The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

xSara.loux
Because I knew how much i was on an hour and how much I was earning. And everyone else i started with has had to change their code so they arent taxed but I was only there a few months.
I think I didnt receive them because I moved house and no longer live in the area.

It's probably still worth querying this with your employer. While they have a responsibility to provide you with payslips and a P45 where relevant, you equally have a duty to keep details of your pay, usually for at least two years.

Duplicates cannot be issued of a form P45, but it may be possible for your employer to confirm details of your pay and deductions in a letter. Otherwise, your best course of action is to call your tax office, as advised earlier in the thread. :smile:
Reply 261
It's the P60 you need - this is sent to you at the end of every tax year. P45 is what's given when you leave a job.
Titch89
It's the P60 you need - this is sent to you at the end of every tax year. P45 is what's given when you leave a job.

I think we can assume that they're no longer employed at this job (as they've left the area), in which case it is a P45 that's usually needed to claim a refund.
48 hours and no response.
Must have been a load of rubbish then.
hypocriticaljap
48 hours and no response.
Must have been a load of rubbish then.

Sorry people.

It was a copy and pasting error. The following is the correct copy!

If you're a student

If you're a student, you still pay tax on your income unless all of the following apply:

* you're a full time student in the UK, only working in the holidays
* you're returning to full time education after the holiday
* your total income for the year is below the Personal Allowance

Ask your employer for form P38S Student Employees - and tax won't be deducted from your earnings. National Insurance will still be deducted if you earn more than £110 a week.
sillygilly
Sorry people.

It was a copy and pasting error. The following is the correct copy!

If you're a student

If you're a student, you still pay tax on your income unless all of the following apply:

* you're a full time student in the UK, only working in the holidays
* you're returning to full time education after the holiday
* your total income for the year is below the Personal Allowance

Ask your employer for form P38S Student Employees - and tax won't be deducted from your earnings. National Insurance will still be deducted if you earn more than £110 a week.

Okay, this much is correct but is already clearly highlighted in my TSR wiki article. :smile:
Illusionary
Okay, this much is correct but is already clearly highlighted in my TSR wiki article. :smile:

Illusionary, RE: P38S.

In my gap year I worked in HR, and we were told not to process P38S, only P45/6

Just wondered if companies have to or not?
MulderMan

That fits with my experience when a major retailer who takes '£1 in every £5 spent'(!) told me they didn't do the P38 form when I worked for them for several years in my holidays.
MulderMan

This is a very good point, actually - the P38(S) procedure is voluntary on the part of employers. That's probably worth adding to my wiki article, so I'll try to remember to do so this evening. :smile:

Edit: done :yy:
Reply 269
hi, i have a casual contract but have recently been promoted.
some months i will earn £500+, and others < £100

so, annually i do not earn above the treshold for NI but on a monthly basis i have twice exceeded 1/12 of it.

should i be paying NI in the months i exceed to monthly threshold or should i get a rebate as i do not earn enough annually.

i have looked up the figures but do not have them to hand...i u need to no more about my situation please ask

all help appreciated...lee
Reply 270
The threshold is weekly.
Reply 271
NI is weekly. PAYE is annual. If you are earning over the threshold but don't pay, you'll end up with a deficit to pay off. Best way to get your answer is to call your local tax office, generally, they are extremely helpful.
Reply 272
thanks, guess ill have to go on paying the government my hard earned cash lol
You will pay 11% national insurance contributions if you earn more than £110 per week.
Reply 274
How do I do it? I'm not really very good with things like this, and have nobody I can ask really. I earn under the amount, meaning I shouldn't be paying tax (+ a full time student) I don't mind paying it, nice little saver. But how do I claim it back?
I don't have a P45 (or is it a p60? the thing that tells you how much tax you've earned) but I've got my Week 52 paychecks for the previous two years. Can I just send this off to somewhere and claim my tax back?

If anyone could help, I really appreciate it. Thank you.
Send a letter to your local tax office explaining that you think/know you have overpaid tax. Enclose all relevant documentation including payslips, p45s, etc. It'll take a few weeks then they'll send you a cheque. Find your tax office here:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp?type=1
Tw1x
How do I do it? I'm not really very good with things like this, and have nobody I can ask really. I earn under the amount, meaning I shouldn't be paying tax (+ a full time student) I don't mind paying it, nice little saver. But how do I claim it back?
I don't have a P45 (or is it a p60? the thing that tells you how much tax you've earned) but I've got my Week 52 paychecks for the previous two years. Can I just send this off to somewhere and claim my tax back?

If anyone could help, I really appreciate it. Thank you.

First, being a full time student has no effect on whether you should be paying Income Tax (or National Insurance). The important factor is your level of annual income - if this is below your tax-free 'personal allowance' (currently £6,475 for most people) then you shouldn't have to pay any Income Tax for the year.

If you have overpaid, then take a look at the guide linked to in my sig for full details of how to reclaim any overpaid Income Tax, but the basic procedure is to write to your tax office (contact details here) enclosing evidence of your income and requesting a refund. In certain circumstances there may be a form that you can use to do this, though if you'd claiming a refund for a tax year that has finished then a letter is usually best.

If you're employed at the end of the tax year (5 April each year) then you should receive a P60 from your employer by 31 May following the end of the year, which you can use as evidence to support a claim for a refund; if you leave befor the end of the year then you'd usually use a P45 to support the claim.

If you don't have either or these documents then give your tax office a call (contact details here) to discuss the situation and they should be able to advise you on what evidence they might accept.
Reply 277
Thankyou, that really helped.
Hi Im a 16 year old in school and i am now working coaching some tennis were i will be payed 32 pound a month. Just some questions will i have to pay tax and if so how much. I am a full time student in year 11.
You can earn £6,475 in the 2010/11 tax year before you have to pay tax. The tax year runs from 5 April 2010 to 4 April 2011.

Latest

Trending

Trending