The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by Illusionary
You can't, but don't need to. :nah:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/number.htm#5

:sad: but stupid that you can't get another one. What happens if you've never had any paperwork with one on?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Mess.
:sad: but stupid that you can't get another one. What happens if you've never had any paperwork with one on?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Call the helpline as above. :smile:

Thanks for that, I guess a family member can be a sponsor? It would be easier to use money from family than horrendously high interest loans from SFE
Original post by Funky_Climber
Thanks for that, I guess a family member can be a sponsor? It would be easier to use money from family than horrendously high interest loans from SFE

A straight gift from family wouldn't usually be subject to Income Tax; there are potential Inheritance Tax implications, but (and I'm sorry that this sounds a bit morbid) so long as they don't die within seven years of the gift then I wouldn't expect there to be any liability there either.
Yep, just call your tax office in the first instance: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/contactus/view.page?record=hpkspulskxM

Have your National Insurance number to hand.

Hi,

I spoke to the tax office. Basically, they said that I have to give them my jobseekers details from the 2010 to 2011 period, and the 2011 to 2012 period.

I was told by the person on the phone to go to the jobcentre and get something called a tax details enquiry screen and to quote a reference number he gave me. Are you aware of something like this?
Original post by firestar101
Hi,

I spoke to the tax office. Basically, they said that I have to give them my jobseekers details from the 2010 to 2011 period, and the 2011 to 2012 period.

I was told by the person on the phone to go to the jobcentre and get something called a tax details enquiry screen and to quote a reference number he gave me. Are you aware of something like this?

It's not something that I'm personally aware of, but I'm not an expert on JSA. It certainly sounds quite reasonable, though. :smile:
I don't have to fill out a P38S if I'm planning on working outside the uni holidays (in Oct/Nov in a part-time position) right?
Original post by Mr.Messy
I don't have to fill out a P38S if I'm planning on working outside the uni holidays (in Oct/Nov in a part-time position) right?

There's not an obligation to complete a form P38(S) in any situation - it's a form that can allow the use of a special tax treatment. You're correct, though, in that the form can't be used if you're not working exclusively during holiday periods.

You should hand in to your employer the form P45 from your previous job if you have one, or else complete a form P46 for them.
Reply 1528
Hey all,
I have just started my first job waitressing, which is just a part time summer job for this year. I don't yet have a P45 and have no idea how to get one. Also, I am currently being paid cash in hand, so I'm not sure what to do about pay slips. I have a feeling I'm being fiddled when it comes to tax. I've been told that I'm on 4.83 an hour, and that a tiny amount gets added on to that for tips, and then tax gets taken off so that I end up with 5.00 an hour. I don't understand this, as I haven't yet received a payslip so I don't think my employer has done anything about my tax at all? Any suggestions on how to deal with the situation would be helpful. I have been made aware that it would not be 'good' for me if I questioned the wages too much by another member of staff, and obviously I don't want to be fired.

Thanks!
Basically I've had a look on the forums but can't seem to find anything that answers my questions specifically!

I just got a 2nd job starting wednesday and the employer asked about getting Taxed since I have 2 jobs.
The thing is.. this second job is a 14 hour contract part time job and I will be working overtime throughout summer as a "full time" sales assistant and being paid minimum wage.

My first job is at a pub and I do get pay slips weekly but it is cash in hand and is shift work. Some weeks I work 1 day some weeks I work 4... and some weeks I don't work at all. So its varies? I filled out hrm revenue forms for it but I don't have a proper contract stating minimum hours and I am not entitled to holiday pay either.

So I want to know if I will get taxed on my 2nd job working at 40 hours a week or will I get emergency taxed since I don't have a p.46 either.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated as the internet has a lot of answers to questions on 2 jobs/student taxing (usually you are taxed as a non student) but my situation is slightly different so been difficult to find any answers!
Reply 1530
I don't really know how its supposed to work but I have a friend who works two jobs and she always gets taxed on the second one and then at the end of the year can claim some of it back.
I've always been taxed on any second job.

At the end of the financial year (April-time) you will be eligible to receive a tax rebate.
Reply 1532
Original post by marcusmerehay

At the end of the financial year (April-time) you will be eligible to receive a tax rebate.

Or contact HMRC and tell them that you won't be working enough hours to reach the taxable pay threshold, and avoid paying it in the first place (assuming you won't be working enough hours).
Original post by Becstasy
Basically I've had a look on the forums but can't seem to find anything that answers my questions specifically!

I just got a 2nd job starting wednesday and the employer asked about getting Taxed since I have 2 jobs.
The thing is.. this second job is a 14 hour contract part time job and I will be working overtime throughout summer as a "full time" sales assistant and being paid minimum wage.

My first job is at a pub and I do get pay slips weekly but it is cash in hand and is shift work. Some weeks I work 1 day some weeks I work 4... and some weeks I don't work at all. So its varies? I filled out hrm revenue forms for it but I don't have a proper contract stating minimum hours and I am not entitled to holiday pay either.

So I want to know if I will get taxed on my 2nd job working at 40 hours a week or will I get emergency taxed since I don't have a p.46 either.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated as the internet has a lot of answers to questions on 2 jobs/student taxing (usually you are taxed as a non student) but my situation is slightly different so been difficult to find any answers!

I take it that you've not seen my guide in the TSR wiki? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Income_Tax_and_National_Insurance#Common_Problems_and_Scenarios :tongue:

You should be aware that students are subject to Income Tax just as other UK residents are - being a student doesn't exempt you from paying Income Tax, but if your total income for the year is covered by your 'personal allowance' of income that you can receive without paying Income Tax (currently set at £8,105 for 2012/13) then you shouldn't ultimately have any liability for the year.

With a second job situation, it's usual that the second job doesn't have any of that personal allowance allocated to it so that you end up paying basic rate (20%) Income Tax on all of your earnings, then can reclaim this following the end of the year. You can, though, contact HMRC and request that a portion of your personal allowance (work out how much is needed to cover your expected earnings) is allocated to the second job - they can arrange this by adjusting your tax codes.

I'd strongly advise that you are getting taxed correctly on your first job. If you're getting payslips then you probably are, but do these show a 'tax code'? If so, what is it?
Original post by marcusmerehay
I've always been taxed on any second job.

The end of the tax year is 5 April each year. :smile:
Original post by zoooey
Hey all,
I have just started my first job waitressing, which is just a part time summer job for this year. I don't yet have a P45 and have no idea how to get one. Also, I am currently being paid cash in hand, so I'm not sure what to do about pay slips. I have a feeling I'm being fiddled when it comes to tax. I've been told that I'm on 4.83 an hour, and that a tiny amount gets added on to that for tips, and then tax gets taken off so that I end up with 5.00 an hour. I don't understand this, as I haven't yet received a payslip so I don't think my employer has done anything about my tax at all? Any suggestions on how to deal with the situation would be helpful. I have been made aware that it would not be 'good' for me if I questioned the wages too much by another member of staff, and obviously I don't want to be fired.

Thanks!

A form P45 comes from a previous employer; as this is your first job you wouldn't expect to have one. Instead, you need to complete a form P46 and hand this in to your employer: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

I can't be any more specific on what's been done re Income Tax without knowing details from your payslips but you should demand these from your employer as you're entitled to receive them. However, if you've not completed a form P46 then your employer may be deducting basic rate (20%) Income Tax from all of your pay, without allowing for the £8,105 annual 'personal allowance' of tax-free income that you can receive - this is common. Completing a form P46 is the first step towards resolving this.
I take it that you've not seen my guide in the TSR wiki? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Income_Tax_and_National_Insurance#Common_Problems_and_Scenarios :tongue:

You should be aware that students are subject to Income Tax just as other UK residents are - being a student doesn't exempt you from paying Income Tax, but if your total income for the year is covered by your 'personal allowance' of income that you can receive without paying Income Tax (currently set at £8,105 for 2012/13) then you shouldn't ultimately have any liability for the year.

With a second job situation, it's usual that the second job doesn't have any of that personal allowance allocated to it so that you end up paying basic rate (20%) Income Tax on all of your earnings, then can reclaim this following the end of the year. You can, though, contact HMRC and request that a portion of your personal allowance (work out how much is needed to cover your expected earnings) is allocated to the second job - they can arrange this by adjusting your tax codes.

I'd strongly advise that you are getting taxed correctly on your first job. If you're getting payslips then you probably are, but do these show a 'tax code'? If so, what is it?

I have just read that post and I am aware students get taxed but what I'm saying is that my first job is cash in hand and varies and my 2nd job is also part time (14 hours). So technically I will be earning less than £3,000 a year which is less than the "personal allowance". During summer will be working over time and is just temporary and the total earnings for the year should still be less than £7,000.

I shouldn't get taxed because I don't earn enough but will I get taxed based on the sole reason I have a 2nd job because it sounds like I will be by what you said? Would it be advised to just keep the one stable job then? Since my pub job is casual and I can come and go whenever I wish to work and my 2nd has a contract I sign etc.

Also my tax code is 810L

Thanks! Xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Becstasy
I have just read that post and I am aware students get taxed but what I'm saying is that my first job is cash in hand and varies and my 2nd job is also part time (14 hours). So technically I will be earning less than £3,000 a year which is less than the "personal allowance". During summer will be working over time and is just temporary and the total earnings for the year should still be less than £7,000.

I shouldn't get taxed because I don't earn enough but will I get taxed based on the sole reason I have a 2nd job because it sounds like I will be by what you said? Would it be advised to just keep the one stable job then? Since my pub job is casual and I can come and go whenever I wish to work and my 2nd has a contract I sign etc.

Also my tax code is 810L

Thanks! Xx
That tax code should be fine for your first job.

For your second job, if you want to do what you can to avoid paying Income Tax that you later have to reclaim then you'll need to contact your tax office and arrange to split your personal allowance, as I suggested above. The specific contractual arrangements of your employment aren't really relevant here - it's just down to the amounts and pattern of your earnings.
I had a quick question regarding pay from an internship I did last year. It was a full time thing for 3 months in the summer and I recall getting taxed on monthly pay. Is it too late to reclaim that back at this stage?

Its written as NI Tax on the payslip.
Reply 1539
There are certain circumstances in which you can get a NI refund, but I wouldn't bother as all contributions build up your entitlement to certain state benefits, including the State Pension.

Here's a link if you want to look into getting a refund.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/refunds-complaints/claimback.htm

Latest

Trending

Trending