The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cable-Man
Hi,

So.... In the tax year 2009/10 I worked for a few months but paid tax as if I was working for the whole year and will thus be owed tax.

Basically from 1st April 2009 to June 18th 2009 I was earning 20,500 pro rata and from June 18th 2009 to Aug 28th I was earning 24,000 pro rata.

That's all the work I did that tax year.... therefore how much tax am I owed?

I have a figure I calculated but just want to check it reconciles. Nb. I have the normal tax code...

Thanks

If you have the standard 'personal allowance', you can receive £6,475 of income during the 2009/10 tax year without having to pay any Income Tax. Above this, Income Tax at 20% is due on the next £37,400, then at 40% for any excess over this.

You first need to know your total gross income for the year. Given those dates, I make it 78 days at £20,500 p/a and 72 days at £24,000 p/a - a total of about £9,100. If this is your only income for the year, your Income Tax liability would be (£9,100-£6,4750)×20%=£525 (approximately). You can work out the refund due by subtracting this from the amount of Income Tax that you've paid. :smile:
Basically when I started my new job in November I realised they were charging me emergency tax, I phoned up HMRC and they said they could do nothing until I got my P60. So I got my P60 about two weeks ago and phoned up HMRC giving them my PAYE reference and they told me to get my employer to fill in a P46 form. I filled in the P46 form in work with a temporary manager who was really helpful, and expected my normal manager to send it off to head office or whoever it needed to go to, and in work today she said she hasn't sent it off because after April claiming tax back has got nothing to do with the company so they can't do anything about it. This can't be right can it?

It says on the HMRC website that I have until 2014 to claim the tax back. The woman on the phone said it may be paid back to me once they realise I shouldn't be paying tax but I've earned £800 in 6 months (Saturday job only) so surely this shows them I'm not gonna earn like £6000 a year!

I'm sure the P46 form said it was a 'Notice of New Employment' so surely my employer should have sent it to head office when I started? So she should still send the P46 off right?

I really have no idea what to do now. It's like my manager is making no attempt to help me get my tax back, like she's getting some sort of benefit from it. I'm getting a bit desperate now, they've taken about £200 off me, and it works out that my hourly rate is something like £3.60 with the tax and not £5.25.

Someone please give me some advice on what I should do, HMRC are being so un-helpfull :frown:

Thanks
P46 - Employee without a form P45
Purpose
If you are an employer, use form P46 if you take on a new employee who doesn't have a form P45 from a previous employer. Completing the form enables you to operate the correct tax code for the new employee

Just seen this on the website so this means they should send off a P46 regardless of whether its past April or not!
Kimberley*xo
:hello:

Your manager is correct that after the end of each tax year, you will need to reclaim any overpaid Income tax directly from HMRC rather than from your employer. Income Tax overpayments on employment income during the current tax year can be dealt with via the 'Pay As You Earn' (PAYE) system that's used to collect Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions from employees, but this doesn't extend to overpayments from previous tax years.

However, claiming back the overpayment shouldn't be hard. Given that you were employed at this job at the end of the tax year and have now received your form P60 for the 2009/20 tax year, you should write to your tax office enclosing a copy of your P60 and explaining that you'd like to claim a refund of the overpaid Income Tax. You can find contact details for your tax office here: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp?type=1

Now, you should also check what's happening in the new tax year (which started on 6 April 2010). Check the 'tax code' shown on your payslip. If this is "647L" (with no suffix, such as "M1" or "W1[noparse]")[/noparse] then most likely everything's dine. If it's not "647L" (most commonly it might be "BR" or "647L W1[noparse]")[/noparse] then you may still be taxed incorrectly in this new tax year. If you've completed a form P46 for your employer and this has had no effect then call your tax office again and explain this to them. They may be able to send a notice to your employer specifying the correct tax code to use. One this is in place, if you've overpaid any Income Tax on employment income since 6 April then you should receive a refund of this through the payroll system the next time that you're paid.
Illusionary
Your manager is correct that after the end of each tax year, you will need to reclaim any overpaid Income tax directly from HMRC rather than from your employer. Income Tax overpayments on employment income during the current tax year can be dealt with via the 'Pay As You Earn' (PAYE) system that's used to collect Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions from employees, but this doesn't extend to overpayments from previous tax years.

However, claiming back the overpayment shouldn't be hard. Given that you were employed at this job at the end of the tax year and have now received your form P60 for the 2009/20 tax year, you should write to your tax office enclosing a copy of your P60 and explaining that you'd like to claim a refund of the overpaid Income Tax. You can find contact details for your tax office here: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp?type=1

Now, you should also check what's happening in the new tax year (which started on 6 April 2010). Check the 'tax code' shown on your payslip. If this is "647L" (with no suffix, such as "M1" or "W1[noparse]")[/noparse] then most likely everything's dine. If it's not "647L" (most commonly it might be "BR" or "647L W1[noparse]")[/noparse] then you may still be taxed incorrectly in this new tax year. If you've completed a form P46 for your employer and this has had no effect then call your tax office again and explain this to them. They may be able to send a notice to your employer specifying the correct tax code to use. One this is in place, if you've overpaid any Income Tax on employment income since 6 April then you should receive a refund of this through the payroll system the next time that you're paid.

It seems like a nightmare trying to get it back at the moment :frown:
My tax code on my playslip was BR1 before April and now its BR0, in my old job last summer though it was 647L but they didnt tax me at all!
I completed a P46 last Saturday and my manager was supposed to send it off, but she told me today she hasnt! But its her duty to fill in the P46 even if it isnt the companys responsibility to claim the tax back because she should have done the P46 when I started in November!

So I've printed another one off so should I just take it to work, fill it in and send it off myself with my P60 to the tax office? And with a letter saying that I want to claim tax back?

My manager also said that the company I work for has a really bad reputation with the tax office (which is North East Metropolitan Area) but that shouldnt stop me being able to claim my tax back!

Thanks for the advice anyway x
Kimberley*xo
It seems like a nightmare trying to get it back at the moment :frown:
My tax code on my playslip was BR1 before April and now its BR0, in my old job last summer though it was 647L but they didnt tax me at all!
I completed a P46 last Saturday and my manager was supposed to send it off, but she told me today she hasnt! But its her duty to fill in the P46 even if it isnt the companys responsibility to claim the tax back because she should have done the P46 when I started in November!

So I've printed another one off so should I just take it to work, fill it in and send it off myself with my P60 to the tax office? And with a letter saying that I want to claim tax back?

My manager also said that the company I work for has a really bad reputation with the tax office (which is North East Metropolitan Area) but that shouldnt stop me being able to claim my tax back!

Thanks for the advice anyway x

A "BR" tax code means that you are treated as having a zero personal allowance, rather than the standard £6,475 - this will be why you have been taxed on your income when using this code. Without going into the full mechanics of PAYE, I'd expect you to pay no Income Tax with a code of "647L" given your current level of earnings, so the treatment during your previous job sounds fine.

It does sound like you're being badly treated by your employer with them not processing your P46 from November. If they had done so, I'd expect you to have been put onto the correct tax code (probably, though not definitely, "647L[noparse]")[/noparse]. If you have no confidence that they'll process the form if you complete a second once then I strongly recommend discussing this over the phone with your tax office, as they are there to help with this sort of thing.

However, the good news id that whatever the state of your employer's relationship with the tax authorities this shouldn't affect your ability to reclaim overpaid Income Tax from previous tax years. For this, the P46 isn't relevant. All that you'll need to send to your tax office is a copy of your P60 with a cover letter explaining that you'd like a refund. As a worst-case scenario, if you're unable to get your tax code corrected then the route of contacting your tax office directly for a refund will still be open to you for tax that you're suffering in the new tax year, though you'll have to wait until the end of the tax year or until you leave the job.

If you leave the job before the end of the tax year, the reclaim procedure is a bit different, as there's a form to complete (a P50: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf) and you should accompany this with Parts 2 and 3 of the P45 that you should receive from your employer when you leave them, rather than a P60.
Reply 386
I got my P60 and earned £8000 and paid £1000 in tax.
The thing is, I worked part-time while at 6th form last year (April 09 to July 09) and started working full time at the start of July 09 (so I was working two jobs in July until I quit the part time at the end of July).

On my P60, it hasn't added the money I earned at the part-time job (I didn't pay tax at the part-time job either, as I didn't earn much) but it was declared as it was a large supermarket I worked for and I got pay slips etc.

