The Student Room Group

Has anyone had their student finance paid into their partners or parents bank?

Unfortunately in my teens I got myself a cifas, so now I’m using my boyfriend’s bank account.

Would i be able to get my student finance paid into my boyfriend or mums bank without any issues?

Has anyone had theirs paid into someone else’s bank?

Thank you in advance
I believe SFE will only pay maintenance loans into accounts with the recipient's name on it.
Original post by sharrosa98
Unfortunately in my teens I got myself a cifas, so now I’m using my boyfriend’s bank account.

Would i be able to get my student finance paid into my boyfriend or mums bank without any issues?

Thank you in advance

I don't think that is possible.
Reply 3

Thank you in advance

It's also my understanding is that the maintenance loan needs to go into an account with your name on it.

You and your boyfriend need to be aware that his sharing his account with you is likely to be a breach of the terms and conditions of the account. If the bank realise this is happening, it's entirely possible that they will close the account and register a Cifas marker against your boyfriend.

Thank you in advance

Yes I have a Cifas marker 2 years ago. I get my student loan into my parent bank no problem. The bank knows, the authority knows. In fact you can get one of your parent to open up an account in their name with a bank they don’t already have and give you control of it. You can get your student loan into it and use it whenever. Don’t worry we all make mistakes and take it easy. Just some extra info, non of my accounts have been closed down so far. I’ve had Cifas for 2 years. I have Revolut, monzo, Barclay , NatWest, American Express, algbra, my pocket and Paysend already. Non of them have been closed I have credit cards with limit over £11000. I can see on Cifas DSAR that Barclays is carrying out a check every month on Cifas website on my name for the past 12 months and they still haven’t decided to close my account. It’s up to the bank if they want to close down the account. If you had good history with them they prob won’t close your account down.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Hellomate99
Yes I have a Cifas marker 2 years ago. I get my student loan into my parent bank no problem. The bank knows, the authority knows. In fact you can get one of your parent to open up an account in their name with a bank they don’t already have and give you control of it. You can get your student loan into it and use it whenever. Don’t worry we all make mistakes and take it easy. Just some extra info, non of my accounts have been closed down so far. I’ve had Cifas for 2 years. I have Revolut, monzo, Barclay , NatWest, American Express, algbra, my pocket and Paysend already. Non of them have been closed I have credit cards with limit over £11000. I can see on Cifas DSAR that Barclays is carrying out a check every month on Cifas website on my name for the past 12 months and they still haven’t decided to close my account. It’s up to the bank if they want to close down the account. If you had good history with them they prob won’t close your account down.

Hey can I ask how you when about doing this? Did you tell them? I’ve just attached my partners bank details and I’m hoping for the best lol. Do I need to tell them?
Hey can I ask how you when about doing this? Did you tell them? I’ve just attached my partners bank details and I’m hoping for the best lol. Do I need to tell them?

The advice you are being given is irresponsible and would put your parents/boyfriends finances at risk. You've already been naive enough to get yourself talked into this sort of situation once.

No you don’t need to tell them. Just input whoever’s account details you want in there. Name don’t need to be matching and you don’t need to tell them. It’s my 2nd year getting payment to my mums bank.
Original post by StriderHort
The advice you are being given is irresponsible and would put your parents/boyfriends finances at risk. You've already been naive enough to get yourself talked into this sort of situation once.

it’s not irresponsible. I don’t see how it’s irresponsible the loan is being taken in your name whether you take it cash, your own bank or a parent bank. No one cares who’s bank it goes to as long as the person who’s name is in student finance receives that money. If your parents are claiming benefits, they’ll need to let them know that the money being paid from student finance is not theirs but their son/daughter and they can attach a letter from student finance website. That’s it. It’s my 2nd year getting paid and no one cares. even the bank knows, my parents know, HMRC knows, job centre knows. No one cares it’s my money being put into parent account for me to access.
My general guidance is not to consider financial advice from people who themselves have a CIFAS marker.

I know that seems blindingly obvious, but sometimes it needs spelling out.
"Even the bank knows, no one cares it’s my money being put into parent account for me to access."

No I'm pretty sure they care about inappropriate access being given to someone with a fraud record. Just because you haven't ran into trouble again yet doesn't mean your actions or advice are sensible.
Reply 11
Original post by Hellomate99
No you don’t need to tell them. Just input whoever’s account details you want in there. Name don’t need to be matching and you don’t need to tell them. It’s my 2nd year getting payment to my mums bank.
Hello is this still working for you ?
Just going to repeat myself here for no reason in particular.

Original post by Admit-One
My general guidance is not to consider financial advice from people who themselves have a CIFAS marker.

I know that seems blindingly obvious, but sometimes it needs spelling out.
Thank you in advance

Open a WISE account. They'll be able to pay your student finance into that - I was in the same situation as you and I used my WISE account to receive all of my student loan payments, on time without any issues. It's basically an online mobile banking app like Monzo. You will be able to get accepted with CIFAS. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending