The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sultryabyss
Hi all,

Im a mature student currently doing my A-levels to go to uni. A friend of mine did the same last year in exactly the same situation he said that he was able to claim tax back at the end of the financial year because he didnt work a whole year. I can see the logic in this but have no idea what to do or anything. Has anyone else done this before?

Thanks! :smile:

How much tax have you paid, on what income and when? Each 'tax year' (6 April to 5 April) is treated separately for the purpose of calculating your Income Tax liability. It's possible that you may be entitled to an Income Tax refund if you stop working before the end of a tax year in which you've been paying tax, in which case my guide in the TSR wiki explains how to do so, here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Income_Tax_and_National_Insurance#Reclaiming_overpaid_Income_Tax
(edited 13 years ago)
thank you, you little love!
Ive never had a proper employer and had my income taxed, so how would i find out what my tax district and reference number are. I need them to fill a form for jsa..
anonstudent1
Ive never had a proper employer and had my income taxed, so how would i find out what my tax district and reference number are. I need them to fill a form for jsa..

HMRC have a search tool on their website: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp?type=1 :smile:
Illusionary

Thank you
Reply 585
I got my first wage slip throught the other week to find that i had been taxed 20% of my wages. I'm not sure if this is right or not as i am only employed part-time and work 13-15 hours a week. I was wondering if someone could help me with this?
you are probably on emergency tax code, go and tell your employer so they can change it
The employer would just tell you to go to the tax office, so you may as well just call them directly.
FBFx
I got my first wage slip throught the other week to find that i had been taxed 20% of my wages. I'm not sure if this is right or not as i am only employed part-time and work 13-15 hours a week. I was wondering if someone could help me with this?

What is the "tax code" shown on your payslip? I'd guess that it's "BR", which means that you're not receiving the benefit of your annual tax-free 'personal allowance' (currently £6,475 for most people). On the assumption that this is your only source of income then this is probably incorrect.

Did you complete a form P46 for your employer when starting the work? If you didn't, this is likely to be what's causing the problem. I'd suggest a quick call to your tax office (contact details here) as they may be able to direct your employer to change your tax code, though they may well suggest completing a form P46 now. Once your tax code is corrected (most likely to "647L"[noparse])[/noparse] you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax through the payroll system the next time that you're paid.
Reply 589
Yes the tax code is BR. I didn't fill out any type of form about tax or a P46 form.
I'll give them a call and see if any changes can be made.
FBFx
Yes the tax code is BR. I didn't fill out any type of form about tax or a P46 form.
I'll give them a call and see if any changes can be made.

This will almost certainly be the problem then. When starting a new job, you should always either pass your employer a P45 from the same tax year (if you've been employed previously) or complete a P46.
I have two part-time jobs, and am not taxed for the first one but am taxed on the tax code BR for the second one. Even with both of them, I make less than the personal allowance limit.

I am completely clueless about how to change this. I've got to give my boss a call today anyway so should I ask him about changing my tax code? Or does the fact that I've got two jobs- both zero-hour contracts- change this?
littlemoth
I have two part-time jobs, and am not taxed for the first one but am taxed on the tax code BR for the second one. Even with both of them, I make less than the personal allowance limit.

I am completely clueless about how to change this. I've got to give my boss a call today anyway so should I ask him about changing my tax code? Or does the fact that I've got two jobs- both zero-hour contracts- change this?

With multiple jobs, this is the default position unless you specifically take action to change it and it's not something that your employer would be able to sort out on their own. You can wait until the end of the tax year and then make a claim for any Income Tax refund that you may be due; alternatively, give your tax office a call and ask them to split your personal allowance (currently £6,475 for most peopl) between the two jobs, in an appropriate ratio. You should then receive an updated tax code for each job and once these have been updated you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax through the payroll system the next time that you're paid.

You can find the contact details for your tax office here: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp?type=1
Reply 593
yo yo ladies and gents,
ive recently got a job at the local supermarket while im at 6th form, and my first pay packet got taxed the grand amount of £78.80 :redface: i know! how do i get this money back as ive researched and found out im not suppost to be taxed, i dont earn enough but ive been placed on some sort of emergency 20% tax thing which is crippling my budget haha, any ideas of how i sort this out? any one who has been in the same position?

gracias.
Charlad
yo yo ladies and gents,
ive recently got a job at the local supermarket while im at 6th form, and my first pay packet got taxed the grand amount of £78.80 :redface: i know! how do i get this money back as ive researched and found out im not suppost to be taxed, i dont earn enough but ive been placed on some sort of emergency 20% tax thing which is crippling my budget haha, any ideas of how i sort this out? any one who has been in the same position?

gracias.

I assume that you didn't complete a form P46 when you started the job? If you didn't, that's almost certainly the problem. A quick call to your tax office (check your payslips for this) would be a good way to start, but they may well suggest that you complete a form P46 and hand this in to your employer now.

You've probably been given a 'tax code' of "BR" (again, check your payslips), which means that your 'personal allowance' of tax-free income isn't taken account of when calculating Income Tax deductions. Once your P46 has been processed your tax code should be updated (likely to [noparse]"647L"[/noparse]) and you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax through the payroll system the next time that you're paid.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 596
hi, if i am working for the christmas period and i am 19 years old do i have to pay national insurance nad tax.it is only a temporary job and it is my first job
moomer1
hi, if i am working for the christmas period and i am 19 years old do i have to pay national insurance nad tax.it is only a temporary job and it is my first job

Usually your education status and age have no effect on whether you should be paying Income Tax and National Insurance. However, if you're working only during holiday periods while in full time education and your employer chooses to accept procedure, you can receive your income without deduction of Income Tax that would usually be deducted by completing a form P38(S) and handing this to your employer.

You can download the form from here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p38s.pdf
(edited 13 years ago)
I've never worked before (I'm 18) and I'm about to start working part time.

My question is when do I start getting taxed and how much do you usually get taxed?
£6,475 is how much you're allowed to earn before you get taxed. I don't know off the top of my head how much you'd get taxed, but it wouldn't be too much if you aren't too far over that threshold.

Latest

Trending

Trending