What do I do? Shall I send a letter with my P60 to the tax office and just ask for a refund and see what they give me or do I mention about my different jobs etc...?
Why would you get a refund?? You obviously never gave in or your work never sent off your P45 so the money never showed up, but you still earnt over £7000 so you wouldn't get anything??
p45 to your employer. you're on the right tax band i think
Reply 389
*Sparkle*
Why would you get a refund?? You obviously never gave in or your work never sent off your P45 so the money never showed up, but you still earnt over £7000 so you wouldn't get anything??

I've paid too much tax, whether they add my wages from the part-time job or not, so either way, I will get a refund, it's just either a £300ish refund or a £700 refund.

I handed in the slip from my part-time job which stated how much I earned to my new employer and my tax code changed from BR to 647L, so I'm not sure what happened...
Derade
I've paid too much tax, whether they add my wages from the part-time job or not, so either way, I will get a refund, it's just either a £300ish refund or a £700 refund.

I handed in the slip from my part-time job which stated how much I earned to my new employer and my tax code changed from BR to 647L, so I'm not sure what happened...

Ahhhh fair enough, I don't think it'll be that much though, I earn about £8k a year at my job and get taxed about the same, deffo go speak to HR though x
Derade

For the purposes of determining your total Income Tax liability for the year, you need to look at your total income across all sources combined. Having handed in your P45 to your new employer, this should mean that your cumulative income and associated tax deductions are carried across to your new employer's records, but this appears not to have happened correctly. Do you still have Part 1A of your P45 (which you're supposed to retain for your records when giving Parts 2 and 3 to your new employer)?

What I'd suggest doing is writing to your tax office (contact details here: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp?type=1) enclosing evidence of all of your income and tax deductions for the year. Ideally this evidence should be form(s) P60 and/or P45 from your employer(s), but if you don't have these then payslips may be suitable. If you're unsure then I'd suggest calling the tax office first to discuss what they'll need to process a refund.

I'm not clear from your post whether your total income for the year was £8,000, or whether this was just your income from one employer. Assuming that this was your total income, your total Income Tax liability for the year would be approximately (£8,000-£6,475)@20% = £305.
Illusionary
A "BR" tax code means that you are treated as having a zero personal allowance, rather than the standard £6,475 - this will be why you have been taxed on your income when using this code. Without going into the full mechanics of PAYE, I'd expect you to pay no Income Tax with a code of "647L" given your current level of earnings, so the treatment during your previous job sounds fine.

It does sound like you're being badly treated by your employer with them not processing your P46 from November. If they had done so, I'd expect you to have been put onto the correct tax code (probably, though not definitely, "647L[noparse]")[/noparse]. If you have no confidence that they'll process the form if you complete a second once then I strongly recommend discussing this over the phone with your tax office, as they are there to help with this sort of thing.

However, the good news id that whatever the state of your employer's relationship with the tax authorities this shouldn't affect your ability to reclaim overpaid Income Tax from previous tax years. For this, the P46 isn't relevant. All that you'll need to send to your tax office is a copy of your P60 with a cover letter explaining that you'd like a refund. As a worst-case scenario, if you're unable to get your tax code corrected then the route of contacting your tax office directly for a refund will still be open to you for tax that you're suffering in the new tax year, though you'll have to wait until the end of the tax year or until you leave the job.

If you leave the job before the end of the tax year, the reclaim procedure is a bit different, as there's a form to complete (a P50: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf) and you should accompany this with Parts 2 and 3 of the P45 that you should receive from your employer when you leave them, rather than a P60.

Cheers, I'll do that :smile:
Just needed some kind of guidance because I can't get it at work!
Reply 393
I read if u get payed under £110 a week then national insurance is not taken from ur salary and also if u earn below a certain amount per annum then u also wont pay taxes

so if i work for about 20hours a week and get paid £4.35, would my wages be taxed at all?
gogo8773
I read if u get payed under £110 a week then national insurance is not taken from ur salary and also if u earn below a certain amount per annum then u also wont pay taxes

so if i work for about 20hours a week and get paid £4.35, would my wages be taxed at all?

You're correct about not having to pay NIC if your weekly earnings from a job are below £110. As for income tax, you need to consider you total annual income from all sources to determine whether you should be paying Income Tax for the year. Generally, everyone in the UK can earn up to a certain amount (known as their 'personal allowance') without having to pay any Income Tax, and for the current tax year (running from 6 April 2010 to 5 April 2011) this allowance is £6,475 for most people. Running the numbers...

