still relevant though as I read somewhere that a 'starter checklist' had replaced the P46?

Ah, that's a very good point. Most large employers will now be using what's known as 'Real Time Information' for their PAYE reporting (from April 2013), which means that the P46 is no longer used by them. Still, speak to your employer about getting your tax code updated if you're struggling to make progress with HMRC - they should be able to help you.
Hi.

I'm on a gap year and currently working two jobs. I work at Waitrose and have been making £900 for the past few months, and have not been paying much tax all things considered. However, I got another job in a legal firm, and was taxed 20% of my first paycheck. Is their any point in trying to get everything combined into the personal allowance, since at this rate, it would look like I'd end up surpassing the personal allowance figure. However, I am going to university in the fall so I won't. Basically, I feel like I'd rather just get the 20% on the law job, since the pay is less, got paid 200 for 4 days and after tax had 160. Wouldn't getting them in one tax system just worsen the situation?

Apologies if this doesn't make much sense, however I don't seem to pay much tax on my Waitrose wage, yet I'm sure if both were combined it would increase rapidly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Bitches be crazy.

I'm paying tax now :frown: PAYE. (Didnt pay from dec to march)My gross pay is roughly £300 more than my net pay :frown:
I'm on the 944L tax code which is cool. My NI also went up, why is this? :angry:
It keeps increasing. I work in the nhs if that matters?
(edited 10 years ago)
if you are earning approx 900 gbp / month from one job that would be 11.8 k / year

given the standard personal allowance is 9440 you would only be paying tax on 11800- 9440 = 2360

20% of that (2360) is 472 gbp 472/12 = less than 40 gbp /month in income tax

as your earnings over the year from that job ( assuming you stay in it) would take you over the personally allowance a second job being taxed on a BR or 0t tax code is reasonable ... if you left the first jopb mid year you might be entitled to refund but would work itself out over thje rest of the year if you transferred the personally allowance ... this is what P45 and P46 are/ were for ( pre live filing )
Original post by zippyRN
if you are earning approx 900 gbp / month from one job that would be 11.8 k / year

given the standard personal allowance is 9440 you would only be paying tax on 11800- 9440 = 2360

20% of that (2360) is 472 gbp 472/12 = less than 40 gbp /month in income tax

as your earnings over the year from that job ( assuming you stay in it) would take you over the personally allowance a second job being taxed on a BR or 0t tax code is reasonable ... if you left the first jopb mid year you might be entitled to refund but would work itself out over thje rest of the year if you transferred the personally allowance ... this is what P45 and P46 are/ were for ( pre live filing )

I'm probably going to quit both jobs in July. Does this change anything? Would getting the second job put in the personal allowance be worth it?

EDIT: Apparently, I can provide the tax office with an estimate of what I'll earn between two jobs. If I were to estimate 7000 for Job 1 and 2500 for Job 2 would I then not pay any tax until I reach this point? (and I won't since I'm off to uni in Sept!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cutmeloose
I'm probably going to quit both jobs in July. Does this change anything? Would getting the second job put in the personal allowance be worth it?

EDIT: Apparently, I can provide the tax office with an estimate of what I'll earn between two jobs. If I were to estimate 7000 for Job 1 and 2500 for Job 2 would I then not pay any tax until I reach this point? (and I won't since I'm off to uni in Sept!

tax year runs April to April ... so splitting your personal allowance will have little imp-act - as you would still need to reclaim overpaid tax at the end of the tax year ( or possibly before burt run the risk of getting reamed if you then work again in the tax year)
Original post by This Honest
Bitches be crazy.

I'm paying tax now :frown: PAYE. (Didnt pay from dec to march)My gross pay is roughly £300 more than my net pay :frown:
I'm on the 944L tax code which is cool. My NI also went up, why is this? :angry:
It keeps increasing. I work in the nhs if that matters?

That's the standard tax code for 2013/14, so it doesn't look like anything's wrong there. If your income has stayed the same, I'd expect NI deductions to go down rather than up, as the thresholds increased slightly for the new tax year. What were you/are you having deducted and what gross income is that based on?

Latest

Trending

Trending