20 hours/week @ £4.35/hour = £87/week, equivalent to £4,524 p/a

As this is below the standard personal allowance then I wouldn't expect you to have any Income Tax or NI deductions if this is your only source of income. However, do check that your employer is using the correct 'tax code' to calculate your Income Tax deductions. This code will be shown on your payslips, and a code of "647L" (with no suffix) indicates the standard personal allowance. If it isn't this then it may be worth querying why with your emplloyer and/or your tax office.
Reply 395
Illusionary
You're correct about not having to pay NIC if your weekly earnings from a job are below £110. As for income tax, you need to consider you total annual income from all sources to determine whether you should be paying Income Tax for the year. Generally, everyone in the UK can earn up to a certain amount (known as their 'personal allowance') without having to pay any Income Tax, and for the current tax year (running from 6 April 2010 to 5 April 2011) this allowance is £6,475 for most people. Running the numbers...

20 hours/week @ £4.35/hour = £87/week, equivalent to £4,524 p/a

As this is below the standard personal allowance then I wouldn't expect you to have any Income Tax or NI deductions if this is your only source of income. However, do check that your employer is using the correct 'tax code' to calculate your Income Tax deductions. This code will be shown on your payslips, and a code of "647L" (with no suffix) indicates the standard personal allowance. If it isn't this then it may be worth querying why with your emplloyer and/or your tax office.

thanks alot for the clear up
Reply 396
can somoeone tell me the procedure for this and what I need to do?

I lost my job around Christmas time and began signing on a few months ago.
A while ago i sent my P45 to the HRMC to get a tax rebate, but they sent it back to me with a letter saying they 'couldn't pay me the refund as I had recently began claiming JSA' It then say that 'i may wish to review the tax position after April 5th'.

I am still on JSA. Am i supposed to just send it all away again now, considering April 5th has now passed??

Also, the jobcentre sent me a statement this morning with various tax information on it : - 'A certificate of taxable pay and benefit'
Is this something to do with it?? Do i need to send it all away together again??

Someone else told me that it should have all been done automatically for me a few weeks ago if you are still claiming???

cheers.
daytrader
can somoeone tell me the procedure for this and what I need to do?

I lost my job around Christmas time and began signing on a few months ago.
A while ago i sent my P45 to the HRMC to get a tax rebate, but they sent it back to me with a letter saying they 'couldn't pay me the refund as I had recently began claiming JSA' It then say that 'i may wish to review the tax position after April 5th'.

I am still on JSA. Am i supposed to just send it all away again now, considering April 5th has now passed??

Also, the jobcentre sent me a statement this morning with various tax information on it : - 'A certificate of taxable pay and benefit'
Is this something to do with it?? Do i need to send it all away together again??

Someone else told me that it should have all been done automatically for me a few weeks ago if you are still claiming???

cheers.

That form is probably a P60U (if not, please post again with the name stated on the form), and this is what you need to reclaim any overpaid Income Tax if you're on JSA until the end of the tax year (5 April each year). You'll need to write to your tax office (contact details here) requesting a refund of any overpayment and enclosing a copy of that form and Parts 2 and 3 of your P45. Refunds of overpaid Income Tax from previous years won't usually be made unless you actively request them.
Reply 398
Illusionary
That form is probably a P60U (if not, please post again with the name stated on the form), and this is what you need to reclaim any overpaid Income Tax if you're on JSA until the end of the tax year (5 April each year). You'll need to write to your tax office (contact details here) requesting a refund of any overpayment and enclosing a copy of that form and Parts 2 and 3 of your P45. Refunds of overpaid Income Tax from previous years won't usually be made unless you actively request them.

Thanks!
I knew someone would know! Yes, the form is a P60U.
So send it away with my P45 (part 2 and 3)

Thats what i assumed, but there seems to be lots of missinformation out there when i was researching. Shame that they dont make these things MUCH much clearer. They're very clear when its them taking money from you! lol

Cheers.
daytrader
Thanks!
I knew someone would know! Yes, the form is a P60U.
So send it away with my P45 (part 2 and 3)

Thats what i assumed, but there seems to be lots of missinformation out there when i was researching. Shame that they dont make these things MUCH much clearer. They're very clear when its them taking money from you! lol

Cheers.

Exactly :yes:

The procedure is much the same as that described in my guide in the TSR wiki (as linked to in the first post of this thread and in my signature), though with a P60U rather than a normal P60.

Latest

Trending

Trending